Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Electric car conversion (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t694973-re-electric-car-conversion.html)

Whiskers 08-16-2009 11:51 AM

Re: Electric car conversion

On 2009-08-16, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
> richard wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 04:42:25 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Friend of mine built this
>>>
>>> http://www.tdlelectronics.com/EV.shtml

>> Looks like they did a nice job. But failed to mention anything about
>> speed.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind doing something similar but I ain't gonna go to the
>> expense just to get a 10mph toy. I'd want mine to have at least a
>> speed of 55mph or better.
>>

> His car can easily go over 70 mph

Would also be interesting to know how long it takes to recharge the
vehicle's batteries - and how many hours of direct sunlight are required
to collect the energy for a one-hour journey, and how large the solar
collector is (and how much it cost).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Whiskers 08-16-2009 01:21 PM

Re: Electric car conversion

On 2009-08-16, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:

[...]

> But I can tell you that the solar panel was $100,000 USD
>

> http://www.tdlelectronics.com/Barn/Barn%20Solar.html
>

> So this is not a project for the "average home user"

Indeed not!

> This being Wisconsin, it will be *many* years before payback is
> achieved...

Decades if not life-times, I suspect.

> but a smaller version of the project...in Arizona might be
> feasible for many people
>

> Main page here http://www.tdlelectronics.com/

Might be just about useful for an electric bike for short journeys in the
tropics. Not going to work in London though! There are good reasons why
plug-in electric vehicles are scarce; you can't have cheap, fast,
comfortable, and long range, all at once.

Apart from milk-floats (which were common decades ago but now almost
extinct) the only electric vehicle that has really made any impression is
the "G-Wizz" <http://www.goingreen.co.uk/store> which is very limited in
its appeal, and costs more than a conventional (larger and more
comfortable) petrol or diesel small car. Its chief attraction is probably
exemption from the 'Congestion Charge' of £8 a day in central London -
which you also get with any two-wheeler. As a car, its pretty horrid - and
it doesn't actually qualify as a car at all, being classified as a 'heavy
quadricycle'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

philo 08-16-2009 01:46 PM

Re: Electric car conversion

>> So this is not a project for the "average home user"

> Indeed not!
>
>> This being Wisconsin, it will be *many* years before payback is
>> achieved...

> Decades if not life-times, I suspect.

Because he produces more power than he uses...Wisconsin Energies issue
him a check each month...but I am sure it will be 15 more years before
he has made his money back!!!!

>> but a smaller version of the project...in Arizona might be
>> feasible for many people
>>

>> Main page here http://www.tdlelectronics.com/

> Might be just about useful for an electric bike for short journeys in the
> tropics. Not going to work in London though! There are good reasons why
> plug-in electric vehicles are scarce; you can't have cheap, fast,
> comfortable, and long range, all at once.
>
> Apart from milk-floats (which were common decades ago but now almost
> extinct) the only electric vehicle that has really made any impression is
> the "G-Wizz" <http://www.goingreen.co.uk/store> which is very limited in
> its appeal, and costs more than a conventional (larger and more
> comfortable) petrol or diesel small car. Its chief attraction is probably
> exemption from the 'Congestion Charge' of 8 a day in central London -
> which you also get with any two-wheeler. As a car, its pretty horrid - and
> it doesn't actually qualify as a car at all, being classified as a 'heavy
> quadricycle'.

I don't know what the future will bring...
but one thing is for sure:

I am glad that I have no problem walking to most of my destinations!

Whiskers 08-16-2009 03:40 PM

Re: Electric car conversion

On 2009-08-16, philo <philo@privacy.invalid> wrote:

[...]

> I don't know what the future will bring...
> but one thing is for sure:
>
> I am glad that I have no problem walking to most of my destinations!

/That/ is green :))

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

philo 08-16-2009 05:43 PM

Re: Electric car conversion

Whiskers wrote:
> On 2009-08-16, philo <philo@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I don't know what the future will bring...
>> but one thing is for sure:
>>
>> I am glad that I have no problem walking to most of my destinations!

> /That/ is green :))

I am lucky that I live in a city where most of what I need is close by.

Shopping, coffee shops, restaurants, movie theaters etc

Best thing for me and the GF is a farmer's market near here.

Plus...the exercise we get from walking keeps us both in good shape

....or in as good a shape as possible for someone of my advanced age <G>

joevan 08-16-2009 09:28 PM

Re: Electric car conversion

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:46:05 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.invalid>
wrote:

>>> So this is not a project for the "average home user"

>> Indeed not!
>>
>>> This being Wisconsin, it will be *many* years before payback is
>>> achieved...

>> Decades if not life-times, I suspect.

>Because he produces more power than he uses...Wisconsin Energies issue
>him a check each month...but I am sure it will be 15 more years before
>he has made his money back!!!!
>

>>> but a smaller version of the project...in Arizona might be
>>> feasible for many people
>>>

>>> Main page here http://www.tdlelectronics.com/

>> Might be just about useful for an electric bike for short journeys in the
>> tropics. Not going to work in London though! There are good reasons why
>> plug-in electric vehicles are scarce; you can't have cheap, fast,
>> comfortable, and long range, all at once.
>>
>> Apart from milk-floats (which were common decades ago but now almost
>> extinct) the only electric vehicle that has really made any impression is
>> the "G-Wizz" <http://www.goingreen.co.uk/store> which is very limited in
>> its appeal, and costs more than a conventional (larger and more
>> comfortable) petrol or diesel small car. Its chief attraction is probably
>> exemption from the 'Congestion Charge' of 8 a day in central London -
>> which you also get with any two-wheeler. As a car, its pretty horrid - and
>> it doesn't actually qualify as a car at all, being classified as a 'heavy
>> quadricycle'.
>>

>I don't know what the future will bring... Ol
>but one thing is for sure:
>
>I am glad that I have no problem walking to most of my destinations!

Same here, as I happen to live in a wonderful place. Been here 36
years and it was pretty good back in 73 but each year it has gotten
better and better. I about 10 minutes I will walk out myback door (
garage) door and about 150 paces to my favorite resturant ever. I walk
to the gym, I walk to the food places I like and once in while I take
the bus for free to further than I want to take the time to walk in
hot weather.
Today my 18 year old took me to a big store for a few small parts in
her car, which she bought with her own money. Paid for the insurance
and all herself. Got a sticker so she can park anywhere for free.
Legal spots that is. Just 30 bucks a year the first one and then 20
bucks a year. Old age has some advantages, and I consider myself
lucky except for my lack of a wife for 5 years due to cancer.