Velocity Reviews

-   -   Restoring sound (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t694846-restoring-sound.html)

Albert 08-15-2009 06:02 AM

Restoring sound

I reinstalled Windows and have no sound. I had sound when I bought the
laptop. What do I need to install to get sound back? I'm not even sure of
what details I need to give people!

Paul 08-15-2009 07:19 AM

Re: Restoring sound

Albert wrote:
> I reinstalled Windows and have no sound. I had sound when I bought the
> laptop. What do I need to install to get sound back? I'm not even sure of
> what details I need to give people!

Stating the make and model number of computer, makes life
a lot simpler.

*******

You might need a "sound driver" for your sound chip.

The manufacturer for the laptop will have a download page.
They may place a driver there. You need to verify the driver
is for the OS on your laptop. So if the OS on the laptop is
WinXP, you'd want a WinXP driver.

You can try Belarc Advisor, to get some information about
the computer.

*Do Not* copy the information verbatim from the
Belarc results, into a USENET posting. The Belarc report
may contain a copy of the WinXP CD key and other sensitive
information. Only copy the pertinent bits of the report,
if you want to copy something. The full Belarc report contains
a lot of crap, and we're not interested in that anyway.

These are some tidbits copied from my Belarc.

Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Main Circuit Board 4CoreDual-SATA2
Multimedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Belarc may not report the Make and Model Number of the
computer, so you should carefully find that info from the
invoice for your computer. Something like "DV5000" might
sound snazzy, but in some cases, there are specific model
numbers, like DV5016, which may have options not present
on other, similar models. In some cases, there may be
a whole bunch of entries on the website, that might be
based on DV5000. So sometimes, the *exact* model number
is important, not just the "flashy" model number. The
invoice may state what that is. Even the user manual
may have a generic title, like "setting up your computer".

From the snippet of Belarc above, I know the audio is
coming from a PCI card. So I'd be looking for a CMedia.com
driver.

If my Belarc report, mentioned something about AC'97 or
HDAudio, then those are part of the motherboard itself.
Then I would want to know who made the motherboard. For
a pre-built computer, going to the computer manufacturer
site, may give a driver. In some cases, the driver may
be for Vista, when you need a WinXP. Then the lonely
search begins, to find a particular driver for your HDAudio.
If the HDAudio chip was a RealTek, you could get it from
RealTek.com.tw (one jumbo driver handles a whole bunch of
stuff). If it was a Sigmatel, you'd have to scrounge
around Dell or HP site, looking for something similar.
Some drivers are very hard to find.

Paul

- Bobb - 08-15-2009 03:42 PM

Re: Restoring sound

> Albert wrote:
>> I reinstalled Windows and have no sound. I had sound when I bought the
>> laptop. What do I need to install to get sound back? I'm not even sure of
>> what details I need to give people!

> Stating the make and model number of computer, makes life
> a lot simpler.

Start-Control Panel - System - hardware tab - Device manager
or
Start-Control Panel - Sounds and Audio - Click HARDWARE tab.
That's the hardware you have -
click/check each to see device enabled ? , working OK ?.
Somewhere you'll see - 'no driver installed' or "unknown device" etc

Jeff Strickland 08-15-2009 04:04 PM

Re: Restoring sound

"Albert" <albert.xtheunknown0@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1ef8kjcf2mtfn$.h7ow0rvk4muk$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
>I reinstalled Windows and have no sound. I had sound when I bought the
> laptop. What do I need to install to get sound back? I'm not even sure of
> what details I need to give people!

Visit the Website of the maker of the laptop and download all of drivers.

Albert 08-15-2009 10:25 PM

Re: Restoring sound

Paul wrote:
> These are some tidbits copied from my Belarc.
>
> Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
> Main Circuit Board 4CoreDual-SATA2
> Multimedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Belarc says 'None detected' under Multimedia. What do I need to do now?

Albert 08-15-2009 10:28 PM

Re: Restoring sound

Bobb wrote:
> Start-Control Panel - Sounds and Audio - Click HARDWARE tab.
> That's the hardware you have -
> click/check each to see device enabled ? , working OK ?.
> Somewhere you'll see - 'no driver installed' or "unknown device" etc

I've got a yellow question mark against Multimedia Audio Controller and I
let Windows search online but it can't find what to install.

Paul 08-16-2009 01:03 AM

Re: Restoring sound

Albert wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> These are some tidbits copied from my Belarc.
>>
>> Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
>> Main Circuit Board 4CoreDual-SATA2
>> Multimedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

> Belarc says 'None detected' under Multimedia. What do I need to do now?

Please post the make and model number of the computer.

Paul

Albert 08-16-2009 01:24 AM

Re: Restoring sound

Paul wrote:
> Please post the make and model number of the computer.

IBM 2648RA1

Paul 08-16-2009 02:51 AM

Re: Restoring sound

Albert wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Please post the make and model number of the computer.

> IBM 2648RA1

So that seems to be a Thinkpad T23. I found one web page with
2648RA1 and it had a BIOS release listed of 1AET56WW and I
searched on that, to find this stuff.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...&validate=true

There is an audio driver for WinXP. "Crystal WDM Audio".

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-39956

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...s/aftp1axp.exe <--- the download

Inside that executable installer, I can find the INF file.

"cs429x.inf - Device description file for AC9x WDM driver files"

Give the "aftp1axp.exe" file a try. As long as the AC'97 is enabled
in the BIOS, I think it should work.

Paul

Albert 08-16-2009 07:20 AM

Re: Restoring sound

Paul wrote:
> Give the "aftp1axp.exe" file a try.

It doesn't work. I've still a yellow question mark that I mentioned in an
earlier post.