Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win XP x64 and x86 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t697545-win-xp-x64-and-x86.html)

Craig 09-08-2009 04:31 PM

Win XP x64 and x86

I have installed x64 on a new build machine. Since some of the drivers and
software are not available or won't run on this machine I now regret doing
so. Is it possible to "roll back" x64 to x86 or will I have to reformat and
start over? Thank you.

Charlie Russel - MVP 09-08-2009 04:38 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

Reformat and start over, I'm afraid.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Craig 09-08-2009 04:50 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

That's not the answer I had hoped for but I am not surprised. Thanks.

Zootal 09-08-2009 05:58 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

Which drivers or software are not available or won't run?

Craig 09-08-2009 06:52 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

Believe it or not, I am having to use an "older" version of some HP printer
functionality software because some of the newer HP stuff won't run on XP
x64. Also, I've discovered that iTunes won't run on that OS either. Since
this machine is used primarily by my wife, that is a crisis, if you know what
I mean. It was also a fiasco getting a driver for the EVGA GTS250 graphics
card. I finally did get that though.

Zootal 09-08-2009 07:36 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

Ah, I feel your pain. The only HP driver for my printer is a beta driver
which likes to blue screen windows from time to time. HP recommended using a
driver for an older printer that exists for XP64, and that is what I ended
up doing. Works surprisingly well.

Can't comment on iTunes, but yeah, I can see how that would be a deal
breaker :)

I have to use the CheckPoint VPN client, and there is no client for XP64. So
I run Win2000 in a virtual machine, and run the 32 bit client there. This
actually works out very well. I work in the client about twenty hours a
week. I keep a backup of the VM, and don't have to dinker with my XP64
installation to get the VPN client to work. I can also use the VM from any
OS (I have five on this box - Windows 7 (eewww), XP64, XP32, Win98 (just
DOS), and Linux) except Win98.

YMMV - I would not run XP64 on my wife's machine. She can handle email and
internet, but that is about it. The pain of teaching her to use a VM to get
iTunes to work (assuming it would even work in a VM) is more then I can bear
:-)

Craig 09-08-2009 07:52 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

There is NO WAY I would even consider an VM on my wife's machine. It would
blow her clean off the map. You're right, email, pictures, music, and
occasional Internet. I can't even get to check email more than about once a
week.

It sounds like you need a few operating systems on your machine. Goodness,
I would hate to think about keeping up with all that. So, how do you like 7?
I have it but haven't installed it yet. I'm wondering how many driver and
software issues I would have?

Zootal 09-08-2009 08:25 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

Having a few OS's on my machine is not too much trouble :). I keep XP32 for
when I need to restore XP64. I backup my windows, documents and settings,
program files directories. When I do something stupid that breaks XP64, I
boot to XP32 and restore the files ( I NEVER reformat just because I need to
reinstall the OS). Win98 I never actually use, it's just sitting there. I
had Vista for a while, but Vista to me was nothing more then another Windows
ME. Same old pig with a fancier wrapper. I quickly went back to XP. I'm
starting to look at Windows 7 the same way. Same old pig, fancier wrapper. I
have it, but I don't use it and haven't decided if I'm going to. I keep
linux around for when I need to do something there but I have a couple of
other boxes with Linux for my Linux work - Linux on this machine mostly sits
unused.

Craig 09-08-2009 11:17 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

Thanks for Win7 tip. I'll watch the posts a little longer before I install it.

Charlie Russel - MVP 09-09-2009 02:17 PM

Re: Win XP x64 and x86

On the other hand, most of the regulars here seem to like Win7 a lot. I know
I do. I'm running it on all my machines already that will support it. Only
machine left at an earlier release is an old Tablet PC that really isn't up
to Win7.