Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Windows refund (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t697750-re-windows-refund.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-10-2009 10:37 AM

Re: Windows refund

Regarding the discussion a while back about whether you should be able to
refuse the copy of Microsoft Windows that comes bundled with a PC, I just
had something pointed out to me: the manufacturer's warranty will cover
every bit of hardware you get in the box with that PC, but it won't cover
Microsoft Windows.

So those trying to claim that the bundled copy of Windows is no different
from any other bundled product component are wrong: it IS fundamentally
different.

peterwn 09-10-2009 08:45 PM

Re: Windows refund

On Sep 10, 10:37*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Regarding the discussion a while back about whether you should be able to
> refuse the copy of Microsoft Windows that comes bundled with a PC, I just
> had something pointed out to me: the manufacturer's warranty will cover
> every bit of hardware you get in the box with that PC, but it won't cover
> Microsoft Windows.
>
> So those trying to claim that the bundled copy of Windows is no different
> from any other bundled product component are wrong: it IS fundamentally
> different.

The retailer is obliged to cover everything supplied if the computer
is sold for 'consumer' (ie not business) puropses. This theoretically
could cover user data transfer etc but the monetary value of
'consumer' type data may not be too high. Retailer could argue that
it needs only return the computer (repaired or replaced) in the state
that it was first sold and might prevail with that argument.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-10-2009 09:15 PM

Re: Windows refund

In message <0ca0361f-d9e8-4bd7-8317-
e10f63fbfb8d@y28g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, peterwn wrote:

> On Sep 10, 10:37 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>
>> ... the manufacturer's warranty will cover
>> every bit of hardware you get in the box with that PC, but it won't cover
>> Microsoft Windows.

> The retailer is obliged to cover everything supplied if the computer
> is sold for 'consumer' (ie not business) puropses. This theoretically
> could cover user data transfer etc but the monetary value of
> 'consumer' type data may not be too high. Retailer could argue that
> it needs only return the computer (repaired or replaced) in the state
> that it was first sold and might prevail with that argument.

But if the software was the problem, and they still supply the exact same
software, then they haven't fixed the problem, have they?

peterwn 09-11-2009 01:11 AM

Re: Windows refund

On Sep 11, 9:15*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <0ca0361f-d9e8-4bd7-8317-
>
> e10f63fbf...@y28g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, peterwn wrote:
> > On Sep 10, 10:37 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> >> ... the manufacturer's warranty will cover
> >> every bit of hardware you get in the box with that PC, but it won't cover
> >> Microsoft Windows.

> > The retailer is obliged to cover everything supplied if the computer
> > is sold for 'consumer' (ie not business) puropses. *This theoretically
> > could cover user data transfer etc but the monetary value of
> > 'consumer' type data may not be too high. *Retailer could argue that
> > it needs only return the computer (repaired or replaced) in the state
> > that it was first sold and might prevail with that argument.

> But if the software was the problem, and they still supply the exact same
> software, then they haven't fixed the problem, have they?

Agreed and there ought to be a refund. This would be an easy matter
if there were a BSOD each five minutes, but the more subtle the bug,
the more subtle the matter would become.

peterwn 09-11-2009 03:13 AM

Re: Windows refund

On Sep 11, 1:11*pm, peterwn <pete...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Agreed and there ought to be a refund. *This would be an easy matter
> if there were a BSOD each five minutes, but the more subtle the bug,
> the more subtle the matter would become.

I had better hedge this a bit more. If you buy the computer, Windows,
Office and anti-Virus as a job lot from the retailer, you have a
reasonable consumer expectation that the whole lot will work in
harmony, and if it does not you would expect remedial action. I would
have to concede that as soon as you add software from elsewhere, you
are going to have a tough job proving that Windows was faulty rather
than the additional software.