Velocity Reviews

-   -   ANN: ActivePython 2.6.3.7 (and PyPM) is now available (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t700701-ann-activepython-2-6-3-7-and-pypm-is-now-available.html)

Sridhar Ratnakumar 10-07-2009 12:16 AM

ANN: ActivePython 2.6.3.7 (and PyPM) is now available

I'm happy to announce that ActivePython 2.6.3.7 is now available for
download from:

http://www.activestate.com/activepython/

This is a patch-level release that updates ActivePython to core Python
2.6.3 along with the fixes for a couple of critical regressions that
instigated the work on 2.6.4. See the release notes for full details:

http://docs.activestate.com/activepy.../relnotes.html

Introducing PyPM
----------------

This release includes a new packaging tool by activestate called Python
Package Manager (PyPM). PyPM - currently in beta - is the package
management utility for ActivePython. It simplifies the task of locating,
installing, upgrading and removing Python modules. For full details,
see:

http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/2.6/pypm.html

Here's a sample command line output::

$ pypm install lxml
Get: [pypm.activestate.com] :repository-index:
Ready to perform these actions:
The following packages will be installed:
lxml-2.2.2
Get: [pypm.activestate.com] lxml 2.2.2-1
Installing lxml-2.2.2
$ python
>>> import lxml.etree
>>>^D

$ pypm remove lxml
Ready to perform these actions:
The following packages will be removed:
lxml-2.2.2
Removing lxml-2.2.2

$ pypm install pylons
Ready to perform these actions:
The following packages will be installed:
pastescript-1.7.3 formencode-1.2.2 weberror-0.10.1 simplejson-2.0.9
routes-1.11 nose-0.11.1 mako-0.2.5 past
edeploy-1.3.3 pylons-0.9.7 tempita-0.4 webtest-1.2 beaker-1.4.2
webhelpers-0.6.4 paste-1.7.2 pygments-1.1.1
decorator-3.1.2 webob-0.9.6.1
Get: [pypm.activestate.com] formencode 1.2.2-1
Get: [pypm.activestate.com] nose 0.11.1-1
[...]
Get: [pypm.activestate.com] decorator 3.1.2-1
Get: [pypm.activestate.com] webob 0.9.6.1-1
Installing formencode-1.2.2
Installing weberror-0.10.1
[...]
Installing pygments-1.1.1
Fixing script /home/sridharr/.local/bin/pygmentize
Installing decorator-3.1.2

What is ActivePython?
---------------------

ActivePython is ActiveState's binary distribution of Python. Builds for
Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, HP-UX and AIX are made freely available.

ActivePython includes the Python core and the many core extensions: zlib
and bzip2 for data compression, the Berkeley DB (bsddb) and SQLite
(sqlite3) database libraries, OpenSSL bindings for HTTPS support, the
Tix GUI widgets for Tkinter, ElementTree for XML processing, ctypes (on
supported platforms) for low-level library access, and others. The
Windows distribution ships with PyWin32 -- a suite of Windows tools
developed by Mark Hammond, including bindings to the Win32 API and
Windows COM. See this page for full details:

http://docs.activestate.com/activepy...sincluded.html

As well, ActivePython ships with a wealth of documentation for both new
and experienced Python programmers. In addition to the core Python docs,
ActivePython includes the "What's New in Python" series, "Dive into
Python", the Python FAQs & HOWTOs, and the Python Enhancement Proposals
(PEPs).

An online version of the docs can be found here:

http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/2.6/

We would welcome any and all feedback to:

ActivePython-feedback@activestate.com

Please file bugs against ActivePython at:

http://bugs.activestate.com/query.cg...t=ActivePython

On what platforms does ActivePython run?

ActivePython includes installers for the following platforms:

- Windows/x86
- Windows/x64 (aka "AMD64")
- Mac OS X
- Linux/x86
- Linux/x86_64 (aka "AMD64")
- Solaris/SPARC
- Solaris/x86
- HP-UX/PA-RISC
- AIX/PowerPC
- AIX/PowerPC 64-bit

Extra Bits
----------

ActivePython releases also include the following:

- ActivePython26.chm: An MS compiled help collection of the full
ActivePython documentation set. Linux users of applications such as
xCHM might find this useful. This package is installed by default on
Windows.

Extra bits are available from:

http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePython/etc/

Thanks, and enjoy!

The Python Team

--
Sridhar Ratnakumar
sridharr at activestate.com

Robert H 10-07-2009 01:46 AM

Re: ANN: ActivePython 2.6.3.7 (and PyPM) is now available

On Oct 6, 8:16*pm, "Sridhar Ratnakumar" <sridh...@activestate.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> * * *http://bugs.activestate.com/query.cg...t=ActivePython
>
> On what platforms does ActivePython run?
>
> ActivePython includes installers for the following platforms:
>
> - Windows/x86
> - Windows/x64 (aka "AMD64")
> - Mac OS X
> - Linux/x86
> - Linux/x86_64 (aka "AMD64")
> - Solaris/SPARC
> - Solaris/x86
> - HP-UX/PA-RISC
> - AIX/PowerPC
> - AIX/PowerPC 64-bit
>
> Extra Bits
> ----------
>
> ActivePython releases also include the following:
>
> - ActivePython26.chm: An MS compiled help collection of the full
> * *ActivePython documentation set. Linux users of applications such as
> * *xCHM might find this useful. This package is installed by default on

Very nice, I will try it out since I am in the process of learning
Python.

Bob

denis 10-16-2009 10:30 AM

Re: ANN: ActivePython 2.6.3.7 (and PyPM) is now available

On Oct 7, 2:16*am, "Sridhar Ratnakumar" <sridh...@activestate.com>
wrote:
> This release includes a new packaging tool by activestate called Python
> Package Manager (PyPM).PyPM- currently in beta - is the package

Sridhar, folks,
the ActivePython FAQ says
"While you can install most packages registered in PyPI using the PyPM
client, some packages may not yet be available in the ActiveState
repository"

Does that mean that PyPM installs ONLY from the activestate repository
and not from url or .tar.gz or dir/ ?

cheers
-- denis

srid 10-16-2009 12:23 PM

On Oct 16, 3:30*pm, denis <denis-bz...@t-online.de> wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2:16*am, "Sridhar Ratnakumar" <sridh...@activestate.com>
> wrote:

> > This release includes a new packaging tool by activestate called Python
> > Package Manager (PyPM).PyPM- currently in beta - is the package

> Sridhar, folks,
> * the ActivePython FAQ says
> "While you can install most packages registered in PyPI using the PyPM
> client, some packages may not yet be available in the ActiveState
> repository"
>
> Does that mean that PyPM installs ONLY from the activestate repository
> and not from url or .tar.gz or dir/ ?

This is correct. Although it may change in the future. Note that
almost all the packages are available in the activestate repository
(see pypm.activestate.com). Some packages are not in the repository
due to build or metadata issues .. that will be slowly patched on our
side (if the package is popular) or the package authors can fix it
themselves.

As for installing from a URL, you may use easy_install (included in
ActivePython). For .tar.gz and dir/, run 'python setup.py install'
manually.

HTH.

-srid

PS: You can pass -vv option to see the actual URL of the package being
downloaded. Eg: "pypm -vv install lxml"

denis 10-16-2009 01:42 PM

On Oct 16, 2:23*pm, srid <sridhar.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Does that mean that PyPM installs ONLY from the activestate repository
> > and not from url or .tar.gz or dir/ ?

> This is correct. Although it may change in the future. Note that

Sridhar, activestate folks,
if you want people to switch to PyPM, make it UNIFORM and
COMPATIBLE.
"Use tool A for this, tool B for that" => FearUncertaintyandDoubt =>
reduced market share
(at least for people who don't enjoy FearUncertaintyandDoubt)

cheers
-- denis