Velocity Reviews

-   -   Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Catastrophic failure (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t69932-error-while-trying-to-run-project-unable-to-start-debugging-on-the-web-server-catastrophic-failure.html)

Edward Yang 01-06-2004 02:25 AM

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Catastrophic failure

I think I once had this problem long before when ASP.NET v1 was released.
But I had this problem again after I installed a fresh/clean new Windows
2000 Pro system. No special actions take during installation. I applied SP4
and patched all hotfixes via Windows Update Web site. Then I installed
VS.NET 2002. But I could not debug my Web applications!

I just wonder if it is SOOOOOOOOOO hard to start a debugger on a Web
application? I have seen already there are dozens of 'tip's on various
errors just trying to START debugging.

Please help me. I'm without any means...

Edward Yang 01-06-2004 02:31 AM

Re: Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Catastrophic failure

Oops! I just found out the anwser myself:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=aspnet

Edward Yang 01-06-2004 02:45 AM

Re: Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Catastrophic failure

Another oops!

That KB just does not help. The problem still catches me. :-(((

Edward Yang 01-06-2004 03:02 AM

Re: Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Catastrophic failure

It is very interesting that if I add ASPNET to local Administartors group,
then I can start debugging. I'm not sure what 'security settings' I need to
assign to ASPNET account.

RobertH 01-06-2004 03:11 AM

Re: Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Catastrophic failure

Make sure your runing a virtual directory.. Open IIS and locate the folder
that your web app is using
then right click that folder select properties and hit application settings
/ create tab

your app should now work