Velocity Reviews

-   -   Laptop choice: VAIO SR420 vs. Asus UX30 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t694959-laptop-choice-vaio-sr420-vs-asus-ux30.html)

mister Ecs 08-16-2009 08:49 AM

Laptop choice: VAIO SR420 vs. Asus UX30

Hi all,
I need a quick advice on which laptop to buy.

I currently live in China and here these two laptops are sold at a
very similar price:
"Sony VAIO SR420" and "Asus UX30".

The configurations:
============
Sony VAIO SR420
============
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
HDD: 320 GB (5,400 rpm)
GRAPHICS: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4570 (512 MB)
SCREEN: 13.3" LED
Link:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?cat...

============
Asus UX30
============
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo SU9400 1.4 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
HDD: 320 GB (5,400 rpm)
GRAPHICS: GMA X4500MHD (don't know how many MB)
SCREEN: 13.3" LED
[no microphone]
[no DVD drive]
Link: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=CniWi2O0iG9ppDTy

I am a web developer (the applications I normally run: adobe
illustrator, adobe photoshop, macromedia fireworks, openoffice, WAMP
[Apache+MySQL+PHP], various IM (Skype+GTalk+MSN), and then 3 or 4
different browsers at the same time [Mozilla+Safari+Opera+Chrome
+IE]).

Which laptop would you recommend, based on my use needs?
My biggest concern about the Asus is the CPU: only 1.4 GHz (vs. 2.1
GHz fo the VAIO), although it's a pretty new CPU. What do you think?

Thanks all,
Marc

Paul 08-16-2009 09:37 AM

Re: Laptop choice: VAIO SR420 vs. Asus UX30

mister Ecs wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need a quick advice on which laptop to buy.
>
> I currently live in China and here these two laptops are sold at a
> very similar price:
> "Sony VAIO SR420" and "Asus UX30".
>
> The configurations:
> ============
> Sony VAIO SR420
> ============
> CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz
> RAM: 4 GB
> HDD: 320 GB (5,400 rpm)
> GRAPHICS: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4570 (512 MB)
> SCREEN: 13.3" LED
> Link:
> http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?cat...
>
> ============
> Asus UX30
> ============
> CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo SU9400 1.4 GHz
> RAM: 4 GB
> HDD: 320 GB (5,400 rpm)
> GRAPHICS: GMA X4500MHD (don't know how many MB)
> SCREEN: 13.3" LED
> [no microphone]
> [no DVD drive]
> Link: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=CniWi2O0iG9ppDTy
>
> I am a web developer (the applications I normally run: adobe
> illustrator, adobe photoshop, macromedia fireworks, openoffice, WAMP
> [Apache+MySQL+PHP], various IM (Skype+GTalk+MSN), and then 3 or 4
> different browsers at the same time [Mozilla+Safari+Opera+Chrome
> +IE]).
>
> Which laptop would you recommend, based on my use needs?
> My biggest concern about the Asus is the CPU: only 1.4 GHz (vs. 2.1
> GHz fo the VAIO), although it's a pretty new CPU. What do you think?
>
> Thanks all,
> Marc

I think the end of the link for the Sony item got truncated. So I
can't read the Sony information. Newegg has pictures of something
similar though.

One difference I see, is the Asus UX30 uses a 10 watt processor,
while the SR420 uses a 35 watt processor. That would have some
effect on battery runtime, if all other factors were equal
(which they likely aren't).

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLGHN

If you're not taking notes in class, but are located at a desk a lot,
then plugging in and keeping the SR420 charged up is not going to be
a problem. The Newegg specs for the SR420 mention a six hour runtime,
so you may not need to go to extremes like a 10 watt processor,
to get portable operation.

If they were the same price, it wouldn't take me two seconds to
make the choice. I'd pick the Sony one. Just for the 50% faster
processor. The Asus looks like an oversized netbook. Even the
keys on the Sony keyboard look better.

Paul