Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t699999-anyone-using-kde-4-3-day-to-day.html)

Lodi 09-30-2009 10:15 PM

Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.

With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's time to
finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 as they
were released but they were all big fails as far as I was concerned (and
judging by the forums quite a few others agreed with me). Nowhere near the
class of KDE3.

Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in the
last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a pile
of in the first place)

I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around as
opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide whether to
stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the release or just say to
hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3 which is the default when
installing Karmic.

I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K programmes now
have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their no-longer-supported
KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated (except for the
obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :-)

Regards
Lodi

Bruce Sinclair 09-30-2009 11:44 PM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
In article <ha0lab$tv$1@news.eternal-september.org>, Lodi <lodi@ccr.com> wrote:
>Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.
>
>With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's time to
>finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 as they
>were released but they were all big fails as far as I was concerned (and
>judging by the forums quite a few others agreed with me). Nowhere near the
>class of KDE3.
>
>Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in the
>last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a pile
>of in the first place)
>
>I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around as
>opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide whether to
>stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the release or just say to
>hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3 which is the default when
>installing Karmic.
>
>I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K programmes now
>have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their no-longer-supported
>KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated (except for the
>obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :-)


I'm still using 3, so without any experience of 4 ...
I've seen few or no reasons why 4 is a good idea (ie what does it add ?). As
you suggest, I've seen many comments that 4 is not good (and very few that
it has anything extra to offer). Why would you want to ? :)


John Little 10-01-2009 04:42 AM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
While KDE 4.1 was a "disaster" (it just didn't work for me) 4.2 was
not so bad at all, indeed I mostly fixed my broken KDE by installing
4.2 when the developers released it. I still don't understand what
KDE 4 plasmoids are about, but some of the compositing effects are a
step forward.

Regards, John

Enkidu 10-01-2009 06:18 AM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
Lodi wrote:
> Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.
>
> With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's
> time to finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1
> and 4.2 as they were released but they were all big fails as far as I
> was concerned (and judging by the forums quite a few others agreed
> with me). Nowhere near the class of KDE3.
>
> Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes
> in the last six months (which begs the question why did they release
> such a pile of in the first place)
>
> I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around
> as opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide
> whether to stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the
> release or just say to hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3
> which is the default when installing Karmic.
>
> I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K
> programmes now have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their
> no-longer-supported KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts
> appreciated (except for the obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :-)
>

KDE sucks.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
the same old personalities show through.

Carnations 10-01-2009 10:12 AM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:15:44 +1300, Lodi wrote:

> Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in
> the last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a
> pile of in the first place)


I think you'll find that each release achieved specific milestones in the development process, and that
KDE 4.0 was the milestone where the APIs for KDE 4 were finalized.

No I'm not using KDE 4 - still on KDE 3.5.9, but have KDE 4 installed so that I can use some of the KDE
4 applications as they look nicer than the KDE 3 ones.

Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

Carnations 10-01-2009 10:15 AM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:18:03 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>> I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K
>> programmes now have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their
>> no-longer-supported KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated
>> (except for the obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :-)
>>

> KDE sucks.


Of course whether or not "sucking" is good or bad is entirely relative and context specific.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

Tony Manco 10-01-2009 04:15 PM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
Lodi wrote:

> Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.
>
> With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's time
> to finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 as
> they were released but they were all big fails as far as I was concerned
> (and judging by the forums quite a few others agreed with me). Nowhere
> near the class of KDE3.
>
> Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in the
> last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a pile
> of in the first place)
>
> I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around as
> opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide whether
> to stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the release or just say
> to hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3 which is the default when
> installing Karmic.
>
> I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K programmes
> now have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their
> no-longer-supported KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated
> (except for the obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :-)
>
> Regards
> Lodi



I can't compare with KDE 3 since I came from the Gnome land, but I've been
running KDE 4.3.1 for about a month and it's working pretty nicely.

In comparison to Gnome, I like KDE 4 a lot more...

Cheers
--
The UNIX Guru`s view of Sex:
unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; sleep

Biggless 10-01-2009 08:53 PM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:12:49 +0000, Carnations wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:15:44 +1300, Lodi wrote:
>
>> Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in
>> the last six months (which begs the question why did they release such
>> a pile of in the first place)

>
> I think you'll find that each release achieved specific milestones in
> the development process, and that KDE 4.0 was the milestone where the
> APIs for KDE 4 were finalized.
>


Kde 4 was Just alpha code that should never have been released to any
major distro's. Even Torvalds called kde4 a ****ing disaster !

> No I'm not using KDE 4 - still on KDE 3.5.9, but have KDE 4 installed so
> that I can use some of the KDE 4 applications as they look nicer than
> the KDE 3 ones.
>
> Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.


KDE3 is dead regarding your precious opensuse , well come November it
will be... so much for freedom of choice that Linux gives you ..

You also claimed kde4.4 would be orgasmic bliss lennier ... the world is
still waiting on your stupid claims..


Biggles..

Gordon 10-02-2009 05:10 AM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
On 2009-10-01, Biggless <nonya@somewheresouthofhere.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:12:49 +0000, Carnations wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:15:44 +1300, Lodi wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in
>>> the last six months (which begs the question why did they release such
>>> a pile of in the first place)

>>
>> I think you'll find that each release achieved specific milestones in
>> the development process, and that KDE 4.0 was the milestone where the
>> APIs for KDE 4 were finalized.
>>

>
> Kde 4 was Just alpha code that should never have been released to any
> major distro's. Even Torvalds called kde4 a ****ing disaster !


So, lets give it a test drive and report back. People have.


>
>> No I'm not using KDE 4 - still on KDE 3.5.9, but have KDE 4 installed so
>> that I can use some of the KDE 4 applications as they look nicer than
>> the KDE 3 ones.
>>
>> Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.

>
> KDE3 is dead regarding your precious opensuse , well come November it
> will be... so much for freedom of choice that Linux gives you ..


FFS, what part of open source do you not understand?

Also what part of development do you not understand, eg Vista out of Micro
Soft

Gordon 10-02-2009 05:11 AM

Re: Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?
 
On 2009-10-01, Carnations <Beautiful@Carnations.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:18:03 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>>> I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K
>>> programmes now have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their
>>> no-longer-supported KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated
>>> (except for the obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :-)
>>>

>> KDE sucks.

>
> Of course whether or not "sucking" is good or bad is entirely relative and context specific.
>
>

As in blow job


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.