Velocity Reviews

-   -   Vista Compatibility Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t694532-vista-compatibility-problem.html)

Owen 08-12-2009 03:24 PM

Vista Compatibility Problem

I recently changed my computer and now have a Dell Inspiron 545 running
Vista instead of my old system running XP. I tried installing Roxio CD
Creator 5 (Which worked perfectly on old system) and found that there seems
to be a conflict with Vista so I had to
uninstall. This is an irritation but I can live with it.
However, on startup, I now have this persistent message from "Program
Compatibility Assistant" telling me that a driver is disabled due to
compatibility issues.
I cannot find the guilty driver to delete. I am only told that the driver is
" CD recording Software" Published by Roxio and that the location is
"unknown". Search draws blank. Can anyone help? or alternately help me to
get rid of this pesky message?

--
Owen

Jeff Strickland 08-12-2009 03:35 PM

Re: Vista Compatibility Problem

Have you considered installing Roxio, then going to Roxio's Website to
download the driver needed for Vista?

If you added the CD (hardware) to the machine, there's a chance you might
need a driver for it to operate in a Vista environment. For the record, I do
not expect this to be a problem, but tossed it out for consideration and to
dot the Is and cross the Ts.

GTS 08-12-2009 05:50 PM

Re: Vista Compatibility Problem

This worked for me on a customers Vista installation.
http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=...0131CR&PARAMS=

Owen 08-12-2009 06:06 PM

Re: Vista Compatibility Problem

I have looked at all suggestions and must accept that CD Creator 5 does not
appear to be compatible with Vista. My real problem is how do I get rid of
this "Program Compatibility Assistant" message that always pops up on
startup?

--
Owen

JD 08-12-2009 07:00 PM

Owen wrote:
> I recently changed my computer and now have a Dell Inspiron 545 running
> Vista instead of my old system running XP. I tried installing Roxio CD
> Creator 5 (Which worked perfectly on old system) and found that there
> seems to be a conflict with Vista so I had to
> uninstall. This is an irritation but I can live with it.
> However, on startup, I now have this persistent message from "Program
> Compatibility Assistant" telling me that a driver is disabled due to
> compatibility issues.
> I cannot find the guilty driver to delete. I am only told that the
> driver is " CD recording Software" Published by Roxio and that the
> location is "unknown". Search draws blank. Can anyone help? or
> alternately help me to get rid of this pesky message?

Hi there it looks as tho Roxio's uninstall has left some entries still
in your machine it will most likely be a driver that's loaded in with
windows on start-up you should be able to remove it with "HijackThis"
(http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...kthis/download)

I don't know what the entry you will be looking for is, but it will
most likely be named in a way you can tell what it is (or perhaps its
apparent from the "program computability assistant")It also tells you if
the file, the entry points to is not there.

hope that helps a little
JD

- Bobb - 08-13-2009 06:24 PM

Re: Vista Compatibility Problem

"Owen" <sandy1@iol.ie> wrote in message
>I recently changed my computer and now have a Dell Inspiron 545 running
> Vista instead of my old system running XP. I tried installing Roxio CD
> Creator 5 (Which worked perfectly on old system) and found that there
> seems to be a conflict with Vista so I had to
> uninstall. This is an irritation but I can live with it.
> However, on startup, I now have this persistent message from "Program
> Compatibility Assistant" telling me that a driver is disabled due to
> compatibility issues.
> I cannot find the guilty driver to delete. I am only told that the driver
> is " CD recording Software" Published by Roxio and that the location is
> "unknown". Search draws blank. Can anyone help? or alternately help me to
> get rid of this pesky message?
>
> --
> Owen

CCLeaner from download.com can pick thru the registry and remove unneeded
stuff.

I'm thinking if PC came with CDRW it would have had software with it, so -
tell us a few details... this is a pc that you BUILT ? You got an old Dell
box that USED to have XP and installed Vista ?
So you have NO cdrw driver / software installed? You're just using the CDRW
as a CD drive ?
If that's right, can't you delete the CDRW drive from the PC ( in device
manager) ?
Reboot - it should find the "new" CDRW (and still have no software to
install) .

Owen 08-18-2009 03:52 PM

Re: Vista Compatibility Problem

No I didnt build system, I bought a new tower from Dell and retained my old
speakers and monitor. I have new DVD RW drive
Neither "CCleaner" nor "Hijack this" seem to help. I still have this B***dy
message!
--
Owen

Jeff Strickland 08-18-2009 04:05 PM

Re: Vista Compatibility Problem

Have you tried Roxio's Website to get the Vista Drivers for their product?

- Bobb - 08-18-2009 08:08 PM

Re: Vista Compatibility Problem

Did you goto control panel - system- hardware - device manager ?
You see nothing with an exclamation point there ?
It's reporting DRIVER issue so I'm guessing Roxio may have changed something
but since ccleaner is OK, then not a Roxio/registry problem now - it's got
an "old driver".

1. Problem is since you added the DVD/RW ?
Did that DVD device come with a CD that has the driver on it ?
If so, reload driver from IT ( in case Roxio replaced yours with a generic
CDRW driver.) right-click on device - properties - driver - update - point
to CD / folder where driver is. install.

Reboot.

"Working Ok " or " Has an issue" ? 'Has an issue' and reloading driver
didn't fix it ? - right-click on it - DELETE the device.
Boot PC in Safe mode. ( press F8 right after you see BIOS info or DELL
splash screen)
Do you see "Program Compatibility Assistant" message now ?
- device manager - DVD drive listed ok ?

3. for background - see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948187
or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927525

For GENERAL info - they might apply EXACTLY.