Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   XP Home Activation Troubles (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t692462-xp-home-activation-troubles.html)

Jeff Strickland 07-24-2009 11:07 PM

XP Home Activation Troubles
 
I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.

Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
called for during ht einstall.

I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load is
the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP, but
without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.

I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.

How can I get around this?




Paul 07-24-2009 11:58 PM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles
 
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
> proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.
>
> Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
> install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
> called for during ht einstall.
>
> I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
> drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
> activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load is
> the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP, but
> without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.
>
> I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
> activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
> first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
> into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.
>
> How can I get around this?
>


If no other answer comes in, you can slipstream drivers into
your install CD, using NLite from nliteos.com . Drivers must
be in a certain format (txtsetup.oem / INF ?) to be integrated.
The end result is an ISO9660 file you burn with a program like
Nero, to make a new installer CD.

(second screenshot down is the driver section...)
http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nlite

I think they have forums as well. You may find examples of
driver integration here.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89

Paul


JD 07-25-2009 12:48 AM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles
 
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
> proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.
>
> Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
> install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
> called for during ht einstall.
>
> I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
> drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
> activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load is
> the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP, but
> without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.
>
> I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
> activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
> first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
> into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.
>
> How can I get around this?
>
>
>


Hi jeff

Paul's suggestion is a good one that's what I would try.

However I have installed windows so many times that I can do it in my
sleep.

I do use Nlite and I make automated installs, however I have also done
plenty of "standard" installs, I have never came across this problem,
windows does not stop you installing drivers while it is not activated,
you get 30 days to activate then it locks you out and I'm pretty sure it
does not ask you to activate unless it detects a Network connection.

If I understand correctly you are Repairing an already installed
version of windows XP ? if so you can install your driver by accessing
safe mode, if that fails you will probably have to install a fresh copy
of windows on the machine and if you really don't want to do that you
can deactivate the windows activation, I'll let you google that one
yourself.


JD

Jeff Strickland 07-25-2009 01:27 AM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles
 

"JD" <No.Reply@sorry.com> wrote in message
news:4a6a563d$0$2474$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
>> proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.
>>
>> Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
>> install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
>> called for during ht einstall.
>>
>> I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
>> drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
>> activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load
>> is the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP,
>> but without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.
>>
>> I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
>> activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
>> first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
>> into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.
>>
>> How can I get around this?
>>
>>
>>

>
> Hi jeff
>
> Paul's suggestion is a good one that's what I would try.
>
> However I have installed windows so many times that I can do it in my
> sleep.
>
> I do use Nlite and I make automated installs, however I have also done
> plenty of "standard" installs, I have never came across this problem,
> windows does not stop you installing drivers while it is not activated,
> you get 30 days to activate then it locks you out and I'm pretty sure it
> does not ask you to activate unless it detects a Network connection.
>
> If I understand correctly you are Repairing an already installed version
> of windows XP ? if so you can install your driver by accessing safe mode,
> if that fails you will probably have to install a fresh copy of windows on
> the machine and if you really don't want to do that you can deactivate the
> windows activation, I'll let you google that one yourself.
>
>


I started out with 30 days, but I swapped in a MB that did not physically
fit in order to test my theory that the original MB was toast. The 30 days
came up as 3 days, then became an immediate requirement. It took two or
three days for 30 to turn into 3, then another hour or two to become an
immediate requirement. 30 days to immediate requirement took a couple of
days on the calendar, but a matter of hours of troubleshooting time.

Now, I can't do anything until I Activate, but the machine hangs before the
dialog box opens to guide me through the Activation.

I just got off the phone with one of Bill's Boys, and we discovered that my
XP Home is an OEM copy, and the motherboard is a significant hardware change
that might be throwing the Activation off. Bill's Boys gave me a new Product
Key that, with any luck, will resolve my issues.

I think my option is to to a fresh install and reformat C:\. I'm resisting
that, but it's looking like that's what I gotta do.

This project is taking far more time than it should ...

Murphy said, "any job no matter how small will rapidly expand to overfill
the alloted time to perform it." Aint that the truth!












JD 07-25-2009 11:23 AM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles
 
Jeff Strickland wrote:

>> Hi jeff
>>
>> Paul's suggestion is a good one that's what I would try.
>>
>> However I have installed windows so many times that I can do it in my
>> sleep.
>>
>> I do use Nlite and I make automated installs, however I have also done
>> plenty of "standard" installs, I have never came across this problem,
>> windows does not stop you installing drivers while it is not activated,
>> you get 30 days to activate then it locks you out and I'm pretty sure it
>> does not ask you to activate unless it detects a Network connection.
>>
>> If I understand correctly you are Repairing an already installed version
>> of windows XP ? if so you can install your driver by accessing safe mode,
>> if that fails you will probably have to install a fresh copy of windows on
>> the machine and if you really don't want to do that you can deactivate the
>> windows activation, I'll let you google that one yourself.
>>
>>

>
> I started out with 30 days, but I swapped in a MB that did not physically
> fit in order to test my theory that the original MB was toast. The 30 days
> came up as 3 days, then became an immediate requirement. It took two or
> three days for 30 to turn into 3, then another hour or two to become an
> immediate requirement. 30 days to immediate requirement took a couple of
> days on the calendar, but a matter of hours of troubleshooting time.
>
> Now, I can't do anything until I Activate, but the machine hangs before the
> dialog box opens to guide me through the Activation.
>
> I just got off the phone with one of Bill's Boys, and we discovered that my
> XP Home is an OEM copy, and the motherboard is a significant hardware change
> that might be throwing the Activation off. Bill's Boys gave me a new Product
> Key that, with any luck, will resolve my issues.
>
> I think my option is to to a fresh install and reformat C:\. I'm resisting
> that, but it's looking like that's what I gotta do.
>
> This project is taking far more time than it should ...
>
> Murphy said, "any job no matter how small will rapidly expand to overfill
> the alloted time to perform it." Aint that the truth!
>
>


Ahhh thats right OEM copies are supposed to be installed on only one
machine, once, they make some sort of hardware hash that identifies the
machine, they will let you change so many of the components over X
amount of time, but a new MOBO counts as a new PC or some rubbish like that.

While I disagree with Microsoft's pricing and most of there EULA they
are actually not so bad when you phone them up.

Glad you got that one sorted out.

JD

Jeff Strickland 07-25-2009 04:06 PM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE
 
I had to do a fresh install that wiped C:\ clean. The Repair install refused
to activate, even when I used a different Product Key provided by MSoft.

The MSoft support guy gave it the old college try, hit one for the Gipper,
all of that. But nothing worked using the Repair. Repair looked like it was
going well, but the Activation Wizard simply failed to start properly. I
wish I could have deleted a file or Registry entry and moved forward from
there, but not even MSoft knows the secret I was looking for.






"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:h4df9g$86r$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
>proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.
>
> Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
> install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
> called for during ht einstall.
>
> I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
> drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
> activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load is
> the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP, but
> without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.
>
> I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
> activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
> first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
> into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.
>
> How can I get around this?
>
>
>




- Bobb - 09-11-2009 10:38 PM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE
 
Jeff,
I know it's history and no need to reply, but I just saw this note and
thought I'd drop a line .... Did you explain to MSFT support that you were
using new motherboard ? I would think: that license was already used on
"ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD", so like trying to register on TWO PC's. I would
expect it to fail using the first serial number. IF you could get someone
at Microsoft to trust you ( good luck), then they could kill the first s/n
and generate a new one for you.

I had issues with my storebought XP years ago. I had it installed and
running fine for ~ a year. Then they came out with that app on Windowsupdate
that "verifies you have a legit s/n". Mine failed the test. I did a bit of
yelling and eventually ended up talking to someone who had me run another
app ( from install CD ??) . Then gave me a different number to enter. That
screen layout for s/n was not even same format as usual license - maybe 9
groups of 5 alphanumerics.?? Doing THAT generated a new s/n for me in the
registry - it has worked fine since.

Bobb

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:h4favm$hs1$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>I had to do a fresh install that wiped C:\ clean. The Repair install
>refused to activate, even when I used a different Product Key provided by
>MSoft.
>
> The MSoft support guy gave it the old college try, hit one for the Gipper,
> all of that. But nothing worked using the Repair. Repair looked like it
> was going well, but the Activation Wizard simply failed to start properly.
> I wish I could have deleted a file or Registry entry and moved forward
> from there, but not even MSoft knows the secret I was looking for.
>
> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:h4df9g$86r$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>I have a client machine that is an old Win ME machine that we installed a
>>proper copy of XP Home. That was a year ago.
>>
>> Now, the motherboard is toast, I put in a new one and am repairing the
>> install of XP Home. I've got the product key, and I've entered it when
>> called for during ht einstall.
>>
>> I have to load drivers and such for the motherboard, but I can't load the
>> drivers until XP starts, and I can't start XP until I activate, but
>> activation is over the internet and one of the drivers that has to load
>> is the network interface -- without the interface, I can't activate XP,
>> but without activating XP I can't load the drivers for the interface.
>>
>> I'm in a Catch 22, I can't load the drivers until I activate, but I can't
>> activate until I load the drivers. I don't really care much which came
>> first, the chicken or the egg. Right now I'm about to stuff the egg back
>> into the chicken regardless of what the chicken has to say.
>>
>> How can I get around this?
>>
>>
>>

>
>




Jeff Strickland 09-11-2009 11:01 PM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE
 

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:h8ejh6$39f$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> Jeff,
> I know it's history and no need to reply, but I just saw this note and
> thought I'd drop a line .... Did you explain to MSFT support that you were
> using new motherboard ? I would think: that license was already used on
> "ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD", so like trying to register on TWO PC's. I would
> expect it to fail using the first serial number. IF you could get someone
> at Microsoft to trust you ( good luck), then they could kill the first s/n
> and generate a new one for you.
>
> I had issues with my storebought XP years ago. I had it installed and
> running fine for ~ a year. Then they came out with that app on
> Windowsupdate that "verifies you have a legit s/n". Mine failed the test.
> I did a bit of yelling and eventually ended up talking to someone who had
> me run another app ( from install CD ??) . Then gave me a different number
> to enter. That screen layout for s/n was not even same format as usual
> license - maybe 9 groups of 5 alphanumerics.?? Doing THAT generated a
> new s/n for me in the registry - it has worked fine since.
>
> Bobb
>


The Activation wasn't getting far enough to know that the Install was a
duplicate. Turns out the issue was the Repair Install, I think. I eventually
had to do a Full Install, and then the Activation Assistant worked properly.
I also used the new key code that MSFT gave me. I had purchased an OEM CD
from the local computer store that was intended for use with a Dell System.
My Install was not a Dell, and the Repair was not the same as the Orignial
Install -- significant hardware changes. I think that the Full Install with
the original key code would have done the job, but I have no way of knowing.

As an update,
The machine belongs to a customer of my wife, and I was fixing it. The lady
has a Xerox printer that came with the machine when she bought it back when
they had built it with Win ME. Now that it's running XP, SP3, the drivers
for the printer don't work anymore, and there are no drivers available. The
lady shoulda bought a new machine and gotten the free printer, and
immediately removed Vista and loaded it with XP.








- Bobb - 09-12-2009 12:57 PM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE
 

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:h8eksd$ckl$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
> news:h8ejh6$39f$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>> Jeff,
>> I know it's history and no need to reply, but I just saw this note and
>> thought I'd drop a line .... Did you explain to MSFT support that you
>> were using new motherboard ? I would think: that license was already
>> used on "ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD", so like trying to register on TWO PC's?
>> Bobb
>>


> I had purchased an OEM CD from the local computer store that was intended
> for use with a Dell System.


Did the store owner say it WOULD work ?

> My install was not a Dell, and the Repair was not the same as the Orignial
> Install -- significant hardware changes.


Isn't the program expecting to find it's own apps, info on the hidden
partition

> I think that the Full Install with the original key
> code would have done the job, but I have no way of knowing.
>


A full OEM install ?? I always thought an OEM CD was only for restoring that
model. I used to work on OEM stuff and was told that - how it works is that
the OEM s/n needs to match ... some hardware key at a low level: prior to CD
even starting the process.

> As an update,
> The machine belongs to a customer of my wife, and I was fixing it. The
> lady has a Xerox printer that came with the machine when she bought it
> back when they had built it with Win ME. Now that it's running XP, SP3,
> the drivers for the printer don't work anymore, and there are no drivers
> available. The lady shoulda bought a new machine and gotten the free
> printer, and immediately removed Vista and loaded it with XP.


You tried to manually load the original driver and got an error ?
I would think it would work if loaded, but not autofind/autosense it.
Glad I was never an WinME user.



Jeff Strickland 09-12-2009 06:32 PM

Re: XP Home Activation Troubles -- UPDATE
 

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:h8g5rl$d8h$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:h8eksd$ckl$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:h8ejh6$39f$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>> Jeff,
>>> I know it's history and no need to reply, but I just saw this note and
>>> thought I'd drop a line .... Did you explain to MSFT support that you
>>> were using new motherboard ? I would think: that license was already
>>> used on "ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD", so like trying to register on TWO PC's?
>>> Bobb
>>>

>
>> I had purchased an OEM CD from the local computer store that was intended
>> for use with a Dell System.

>
> Did the store owner say it WOULD work ?
>


It did work when I bought it. It did not fail until I did a significant
upgrade to the system, and attempted a Repair Install.




>> My install was not a Dell, and the Repair was not the same as the
>> Orignial Install -- significant hardware changes.

>
> Isn't the program expecting to find it's own apps, info on the hidden
> partition
>


That's stuff for the Magic Smoke to sort out. You know magic smoke; it's
that stuff that if it comes out, nothing works anymore.




>> I think that the Full Install with the original key
>> code would have done the job, but I have no way of knowing.
>>

>
> A full OEM install ?? I always thought an OEM CD was only for restoring
> that model. I used to work on OEM stuff and was told that - how it works
> is that the OEM s/n needs to match ... some hardware key at a low level:
> prior to CD even starting the process.
>


I get the Install Options of, New or Repair.



>> As an update,
>> The machine belongs to a customer of my wife, and I was fixing it. The
>> lady has a Xerox printer that came with the machine when she bought it
>> back when they had built it with Win ME. Now that it's running XP, SP3,
>> the drivers for the printer don't work anymore, and there are no drivers
>> available. The lady shoulda bought a new machine and gotten the free
>> printer, and immediately removed Vista and loaded it with XP.

>
> You tried to manually load the original driver and got an error ?
> I would think it would work if loaded, but not autofind/autosense it.
> Glad I was never an WinME user.
>
>


The printer wants to calibrate the print head on every print job. The
options are Yes or No. If Yes, it fails to calibrate because a DLL is not
found, and if No then it prints without calibrating, but asks again with the
next print job. This is a new behavior that comes with SP3, and Xerox does
not offer a driver update that works around the calibration.







All times are GMT. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.