Velocity Reviews

-   -   Compress drive to save disk space (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t692508-compress-drive-to-save-disk-space.html)

Jeff Strickland 07-25-2009 03:59 PM

Compress drive to save disk space

I have never selected this option, until now.

I'm working on a new install of XP Home on a small drive, and I selected the
Compress option to include all of C:\ and sub-folders. I also have the
Indexing Service invoked.

What sort of problems might I find?

Under my rock, it seems to me that disk compression should be working pretty
good by now and there ought to be no problems.

JD 07-25-2009 07:34 PM

Re: Compress drive to save disk space

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I have never selected this option, until now.
>
> I'm working on a new install of XP Home on a small drive, and I selected the
> Compress option to include all of C:\ and sub-folders. I also have the
> Indexing Service invoked.
>
> What sort of problems might I find?
>
> Under my rock, it seems to me that disk compression should be working pretty
> good by now and there ought to be no problems.

You should get no problems from disk compression, bear in mind that you
wont reclaim much space if you have a lot of compressed files like
MP3's, AVI's etc.

Also worth noting that when you are using a compressed file it has to be
decompressed (in memory) so you may notice a small performance hit on
slower machines.

JD