Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: My USB IDE/SATA adapter (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t698462-re-my-usb-ide-sata-adapter.html)

sandy58 09-16-2009 08:49 AM

Re: My USB IDE/SATA adapter

On Sep 15, 7:36*pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...@att.net> wrote:
> Okay.
> I'm so glad to learn of this nifty device.
> I got mine in a day and a half and have been playing with it ever since.
> I've been going through my box of old Hard Drives checking each one. *I
> can't believe I still have a 250MB HD.
>
> Using this device I was able to run virus scans on them that would have
> taken forever doing the old switching inside the PC technique.
>
> One thing I learned was that drives that haven't been partitioned don't show
> up with drive letters under My Computer and may not show up under
> Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management, yet they
> appear under Device Manager. *Interesting.
>
> I'm out of spare hard drives now, so I guess I'll have to wait on another
> project. *Ah well, back to figuring out what's wrong with my test computer.

Eh! WTF are you on about?

JD 09-16-2009 11:10 AM

Re: My USB IDE/SATA adapter

sandy58 wrote:
> On Sep 15, 7:36 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...@att.net> wrote:
>> Okay.
>> I'm so glad to learn of this nifty device.
>> I got mine in a day and a half and have been playing with it ever since.
>> I've been going through my box of old Hard Drives checking each one. I
>> can't believe I still have a 250MB HD.
>>
>> Using this device I was able to run virus scans on them that would have
>> taken forever doing the old switching inside the PC technique.
>>
>> One thing I learned was that drives that haven't been partitioned don't show
>> up with drive letters under My Computer and may not show up under
>> Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management, yet they
>> appear under Device Manager. Interesting.
>>
>> I'm out of spare hard drives now, so I guess I'll have to wait on another
>> project. Ah well, back to figuring out what's wrong with my test computer.

> Eh! WTF are you on about?

Its a ATA(IDE)/SATA to USB adapter for hard drives that was discussed in
another post

JD

Jeff Strickland 09-16-2009 05:06 PM

Re: My USB IDE/SATA adapter

"sandy58" <aleckie68@googlemail.com> wrote in message
On Sep 15, 7:36 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...@att.net> wrote:
> Okay.
> I'm so glad to learn of this nifty device.
> I got mine in a day and a half and have been playing with it ever since.
> I've been going through my box of old Hard Drives checking each one. I
> can't believe I still have a 250MB HD.
>
> Using this device I was able to run virus scans on them that would have
> taken forever doing the old switching inside the PC technique.
>
> One thing I learned was that drives that haven't been partitioned don't
> show
> up with drive letters under My Computer and may not show up under
> Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management, yet they
> appear under Device Manager. Interesting.
>
> I'm out of spare hard drives now, so I guess I'll have to wait on another
> project. Ah well, back to figuring out what's wrong with my test computer.

Eh! WTF are you on about?

We were talking about testing HDDs earlier last week. There is a device
($20-ish price point) that will allow a 2.5" or 3.5" or SATA drive to be
seen as a USB drive. You can take a "failed" drive -- one that will not
boot -- and plug it into this device, then plug the device into a working
machine, and the failed drive will be seen as a non-boot USB. If the problem
is a boot sector error, then you can pull data off and move it to the
working drive.