Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Linux for old laptop? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t697143-re-linux-for-old-laptop.html)

Diabolic Preacher 09-04-2009 08:07 PM

Re: Linux for old laptop?

SJP expressed the following thoughts on 9/5/2009 12:37 AM:
> Can anyone recommend a version of Linux that will work with an old Laptop
> currently running Windows 98 (Not 98SE) with 32Mb RAM and 2 Gb Harddrive. It
> has 1 usb port a floppy drive and a cdrom.

I'd tried that and the only headache/nightmare is a ISA modem card.
Spend on a PCI replacement rather than endless hours getting ISA cards
to work. Other than that, I've run puppy on an old machine running
win98. Works fine...and fast.

HTH
--
Diabolic Preacher
As Is

philo 09-04-2009 08:23 PM

Re: Linux for old laptop?

Diabolic Preacher wrote:
> SJP expressed the following thoughts on 9/5/2009 12:37 AM:
>> Can anyone recommend a version of Linux that will work with an old Laptop
>> currently running Windows 98 (Not 98SE) with 32Mb RAM and 2 Gb
>> Harddrive. It
>> has 1 usb port a floppy drive and a cdrom.
>>

> I'd tried that and the only headache/nightmare is a ISA modem card.
> Spend on a PCI replacement rather than endless hours getting ISA cards
> to work. Other than that, I've run puppy on an old machine running
> win98. Works fine...and fast.
>
> HTH
> --
> Diabolic Preacher
> As Is

LOL

/sarcasm/
not too many laptops have ISA slots <G>

However for old desktops the PCI modems are usually "win modems"
so the ISA type is actually much more likely to work

but if a dialup connection is used...an external serial modem is pretty
fool proof

chuckcar 09-05-2009 03:40 AM

Re: Linux for old laptop?

Diabolic Preacher <dpreacher@helldrive.inc> wrote in

> SJP expressed the following thoughts on 9/5/2009 12:37 AM:
>> Can anyone recommend a version of Linux that will work with an old
>> Laptop currently running Windows 98 (Not 98SE) with 32Mb RAM and 2 Gb
>> Harddrive. It has 1 usb port a floppy drive and a cdrom.
>>

> I'd tried that and the only headache/nightmare is a ISA modem card.
> Spend on a PCI replacement rather than endless hours getting ISA cards
> to work. Other than that, I've run puppy on an old machine running
> win98. Works fine...and fast.

No difference to the installer. All you need is the proper drivers and
know what any jumpers/connectors do.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )