Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Sticky" Webpages (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t692603-sticky-webpages.html)

ChrisCoaster 07-26-2009 10:15 PM

"Sticky" Webpages

P.I.T.A.!!!!!

You know when you go to a site - either by link via Google or Yahoo or
by typing in their URL, and then when you click the Back button it
keeps resolving the current page?

You keep hitting Back-Back-BACK-BACK-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA!!!!!! and finally
you end up just having to close MS Internet Explorer and open a new
one.

What's up with that??

-ChrisCoaster

sandy58 07-27-2009 07:10 AM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

On Jul 26, 11:15*pm, ChrisCoaster <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:
> P.I.T.A.!!!!!
>
> You know when you go to a site - either by link via Google or Yahoo or
> by typing in their URL, and then when you click the Back button it
> keeps resolving the current page?
>
> You keep hitting Back-Back-BACK-BACK-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA!!!!!! and finally
> you end up just having to close MS Internet Explorer and open a new
> one.
>
> What's up with that??
>
> -ChrisCoaster

Try Mozilla Firefox. :-)

Jeff Strickland 07-27-2009 03:15 PM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

"ChrisCoaster" <ckozicki@snet.net> wrote in message
> P.I.T.A.!!!!!
>
> You know when you go to a site - either by link via Google or Yahoo or
> by typing in their URL, and then when you click the Back button it
> keeps resolving the current page?
>
> You keep hitting Back-Back-BACK-BACK-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA!!!!!! and finally
> you end up just having to close MS Internet Explorer and open a new
> one.
>
> What's up with that??
>
> -ChrisCoaster

That comes from the Website, not the browser.

If you are using Internet Explorer 7 or 8 with Tabbed Browsing enabled, you
can simply close the current Tab to return to the page that invoked the tab
you just closed.

gnu / linux 07-28-2009 01:15 AM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

On Jul 26, 5:15 pm, ChrisCoaster <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:
> P.I.T.A.!!!!!
>
> You know when you go to a site - either by link via Google or Yahoo or
> by typing in their URL, and then when you click the Back button it
> keeps resolving the current page?
>
> You keep hitting Back-Back-BACK-BACK-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA!!!!!! and finally
> you end up just having to close MS Internet Explorer and open a new
> one.
>
> What's up with that??
>
> -ChrisCoaster

+1 Firefox here get the same thing close the tab not the whole browser

ChrisCoaster 07-31-2009 09:31 PM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

On Jul 27, 9:15*pm, "gnu / linux" <rob.fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 5:15 pm, ChrisCoaster <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:
>
> > P.I.T.A.!!!!!

> > You know when you go to a site - either by link via Google or Yahoo or
> > by typing in their URL, and then when you click the Back button it
> > keeps resolving the current page?

> > You keep hitting Back-Back-BACK-BACK-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA!!!!!! and finally
> > you end up just having to close MS Internet Explorer and open a new
> > one.

> > What's up with that??

> > -ChrisCoaster

> +1 Firefox here get the same thing close the tab not the whole browser

_____________________
Tabs have always been closed on any IE I've ever used - I find them
unnecessary clutter.

-CC

Jeff Strickland 07-31-2009 11:05 PM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

On Jul 27, 9:15 pm, "gnu / linux" <rob.fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 5:15 pm, ChrisCoaster <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:
>
> > P.I.T.A.!!!!!

> > You know when you go to a site - either by link via Google or Yahoo or
> > by typing in their URL, and then when you click the Back button it
> > keeps resolving the current page?

> > You keep hitting Back-Back-BACK-BACK-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA!!!!!! and finally
> > you end up just having to close MS Internet Explorer and open a new
> > one.

> > What's up with that??

> > -ChrisCoaster

> +1 Firefox here get the same thing close the tab not the whole browser

_____________________
Tabs have always been closed on any IE I've ever used - I find them
unnecessary clutter.

============
Tabs, like Brussel Srprouts, are an acquired taste.

I did not like tabs either, and was utterly unimpressed with FireFox when it
came out with the early implementation of Tabbed Browsing. I resisted IE7,
but finally relented and loaded IE8, and I have found that I can set several
Home Pages that all open in their own tab, and I can easily click from tab
to tab to change my place. I can reset all tabs at once the the respective
Home Page, or select which tab to set to Home.

Now that I've jumped onto the Tabbed Browser band wagon, I find that tabbed
browsing is actually a good thing. I still don't like FireFox, but that's
just me I suppose.

================

ChrisCoaster 08-01-2009 12:49 AM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

On Jul 31, 7:05*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote in message

> On Jul 27, 9:15 pm, "gnu / linux" <rob.fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 26, 5:15 pm, ChrisCoaster <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote:

> > > P.I.T.A.!!!!!

> > > You know when you go to a site - either by link via Google or Yahoo or
> > > by typing in their URL, and then when you click the Back button it
> > > keeps resolving the current page?

> > > You keep hitting Back-Back-BACK-BACK-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA!!!!!! and finally
> > > you end up just having to close MS Internet Explorer and open a new
> > > one.

> > > What's up with that??

> > > -ChrisCoaster

> > +1 Firefox here get the same thing close the tab not the whole browser

> _____________________
> Tabs have always been closed on any IE I've ever used - I find them
> unnecessary clutter.
>
> ============
> Tabs, like Brussel Srprouts, are an acquired taste.
>
> I did not like tabs either, and was utterly unimpressed with FireFox when it
> came out with the early implementation of Tabbed Browsing. I resisted IE7,
> but finally relented and loaded IE8, and I have found that I can set several
> Home Pages that all open in their own tab, and I can easily click from tab
> to tab to change my place. I can reset all tabs at once the the respective
> Home Page, or select which tab to set to Home.
>
> Now that I've jumped onto the Tabbed Browser band wagon, I find that tabbed
> browsing is actually a good thing. I still don't like FireFox, but that's
> just me I suppose.

___________________
Nice to know all that!

Now let's get back to the issue here - webpates that when you "back"
out of them they keep resolving. There doesn't seem to be much of a
pattern to this, just that I never go back to sites that "stick". It
happens at home and at work.

-ChrisCoaster

Jeff Strickland 08-01-2009 12:57 AM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

___________________
Nice to know all that!

Now let's get back to the issue here - webpates that when you "back"
out of them they keep resolving. There doesn't seem to be much of a
pattern to this, just that I never go back to sites that "stick". It
happens at home and at work.

-ChrisCoaster

==============
The Back button is driven by the current Website, not by the browser.
Failure to progress backwards through Websites is caused by the current
Website hijacking your browser history and redirecting you to the current
page instead of the previous page (site).

Not an issue of Tabbed Browsing.

FireFox might have a bit of an immunity to this, I do not know one way or
the other.

In IE, one can close a tab without closing the browser, and one can set any
given tab to Home while leaving the rest of the tabs on whatever page they
happen to be on. One can create a whole new tab at the default Home page,
and begine an entirely new experience.

But if the current page is written to prevent Backing out of it, then the
only way to escape is to close that tab. Again, FireFox might be immune to
being hijacked in that manner.

ChrisCoaster 08-01-2009 11:49 AM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

On Jul 31, 8:57*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote in message

> On Jul 31, 7:05 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "ChrisCoaster" <ckozi...@snet.net> wrote in message

> > > +1 Firefox here get the same thing close the tab not the whole browser

> > _____________________
> > Tabs have always been closed on any IE I've ever used - I find them
> > unnecessary clutter.

> > ============
> > Tabs, like Brussel Srprouts, are an acquired taste.

> > I did not like tabs either, and was utterly unimpressed with FireFox when
> > it
> > came out with the early implementation of Tabbed Browsing. I resisted IE7,
> > but finally relented and loaded IE8, and I have found that I can set
> > several
> > Home Pages that all open in their own tab, and I can easily click from tab
> > to tab to change my place. I can reset all tabs at once the the respective
> > Home Page, or select which tab to set to Home.

> > Now that I've jumped onto the Tabbed Browser band wagon, I find that
> > tabbed
> > browsing is actually a good thing. I still don't like FireFox, but that's
> > just me I suppose.

> ___________________
> Nice to know all that!
>
> Now let's get back to the issue here - webpates that when you "back"
> out of them they keep resolving. There doesn't seem to be much of a
> pattern to this, just that I never go back to sites that "stick". *It
> happens at home and at work.
>
> -ChrisCoaster
>
> ==============
> The Back button is driven by the current Website, not by the browser.
> Failure to progress backwards through Websites is caused by the current
> Website hijacking your browser history and redirecting you to the current
> page instead of the previous page (site).
>
> Not an issue of Tabbed Browsing.
>
> FireFox might have a bit of an immunity to this, I do not know one way or
> the other.
>
> In IE, one can close a tab without closing the browser, and one can set any
> given tab to Home while leaving the rest of the tabs on whatever page they
> happen to be on. One can create a whole new tab at the default Home page,
> and begine an entirely new experience.
>
> But if the current page is written to prevent Backing out of it, then the
> only way to escape is to close that tab. Again, FireFox might be immune to
> being hijacked in that manner.- Hide quoted text -

______________
Currently I have to close the whole browser when I encounter one of
those pages. So with tabbing engaged, I could just close the tab
associated with the stuck web page, and continue surfing on another
tab?

-CC

Jeff Strickland 08-01-2009 03:03 PM

Re: "Sticky" Webpages

______________
Currently I have to close the whole browser when I encounter one of
those pages. So with tabbing engaged, I could just close the tab
associated with the stuck web page, and continue surfing on another
tab?

==================
Yes, that's exactly right.

If you ONLY have one tab open, yoiu can open a second tab (simply click the
next tab) and it will open your Home Page in that tab, then select the
previous tab and close it by clicking the X. This will return you to your
Home Page, not to any previous page. But the browser does not have to be
closed and reopened.

For that matter, you should always be able to take any tab back to the Home
Page, or any browser back to the Home Page, by clicking the Home button or
icon on the browser's toolbar.

With a browser that supports Tabbed Browsing, it is common that if you do a
search, the results are displayed, and when you select one of the hits to
visit, that site is opened in a new tab. In this instance, you can close
that tab and the search results should still be there for you to make the
next selection. If the page you are visiting does not let you escape by
usinng the Back button, then you can close it and keep surfing from the last
good point before the page opened.