Velocity Reviews

-   -   Weird Problem Viewing Pictures in Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t698287-weird-problem-viewing-pictures-in-windows.html)

ChrisCoaster 09-15-2009 01:43 AM

Weird Problem Viewing Pictures in Windows

Most blues appear PURPLE in Windows Explorer(not IE) - just Explorer.

These same blues appear BLUE in: Microsoft Picture Manager or Paint or
PowerPoint.

What's wrong?

-ChrisCoaster

ChrisCoaster 09-16-2009 08:46 PM

Re: Weird Problem Viewing Pictures in Windows

On Sep 14, 9:43*pm, ChrisCoaster <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:
> Most blues appear PURPLE in Windows Explorer(not IE) - just Explorer.
>
> These same blues appear BLUE in: Microsoft Picture Manager or Paint or
> PowerPoint.
>
> What's wrong?
>
> -ChrisCoaster

______________
(bump)

Nobody?

ChrisCoaster 09-17-2009 09:48 PM

On Sep 17, 2:36*pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...@att.net> wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote in message

> On Sep 14, 9:43 pm,ChrisCoaster<ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:> Most blues appear PURPLE in Windows Explorer(not IE) - just Explorer.
>
> > These same blues appear BLUE in: Microsoft Picture Manager or Paint or
> > PowerPoint.

> > What's wrong?

> > -ChrisCoaster

> ______________
> (bump)
>
> Nobody?
>
> Display settings? *Color quality selection?

________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium.

Card/Driver are NVIDIA GeForce 7100.
All settings defaults:
Resolution 1440x900. Colors: Highest(32bit)

Calibrated Settings within NVIDIA:
Brightness: 75
Digital Vibrance(Essentially a saturation control): 0.
Contrast: 15
Sharpening: +9
Gamma: 48%

Like I said - the blues in images appear correct through Paint,
Picture Manager, Power Point, etc. Through windows explorer, they
appear purple. Yankee Stadium's seats and outfield fences are dark
BLUE - not purple.

-CC

Jeff Strickland 09-17-2009 10:03 PM

"ChrisCoaster" <ckozicki@snet.net> wrote in message
On Sep 17, 2:36 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...@att.net> wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote in message

> On Sep 14, 9:43 pm,ChrisCoaster<ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:> Most blues
> appear PURPLE in Windows Explorer(not IE) - just Explorer.
>
> > These same blues appear BLUE in: Microsoft Picture Manager or Paint or
> > PowerPoint.

> > What's wrong?

> > -ChrisCoaster

> ______________
> (bump)
>
> Nobody?
>
> Display settings? Color quality selection?

________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium.

Card/Driver are NVIDIA GeForce 7100.
All settings defaults:
Resolution 1440x900. Colors: Highest(32bit)

Calibrated Settings within NVIDIA:
Brightness: 75
Digital Vibrance(Essentially a saturation control): 0.
Contrast: 15
Sharpening: +9
Gamma: 48%

Like I said - the blues in images appear correct through Paint,
Picture Manager, Power Point, etc. Through windows explorer, they
appear purple. Yankee Stadium's seats and outfield fences are dark
BLUE - not purple.

-CC

<js>
There are color settings in the monitor itself -- but I'd not expect them to
be selective on the pictures that get screwed up.

Do OTHER pictures present themselves correctly? Maybe the file of Yankee
Stadium is hosed up somehow. Can you save the file of Yankee Stadium
locally, then open it with a local photo editor? This will tell you if the
file is screwd up.

When I open the Seating Chart for Yankee Stadium, there are a couple of
Yellow rows, a Blue row, and two Purple rows.

http://www.2-tickets.com/venues/YankeeStadium_all.GIF

I did an Image Search on YANKEE STADIUM SEATING CHART, and nearly every
picture has purple seats in at least one section.

</js>

ChrisCoaster 09-17-2009 10:10 PM

On Sep 17, 6:03*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Like I said - the blues in images appear correct through Paint,
> Picture Manager, Power Point, etc. *Through windows explorer, they
> appear purple. *Yankee Stadium's seats and outfield fences are dark
> BLUE - not purple.
>
> -CC
>
> <js>
> There are color settings in the monitor itself -- but I'd not expect them to
> be selective on the pictures that get screwed up.
>
> Do OTHER pictures present themselves correctly? Maybe the file of Yankee
> Stadium is hosed up somehow. Can you save the file of Yankee Stadium
> locally, then open it with a local photo editor? This will tell you if the
> file is screwd up.
>
> When I open the Seating Chart for Yankee Stadium, there are a couple of
> Yellow rows, a Blue row, and two Purple rows.
>
> http://www.2-tickets.com/venues/YankeeStadium_all.GIF
>
> I did an Image Search on YANKEE STADIUM SEATING CHART, and nearly every
> picture has purple seats in at least one section.
>
> </js>- Hide quoted text -

_____________________
I was just using YS as an example of something with a dominance of
blue in it.
The water off of Grand Cayman is purple through windows explorer - an
irresistable aqua blue through all others.

If it was a monitor setting then blue would be off no matter what I
was viewing the images in. In MS INTERNET Explorer web browser, all
blues of all subjects appear as the particular shade of blue they
should.

-CC

Jeff Strickland 09-17-2009 10:27 PM

_____________________
I was just using YS as an example of something with a dominance of
blue in it.
The water off of Grand Cayman is purple through windows explorer - an
irresistable aqua blue through all others.

If it was a monitor setting then blue would be off no matter what I
was viewing the images in. In MS INTERNET Explorer web browser, all
blues of all subjects appear as the particular shade of blue they
should.

-CC

<JS>
I'm confused. Windows Explorer does not display pictures. It invokes an
image viewer or image editor that you have told it to invoke. Internet
Explorer does display JPG files, but is not an image editor, and unless you
changed something, is generally not the program invoked when a JPG files is
selected for viewing from within Windows Explorer.

I agree with your point on the monitor settings, any error there would be a
systemic error not a selective one. Having said that, it is possible that
your photo editor that is invoked from Explorer is using the monitor
defaults, while IE is using the System Settings. It would be worth the
trouble to adjust the monitor settings. But, you have to determine which
photo editor/viewer you are using, and make sure it is set to display the
colors as you want it to.

</JS>

ChrisCoaster 09-17-2009 11:07 PM

On Sep 17, 6:27*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote in message

> On Sep 17, 6:03 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Like I said - the blues in images appear correct through Paint,
> > Picture Manager, Power Point, etc. Through windows explorer, they
> > appear purple. Yankee Stadium's seats and outfield fences are dark
> > BLUE - not purple.

> > -CC

> > <js>
> > There are color settings in the monitor itself -- but I'd not expect them
> > be selective on the pictures that get screwed up.

> > Do OTHER pictures present themselves correctly? Maybe the file of Yankee
> > Stadium is hosed up somehow. Can you save the file of Yankee Stadium
> > locally, then open it with a local photo editor? This will tell you if the
> > file is screwd up.

> > When I open the Seating Chart for Yankee Stadium, there are a couple of
> > Yellow rows, a Blue row, and two Purple rows.

> >http://www.2-tickets.com/venues/YankeeStadium_all.GIF

> > I did an Image Search on YANKEE STADIUM SEATING CHART, and nearly every
> > picture has purple seats in at least one section.

> > </js>- Hide quoted text -

> _____________________
> I was just using YS as an example of something with a dominance of
> blue in it.
> The water off of Grand Cayman is purple through windows explorer - an
> irresistable aqua blue through all others.
>
> If it was a monitor setting then blue would be off no matter what I
> was viewing the images in. *In MS INTERNET Explorer web browser, all
> blues of all subjects appear as the particular shade of blue they
> should.
>
> -CC
>
> <JS>
> I'm confused. Windows Explorer does not display pictures. It invokes an
> image viewer or image editor that you have told it to invoke. Internet
> Explorer does display JPG files, but is not an image editor, and unless you
> changed something, is generally not the program invoked when a JPG files is
> selected for viewing from within Windows Explorer.
>
> I agree with your point on the monitor settings, any error there would be a
> systemic error not a selective one. Having said that, it is possible that
> your photo editor that is invoked from Explorer is using the monitor
> defaults, while IE is using the System Settings. It would be worth the
> trouble to adjust the monitor settings. But, you have to determine which
> photo editor/viewer you are using, and make sure it is set to display the
> colors as you want it to.
>
> </JS>- Hide quoted text -

_____________________
Ok: Let me describe the window that images pop up in:

I double-click on an image file - by default, it opens in something
that has buttons at the bottom. Bottom center button is round and has
looks like a slide. To the sides are arrows to scroll through the
pictures in the folder. To the left are the zoom controls. To the
right(at the bottom) are arrows that allow you to rotate the image
clockwise/counter-clockwise. It is not an editor, but if I right-
click on the image, under "Open With", I can choose to open the image
in Paint, PowerPoint, Word, and Microsoft Office Picture Manager(all
editors). So what does Windows use to view images in by default?
What the heck is it called??

In all of the editors - and on the Internet - the blues(and all other
colors) are rendered equally accurately. It is only in >whatever< is
the default viewer application that the blues are purplish.

If I calibrate the monitor to render images correct in >whatever<,
then they will look wrong in Internet Explorer and all the editors.

-CC

ChrisCoaster 09-17-2009 11:14 PM

On Sep 17, 7:07*pm, ChrisCoaster <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:
> [...]

> looks like a slide. *To the sides are arrows to scroll through the
> pictures in the folder. *To the left are the zoom controls. *To the
> right(at the bottom) are arrows that allow you to rotate the image
> clockwise/counter-clockwise. * It is not an editor, but if I right-
> click on the image, under "Open With", I can choose to open the image
> in Paint, PowerPoint, Word, and Microsoft Office Picture Manager(all
> editors). * So what does Windows use to view images in by default?
> What the heck is it called??
>
> In all of the editors - and on the Internet - the blues(and all other
> colors) are rendered equally accurately. *It is only in >whatever< is
> the default viewer application that the blues are purplish.
>
> If I calibrate the monitor to render images correct in >whatever<,
> then they will look wrong in Internet Explorer and all the editors.

_______________________
AHHHH - FRIG!!! It's called "WINDOWS PHOTO GALLERY". Duhhr!!!

So something is wrong with Photo Gallery.

-CC

Jeff Strickland 09-17-2009 11:34 PM

_____________________
[...]

When the picture opens, what is displayed on the Title Bar?

This should be a clue as to the program that is presenting the images to
you. My PC presents images to me with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I
can change this by right-clicking on a image file (JPG, for example) and
selecting Open With, then selecting Choose Program. Select Internet
Explorer, or any of the others, and then select the checkbox, Always use
this program to open this type of file.

</JS>

ChrisCoaster 09-17-2009 11:39 PM

On Sep 17, 7:34*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

> What the heck is it called??
>
> In all of the editors - and on the Internet - the blues(and all other
> colors) are rendered equally accurately. *It is only in >whatever< is
> the default viewer application that the blues are purplish.
>
> If I calibrate the monitor to render images correct in >whatever<,
> then they will look wrong in Internet Explorer and all the editors.
>
> -CC
>
> <JS>
> When the picture opens, what is displayed on the Title Bar?
>
> This should be a clue as to the program that is presenting the images to
> you. My PC presents images to me with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I
> can change this by right-clicking on a image file (JPG, for example) and
> selecting Open With, then selecting Choose Program. Select Internet
> Explorer, or any of the others, and then select the checkbox, Always use

filename - Windows Photo Gallery

Yeah, yeah, I know what you are talking about. I just never bothered
to change the default when I purchased the computer last year.

I'll try it, but it's too bad Photo gallery can't be "fixed". It has
a lot of good viewing options - slide show, scrolling through images,
etc.

-CC