Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Security in router link" TIA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t699332-security-in-router-link-tia.html)

sandy58 09-24-2009 08:29 AM

"Security in router link" TIA

My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC
be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I
require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions
regarding software, please? TIA

Jeff Strickland 09-24-2009 03:18 PM

Re: "Security in router link" TIA

"sandy58" <aleckie68@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC
> be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I
> require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions
> regarding software, please? TIA

By dongle? By wireless, yes. The form of the wireless adaptor might be a
dongle -- USB-based wireless adaptor.

The wireless adaptor talks to a router, and the Internet traffic through the
router to the laptop is not protected, and the laptop needs its own
anti-virus.

JD 09-24-2009 06:13 PM

sandy58 wrote:
> My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC
> be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I
> require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions
> regarding software, please? TIA

Hi

AS the other post's say you will require software protection for your
computer with the dongle attached, there are lots of free products you
can use such as:

Antivirus:

Antivir (avira) http://www.freeav.com
AVG Free http://free.avg.com
Avast http://www.avast.com
Clam http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/

Spyware/malware etc:

Spybot search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
Spyware Doctor http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

Microsoft malicious software removal tool(MRT)
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.aspx
should be downloaded by default (automatic update)if you have xp
you can run it by typing mrt.exe in the run box (Start/Run)

there are many many other programs out there, windows has a firewall and
your router acts as a firewall also, but you may wish to install a
better one, as for the antivirus I personally don't use one everyday.
this will no doubt spark another thread, but when I do use one I
prefer Antivir (avira) its quite lightweight, if your not sure which one
to use and want to try out more than one antivirus software remember to
uninstall the other ones, you should only have one antivirus program on
your computer.

JD

sandy58 09-24-2009 06:51 PM

On Sep 24, 7:13*pm, JD <No.Re...@sorry.com> wrote:
> sandy58 wrote:
> > My main computer linked to spare PC by dongle. Will the spare PC
> > be secured by the anti virus etc., software in the main PC or do I
> > *require a separate program and if so could I have suggestions
> > regarding software, please?TIA

> Hi
>
> AS the other post's say you will require software protection for your
> computer with the dongle attached, there are lots of free products you
> can use such as:
>
> Antivirus:
>
> Antivir (avira)http://www.freeav.com
> AVG Free * * * *http://free.avg.com
> Avast * * * * *http://www.avast.com
> Clam * * * * * *http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/
>
> Spyware/malware etc:
>
> Spybot search & Destroy *http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
> Spyware Doctor * * * * *http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
>
> Microsoft malicious software removal tool(MRT)http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.aspx
> should be downloaded by default (automatic update)if you have xp
> you can run it by typing mrt.exe in the run box (Start/Run)
>
> there are many many other programs out there, windows has a firewall and
> your router acts as a firewall also, but you may wish to install a
> better one, as for the antivirus I personally don't use one everyday.
> * this will no doubt spark another thread, but when I do use one I
> prefer Antivir (avira) its quite lightweight, if your not sure which one
> to use and want to try out more than one antivirus software remember to
> uninstall the other ones, you should only have one antivirus program on
> your computer.
>
> JD

Thank you all for prompt & very helpful replies. I do have AVG &
Malware bytes, which I will now install on the 2nd PC & will acquire
Ad-Aware very soon.
ATB, all.