Velocity Reviews

-   -   NZ Domain Name Transfer - Registrars (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t696407-nz-domain-name-transfer-registrars.html)

Domain Advise - Downsize Price 08-29-2009 01:55 AM

NZ Domain Name Transfer - Registrars

I will soon have a couple of "co.nz" domain names due for
renewal.

They are currently at Domainz. But, I want to transfer them to
FreeParking. This is for the lower cost.

Has anyone had problems with this type of transfer? Including
the old registrar being reluctant to let go of the account/money?

How long does a transfer take? Meaning, if I were to try to pay
the new registrar... How close can I cut it? Can it reliably
work to pay/transfer at my chosen registrar, a few days before
the expiry date of the domain?

Thanks for your advise and experience with this issue...

Alan 08-29-2009 03:46 AM

Re: NZ Domain Name Transfer - Registrars

"Domain Advise - Downsize Price" <Just-Tell-Me@This-Group-For.Now>
wrote in message
>I will soon have a couple of "co.nz" domain names due for
> renewal.
>
> They are currently at Domainz. But, I want to transfer them to
> FreeParking. This is for the lower cost.
>
> Has anyone had problems with this type of transfer? Including
> the old registrar being reluctant to let go of the account/money?
>
> How long does a transfer take? Meaning, if I were to try to pay
> the new registrar... How close can I cut it? Can it reliably
> work to pay/transfer at my chosen registrar, a few days before
> the expiry date of the domain?
>
> Thanks for your advise and experience with this issue...

I've never had an issue with transferring domains.

Authorised registrars are required to comply with all published .nz
policies and procedures:

http://dnc.org.nz/story/authorised-registrars

The Policies and Procedures are here:

http://www.dnc.org.nz/story/30037-35-1.html

Specifically, these are the ones relating to transfers:

http://dnc.org.nz/content/changeofregistrant.html

So your rights are fairly well covered, but if you have a problem,
then you should certainly complain.

HTH,

Alan.

My unmunged email is: 1bupdvc02@sneakemail.com (valid for 30 days
min probably much longer).

Enkidu 08-29-2009 03:59 AM

Domain Advise - Downsize Price wrote:
> I will soon have a couple of "co.nz" domain names due for renewal.
>
> They are currently at Domainz. But, I want to transfer them to
> FreeParking. This is for the lower cost.
>
> Has anyone had problems with this type of transfer? Including the
> old registrar being reluctant to let go of the account/money?
>
> How long does a transfer take? Meaning, if I were to try to pay the
> new registrar... How close can I cut it? Can it reliably work to
> pay/transfer at my chosen registrar, a few days before the expiry
> date of the domain?
>
> Thanks for your advise and experience with this issue...

Why not transfer it now? Usually the receiving registrar will honour any
period left on the registration.

Cheers,

Cliff

Alan 08-29-2009 04:31 AM

"Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
> Domain Advise - Downsize Price wrote:
>> I will soon have a couple of "co.nz" domain names due for renewal.
>>
>> They are currently at Domainz. But, I want to transfer them to
>> FreeParking. This is for the lower cost.
>>
>> Has anyone had problems with this type of transfer? Including the
>> old registrar being reluctant to let go of the account/money?
>>
>> How long does a transfer take? Meaning, if I were to try to pay
>> the
>> new registrar... How close can I cut it? Can it reliably work to
>> pay/transfer at my chosen registrar, a few days before the expiry
>> date of the domain?
>>
>> Thanks for your advise and experience with this issue...
>>

> Why not transfer it now? Usually the receiving registrar will honour
> any
> period left on the registration.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Indeed - that has been my experience too, so nothing lost.

EMB 08-29-2009 05:45 AM

Re: NZ Domain Name Transfer - Registrars

Domain Advise - Downsize Price wrote:
> I will soon have a couple of "co.nz" domain names due for
> renewal.
>
> They are currently at Domainz. But, I want to transfer them to
> FreeParking. This is for the lower cost.
>
> Has anyone had problems with this type of transfer? Including
> the old registrar being reluctant to let go of the account/money?

Done it often, including from the thieves at Domainz, and there have
never been any problems.

> How long does a transfer take? Meaning, if I were to try to pay
> the new registrar... How close can I cut it? Can it reliably
> work to pay/transfer at my chosen registrar, a few days before
> the expiry date of the domain?

They will transfer across at any time with the registration period
intact. Transfer is to all intents and purposes instantaneous if you do
it online. So long as you have the UDAI (and if you haven't then just
get it off Domainz) you just create an account with the gaining
registrar and then use their transfer option to move it to them (for
which the UDAI will be necessary). I would tend to use 1stdomains
rather than Freeparking.

pystol 09-09-2009 06:14 AM

Re: NZ Domain Name Transfer - Registrars

http://www.domains4less.co.nz/