Velocity Reviews

-   -   easy port question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t7011-easy-port-question.html)

J Lunis 07-21-2005 07:53 PM

easy port question

Posted here a while back on a smililar question. Trying now to find
more info.
Originally, I wanted to know how to open and close ports in Norton
Firewall and how to check ports to see what is open.
A few people here suggested sites that run port tests and consistently
these tests came back 'stealthed.'
I am trying to get Tivo software on my PC to communicate with my Tivo
DVR over a network. Can't get it to work.
(PC > router - ethernet)
(router to Tivo DVR - wireless)
Tivo claims ports 2190 and 8080-8089 must be open.
Somewhere I read Norton Firewall does not have the capability to open
ports. As a test, I disabled Norton and Windows Firewall.
Communication still failed.

Now Tivo is saying I need to open ports on my router (Dell(linksys?)).
I can find nowhere on the router to open ports and a Dell tech guy
claims the router does not have the capability.

A few questions.
Isn't opening ports a security risk? Or does a router and sw firewall
still protect me? I have a hard time imagining a large corp like TIVO
would build sw requiring me to compromise security.
Is it possible to open ports in Norton Firewall?
Is it possible to open ports on my Dell router?
BTW, I realize only people with these products might be able to answer
these, but I am inclined to think both can open ports.
If security tests I have run confirm ports are stealthed . . .
1) How do I know if the sw or router have them stealthed?
2) Will disabling Norton Firewall open the ports?
(Dell says it is not possible to disable/bypass the router.)

Clark 07-21-2005 07:59 PM

Re: easy port question

http://customersupport.tivo.com/subjects.asp

Go through some of the articles, including which adapters work with TiVo

Clark

J Lunis 07-21-2005 11:19 PM

Re: easy port question

Clark wrote:
> http://customersupport.tivo.com/subjects.asp
>
> Go through some of the articles, including which adapters work with TiVo
>
> Clark
>
> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Posted here a while back on a smililar question. Trying now to find more
>>info.
>>Originally, I wanted to know how to open and close ports in Norton
>>Firewall and how to check ports to see what is open.
>>A few people here suggested sites that run port tests and consistently
>>these tests came back 'stealthed.'
>>I am trying to get Tivo software on my PC to communicate with my Tivo DVR
>>over a network. Can't get it to work.
>>(PC > router - ethernet)
>>(router to Tivo DVR - wireless)
>>Tivo claims ports 2190 and 8080-8089 must be open.
>>Somewhere I read Norton Firewall does not have the capability to open
>>ports. As a test, I disabled Norton and Windows Firewall. Communication
>>still failed.
>>
>>Now Tivo is saying I need to open ports on my router (Dell(linksys?)).
>>I can find nowhere on the router to open ports and a Dell tech guy claims
>>the router does not have the capability.
>>
>>A few questions.
>>Isn't opening ports a security risk? Or does a router and sw firewall
>>still protect me? I have a hard time imagining a large corp like TIVO
>>would build sw requiring me to compromise security.
>>Is it possible to open ports in Norton Firewall?
>>Is it possible to open ports on my Dell router?
>>BTW, I realize only people with these products might be able to answer
>>these, but I am inclined to think both can open ports.
>>If security tests I have run confirm ports are stealthed . . .
>> 1) How do I know if the sw or router have them stealthed?
>> 2) Will disabling Norton Firewall open the ports?
>> (Dell says it is not possible to disable/bypass the router.)

Been there. Read them all. TIvo works perfectly with my laptop. Can't
get it to communicate with my PC.

Andrew C 07-22-2005 12:15 AM

Re: easy port question

you should look at the configuration on your laptop and try to compare it to
the desktop and change any different settings to the exact same as the
laptop and see is you have any luck doing that.

Clark 07-22-2005 04:19 PM

Re: easy port question

I am assuming your laptop is wireless and the desktop is not. If you are
going through the router and the laptop works, then the settings must be
correct, unless the TiVo is possibly connecting directly to your wireless
laptop.

Look on the router and see if the TiVo has an IP address. Probably in the
DHCP client window. Then try to ping it from the laptop and desktop. You
might even do a pathping to see if they are the same.

I have never set up a TiVo for wireless, but did you use the laptop to do
that? You might go over those instructions to see if you notice anything.

Clark

J Lunis 07-22-2005 11:07 PM

Re: easy port question

Andrew C wrote:
> you should look at the configuration on your laptop and try to compare it to
> the desktop and change any different settings to the exact same as the
> laptop and see is you have any luck doing that.
> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Clark wrote:
>>
>>>http://customersupport.tivo.com/subjects.asp
>>>
>>>Go through some of the articles, including which adapters work with TiVo
>>>
>>>Clark
>>>
>>>"J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>Been there. Read them all. TIvo works perfectly with my laptop. Can't
>>get it to communicate with my PC.

Yeah, did that. Looks identical.
One difference - If I ping Tivo from the laptop
(actually, telnet 'address' 80), it passes. Same test on the PC fails.

Clark 07-22-2005 11:31 PM

Re: easy port question

Well I don't understand why you can't ping the TiVo. I just went through
the Tivo setup and it seems you probably used DHCP to set it up. Have you
checked the addresses since you did that? What are they?

I also got this from the site concerning your port openings:

a.. TCP Port 2190
b.. UDP Port 2190
c.. TCP Ports 8080-8089
If you have a newer router, the port adjustments might be in a Gaming area,
if not perhaps in a filtering area. Note you have to enable both the TCP
and UDP for port 2190. You might also try the Enabling WAN requests. This
may be worded backward, so make sure you are enabling it. This part is only
a guess so be ready to set it back if it doesn't help. I am not even sure
if you have to enable them if everything is inside your subnet.

Maybe someone will come along that knows how to do this.

Clark

J Lunis 07-23-2005 11:07 PM

Re: easy port question

Clark wrote:
> I am assuming your laptop is wireless and the desktop is not. If you are
> going through the router and the laptop works, then the settings must be
> correct, unless the TiVo is possibly connecting directly to your wireless
> laptop.
>
> Look on the router and see if the TiVo has an IP address. Probably in the
> DHCP client window. Then try to ping it from the laptop and desktop. You
> might even do a pathping to see if they are the same.
>
> I have never set up a TiVo for wireless, but did you use the laptop to do
> that? You might go over those instructions to see if you notice anything.
>
> Clark

pathping? What do I do?

Clark 07-24-2005 01:08 AM

Re: easy port question

Just like a ping. Open a command window and type pathping 192.168.1.1 or
whatever. It is almost the same thing as tracert.

J Lunis 07-25-2005 11:08 AM

Re: easy port question

Clark wrote:
> Well I don't understand why you can't ping the TiVo. I just went through
> the Tivo setup and it seems you probably used DHCP to set it up. Have you
> checked the addresses since you did that? What are they?
>
> I also got this from the site concerning your port openings:
>
> a.. TCP Port 2190
> b.. UDP Port 2190
> c.. TCP Ports 8080-8089
> If you have a newer router, the port adjustments might be in a Gaming area,
> if not perhaps in a filtering area. Note you have to enable both the TCP
> and UDP for port 2190. You might also try the Enabling WAN requests. This
> may be worded backward, so make sure you are enabling it. This part is only
> a guess so be ready to set it back if it doesn't help. I am not even sure
> if you have to enable them if everything is inside your subnet.
>
> Maybe someone will come along that knows how to do this.
>
> Clark

Sorry for the slow reply. I'll look for WAN settings. I'll also check
for filtering.
To my knowledge, I did use DHCP.