Velocity Reviews

-   -   Timers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t69412-timers.html)

Senthil Kumar 12-24-2003 09:34 AM

Timers

Hi,

I have a ASP.NET WebApplication. I want to do a
certain task every monday say 8.00 AM. Is there any
schedulder controls or any other controls like it that I
can use?

Thanks,
Senthil

srinivas moorthy 12-24-2003 12:20 PM

Timers

Hi,
Put a Windows Scheduler Service. Hope that solves your
problem. .Net facilitates in creating our own custom
windows services. If you need any info on that, i will
help you on this.

thanks
srinivas moorthy

Mohamed Sharaf 12-24-2003 04:27 PM

Re: Timers

Hi Senthil,
srinivas post is very good but if you don't have a dedicated server you
can't do it.
The alternative is to make the task as web page (ie.ASP or ASP.NET page)
and make new scheduled tasks in local computer to intiate this page by
making a small application that request it or even use internet explorer
(try Start-->run-->iexplore Microsoft.com ).

Hope that help
Mohamed Sharaf

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] 12-24-2003 11:06 PM

Re: Timers

ASP.NET pages aren't designed to do that kind of thing.
Instead I'd suggest creating a Windows Service.
Here's more information on Windows Services:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...owsService.asp

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

JiangZemin 12-24-2003 11:21 PM

Re: Timers

from what Senthil is describing it sounds like a console app + Windows Task
Scheduler might be worth looking into (simpler also, i would think). agree
it definitely doesnt sound like a job for ASP.NET.

HTH

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP] 12-25-2003 12:44 AM

Re: Timers

Here's a product that might help:

http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/Co...x?Control=1821

or this?

http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/Co...px?Control=775

Mohamed Sharaf 12-25-2003 10:50 AM

Re: Timers

Hi Steve,
My solution for the guys who can't install a windows service or can't
work with the server Scheduled tasks because they reserved only a web site
(virtual hosting)

Thanks
Mohamed Sharaf
MCSD MCT