Velocity Reviews

-   -   Email alignment (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t696345-email-alignment.html)

Golden 08-28-2009 02:18 PM

Email alignment

This is a Quote from my club

"Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
original format that it was prepared.
Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style changes,
and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few have
encountered difficulties with the alignment results."

She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have a
problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?

I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and one
word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem. I'm
using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

I apologize for the lack of information because this group taught me to give
all the information I can.
Thank You

VanguardLH 08-28-2009 02:46 PM

Re: Email alignment

Golden wrote:

> This is a Quote from my club
>
> "Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
> They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
> original format that it was prepared.
> Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style changes,
> and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
> Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few have
> encountered difficulties with the alignment results."
>
> She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have a
> problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?
>
> I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and one
> word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
> Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem. I'm
> using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

HTML-formatted e-mail messages are NOT HTML web pages. Outlook is an
e-mail client that supports reading of basic HTML-formatted e-mails, not
a web browser to render complete web pages. If they want to send Word
documents then they should attach them. Word is a crappy HTML editor.
For one thing, it inserts directives that non-Word viewers won't
understand as they are Microsoft proprietary formatting directives that
only Word understands.

Just because an HTML-formatted e-mail looks good when you compose it
doesn't mean that is how it will look to the recipient. That is why you
use simple HTML tags in HTML-formatted e-mails. If you need to send
more complex documents then attach them and force the recipient to use a
viewer that is more capable of rendering it.

The problem is with the sender composing their message inside of Word
and then expecting non-Word recipients to be able to read it.

Jordon 08-28-2009 03:24 PM

Re: Email alignment

Golden wrote:
> This is a Quote from my club
>
> "Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
> They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
> original format that it was prepared.
> Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style
> changes, and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
> Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few
> have encountered difficulties with the alignment results."
>
> She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have
> a problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?

Using Works? To compose an email or to create an attachment
that was sent with an email? Did she use Works to create an
email and then copy and paste it into the email message body
or did she create a document and attach the document to the
email?

> I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and
> one word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
> Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem.
> I'm using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

How did you get it into Word? If you're really talking about
an attachment, it has nothing to do with the email and has
everything to do with what created the attachment.

--
Jordon

Evan Platt 08-28-2009 04:37 PM

Re: Email alignment

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:18:33 -0700, "Golden" <123@123.com> wrote:

>This is a Quote from my club
>
>"Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
>They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
>original format that it was prepared.
>Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style changes,
>and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
>Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few have
>encountered difficulties with the alignment results."
>
>She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have a
>problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?

How is this 'flyer' being sent to you? HTML? PDF? Works? Something
else?

>I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and one
>word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
>Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem. I'm
>using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

How was this reservation sent to you? HTML? PDF? Works? Something
else?

>I apologize for the lack of information because this group taught me to give
>all the information I can.

Oh boy...

Whiskers 08-28-2009 05:26 PM

Re: Email alignment

On 2009-08-28, Golden <123@123.com> wrote:
> This is a Quote from my club
>
> "Are you receiving these notices in alignment on your system?
> They are presented as a flyer, and should be in alignment, and in the
> original format that it was prepared.
> Example - is the flyer centered, highlighted, showing font style changes,
> and including our Tiger icon as a greeting.
> Most of them are sent out to all of you in that manner. However, a few have
> encountered difficulties with the alignment results."
>
> She said she is using Microsoft Works. Could it be these few people have a
> problem with their email or could it be a hotmail problem?

The problem is the way the messages are being sent. Plain text is the
only form that can be relied on to be legible to both sender and recipient
of an email. People won't all necessarily see it looking the same at all,
as far as line-breaks, font, and colour, are concerned - because they will
(or could if they bothered) configure those aspects to suit their personal
preferences.

If she wants to send a 'flyer' (whatever that is - some sort of small
advertising poster?) it should be as an attachment that can be viewed in a
non-proprietary form such as HTML (view in a web browser), Portable
Document Format (PDF - several free viewers) or JPEG (view in an image
viewer). Word Processor files are entirely the wrong thing to share with
anyone - even different versions of the same program can't always cope.

> I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and one
> word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
> Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem. I'm
> using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

Whatever method was used for composing the message, your version of
MS Word seems to have been a bit better at 'rendering' it than your email
program.

> I apologize for the lack of information because this group taught me to give
> all the information I can.
> Thank You

The 'raw' email (possibly called the 'original' or 'source') probably
contains clues, such as a 'Content-type' header and possibly 'Part' or
'boundary' indicators in the 'body' of the message. For instance, I just
got one today from my phone company with these headers (among many others)

and lower down in the 'body' there are two 'boundary markers':

------=_Part_77637_2284923.1251478595655

and even lower:

------=_Part_77637_2284923.1251478595655

These tell me (and my email program) what the message is 'encoded' as.
The 'text/plain' section contains all the information required; the
'text/html' part repeats all the same information but with lots of
pointless 'formatting' and 'colours' and so on (and links to the
company's own web server to fetch images so that they can see who has read
the email, when they read it, and where from, and using what software, and
how often - at least those people who haven't set up their email software
to block that sort of thing!)

The 'text/plain' part is 3.94KB in size. The 'text/html' part adds a
further 72.64KB, to no good purpose as far as I'm concerned. It also
manages to include 402 coding errors!

That is one of the better HTML-included emails I have to cope with.
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Golden 08-28-2009 10:34 PM

Re: Email alignment

>> I received 5 pages confirming a hotel reservation with double lines and
>> one word in some lines and it was all screwed up. I had to open it up in
>> Microsoft word and it look better. What could be causing this problem.
>> I'm using Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail

> How did you get it into Word? If you're really talking about
> an attachment, it has nothing to do with the email and has
> everything to do with what created the attachment.
>
> --
> Jordon

It wasn't an attachment. I save the email into a folder and open word then
open the email which open up into a word document