Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Templating (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t694486-re-templating.html)

Roedy Green 08-12-2009 06:53 AM

Re: Templating

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:01:05 -0500, Spud <fake@fkfkfkf.com> wrote,

>We're looking for a way to do web page templates, so graphic designers
>don't have to work around code in our JSPs, and so we can be a bit more
>MVC-ish. I've looked at Freemarker, Velocity, and taglibs. I know there
>are others.

for a long list of them see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/framework.html

I would check out JSP, Freemarker, and JSF.

If you don't have Java on your server, you can do it all with code
generated on your workstation and uploaded, using my contribution,
HSM, HTML Static macros.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"You can have quality software, or you can have pointer arithmetic; but you cannot have both at the same time."
~ Bertrand Meyer (born: 1950 age: 59) 1989, creator of design by contract and the Eiffel language.

Arne Vajhøj 08-13-2009 12:27 AM

Re: Templating

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:01:05 -0500, Spud <fake@fkfkfkf.com> wrote,
>> We're looking for a way to do web page templates, so graphic designers
>> don't have to work around code in our JSPs, and so we can be a bit more
>> MVC-ish. I've looked at Freemarker, Velocity, and taglibs. I know there
>> are others.

> for a long list of them see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/framework.html
>
> I would check out JSP, Freemarker, and JSF.
>
> If you don't have Java on your server, you can do it all with code
> generated on your workstation and uploaded, using my contribution,
> HSM, HTML Static macros.

Given that he wrote "so graphic designers don't have to work
around code in our JSPs", then I think you can assume that he
knows about JSP and do have Java on his server.

Arne

Roedy Green 08-13-2009 07:19 AM

Re: Templating

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:27:18 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk>

>Given that he wrote "so graphic designers don't have to work
>around code in our JSPs", then I think you can assume that he
>knows about JSP and do have Java on his server.

I am not talking to him. I am talking to others who may have a
similar problem.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
~ Red Adair (born: 1915-06-18 died: 2004-08-07 at age: 89)

Roedy Green 08-13-2009 01:44 PM

Re: Templating

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:19:31 -0700, Roedy Green
<see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>I am not talking to him. I am talking to others who may have a
>similar problem.

It is fairly easy to come by free or very cheap static web hosting,
even decently high bandwidth. Many of us are on a tight budget.

Arne Vajhøj 08-13-2009 10:28 PM

Re: Templating

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:27:18 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk>
>> Given that he wrote "so graphic designers don't have to work
>> around code in our JSPs", then I think you can assume that he
>> knows about JSP and do have Java on his server.

> I am not talking to him. I am talking to others who may have a
> similar problem.

If they have a similar problem, then it will not be relevant
for them either.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj 08-13-2009 10:29 PM

Re: Templating

Roedy Green wrote:
> It is fairly easy to come by free or very cheap static web hosting,
> even decently high bandwidth. Many of us are on a tight budget.

Sure.

And there are undoubtedly relevant newsgroups for static
content as well.

But this is not one of them.

Arne