Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Ascentive PC SpeedScan & Personal Anti-virus scan (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t696899-re-ascentive-pc-speedscan-and-personal-anti-virus-scan.html)

JD 09-02-2009 05:53 PM

James D. Andrews wrote:
> [...]
> specifically, it takes about 10 minutes to load.
>
> I did all the obvious stuff - clean out the junk, defrag, etc.
> I ran the gamut of msconfig. Actually, this helped correct a minor problem,
> but did nothing for the main boot speed problem. I ran bootvis and it
> showed what I already knew: the CPU froze for about 6-7 minutes. Finally, I
> went to do a System Restore - lo and behold, System Restore was locked out
> and not only could I not restore to an earlier point, I couldn't even look
> at earlier points. Other oddities in the system were noted. Hmmm.
>
> Then, my Mother in Law (her laptop) suddenly remembers the problems began
> when she installed and ran Ascentive PCSpeedScan and with the subsequent
> removal that took quite a few tricks (Add/Remove doesn't do it all with this
> puppy).
>
> Now, she's really to blame for this fiasco. She had no Antivirus or Spyware
> program loaded on her system, and she was attempting to use a program that
> automatically adjusts settings and makes significant changes to the system -
> something she knew nothing about. Why she didn't consult me about this I
> haven't the slightest idea. I get hold of it after the damage is done.
>
> I installed aVast and scan, it comes up with a long list of problems
> including half a dozen trojans, worms, etc.
>
> When she finally remembered the Ascentive problem (after me spending 3 days
> on this laptop), I typed Ascentive into my search engine, and POP! Page
> after page after page after page listing complaints about this program doing
> exactly this problem and many others. I couldn't believe the number of
> entries. The least of which complained about the adware it planted, almost
> all citing the difficulty in removing it. Everyone smart enough to scan it
> before installation showed a Trojan, other viruses, and spyware.
>
> Thought I'd pass that one along.
>
> Now the pest, this one on my wife's tower. Somewhere she came across a
> program listed as Personal Anti-virus (a rather ambiguous name). Yet
> another of these quick scan to fix everything and speed up your computer
> type programs. This one (out of http:\\live-virus-scanner9.com) comes out
> of nowhere, hijacks the page, shows a bogus scan taking place - essentially
> watching a film of your system being scanned and revealing numerous
> problems - and an endless series of pop up Windows boxes saying "if you
> don't press this you'll leave your system unprotected. To scan press OK,
> and of course, it is the only button. Attempts to close the box using the X
> Close causes a forced download to begin. Fortunately, there is a Cancel
> button on the download box, but the download gets past Windows and starts
> automatically. If you don't catch it in time, it will completely download.
>
> I plan to add a new layer of Spyware protection to her computer to help
> fight pests like this, but I wonder if others have come across this bad boy

Hi there
there are a few of these type of programs around fakeware/malware they
go by various names (personal antivirus 2009,2010 etc) and they are a
real bugger to remove.

I'd personally just reinstall the whole machine its far quicker than
trying to remove them and your guaranteed it will be gone, educating the
computer user on safe browsing habits is definitely recommended.

However if you do want to try and remove the program, you can get a
removal tool from this site: http://www.malwarebytes.org its a well
known and trusted site.

hope that helps
JD

sandy58 09-04-2009 08:36 AM

On Sep 4, 3:25*am, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...@att.net> wrote:
> "JD" <No.Re...@sorry.com> wrote in message
>
> news:4a9eb10e$0$2533$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...> James D. Andrews wrote:
> >> Anyone else come across this nightmare and that pest?

> Ascentive PCSpeedScan
>

> >> I installed aVast and scan, it comes up with a long list of problems
> >> including half a dozen trojans, worms, etc.

> > Hi there
> > there are a few of these type of programs around fakeware/malware they go
> > by various names (personal antivirus 2009,2010 etc) and they are a real
> > bugger to remove.

> > I'd personally just reinstall the whole machine its far quicker than
> > trying to remove them and your guaranteed it will be gone, educating the
> > computer user on safe browsing habits is definitely recommended.

> > However if you do want to try and remove the program, you can get a
> > removal tool from this site:http://www.malwarebytes.orgits a well known
> > and trusted site.

> > hope that helps
> > JD

> I'm on everybody's wavelength. *Like sandy's tip, I'm along for the ride on
> yours as well. *Just downloaded malwarebytes along with several others to do
> some comparison shopping. *One of the things I'm coming across is a lot of
> these programs allow only one security software on at a time (preferably
> theirs). *Understandable to an extent, some antivirus programs see the
> definitions of another program as viruses. *But I like having more than one
> layer of security.
>
> I'm pretty much happy with aVast Antivirus running, using Revo Uninstaller
> for uninstallations. *I used to use Spybot for spyware, but the new and
> improved Spybot improved itself right into not working. *It's too big and
> uses too much memory/CPU/etc. *It was never the fastest program on the
> block, now it just freezes up, so it's worthless to me.
>
> I downloaded a handful of programs to try out including malwarebytes and
> Ad-Aware. *So far the Ad-Aware program is doing pretty good. *Haven't tried
> out the malwarebytes yet, but intend to do that this weekend along with NVT
> Malware Removal Tool and InstallSpy. *I tried Runscanner, and it popped up
> with quite a bit, but gave no instructions whatsoever. *I have a hard enough
> time getting my people to follow instructions on the software I install, I'm
> not leaving it to them to try and figure out what to do.

I put on Malware Scanner a couple of days ago and all IT seems to do
is find the same old crap every time it is switched on. I think it
makes the crap up itself. I have had SuperAntiSpyware for some time
now which "works" when asked to. :-(