Velocity Reviews

-   -   uses for setup.cfg and extracting data from it (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t697615-uses-for-setup-cfg-and-extracting-data-from-it.html)

Chris Withers 09-09-2009 09:29 AM

uses for setup.cfg and extracting data from it

Hi All,

Do people generally source control their package's setup.cfg?

http://docs.python.org/distutils/configfile.html sort of implies it
should be editable by the person installing the package, but I've never
personally used a package where that's the case...

Assuming the distutils docs are out of date and this file is really
"owned" by the package maintainer, how do I extract information from it
in setup.py (and elsewhere for that matter!)

I'm looking for somewhere consistent to store the following for all my
packages:

- mailing lists url

- issue tracker url

- change log url

- documentation url

....such that I can generate a sensible long_description for use on PyPI
but also such that I can include the information in the Sphinx docs...

cheers,

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk