Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do i limit the bandwidth for other computers on a network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t691441-how-do-i-limit-the-bandwidth-for-other-computers-on-a-network.html)

Avi 07-16-2009 12:37 PM

How do i limit the bandwidth for other computers on a network

I have 2 computers at home and i have set up a p2p(dont know if thats
the correct word - they are connected by a cable running between their
respective LAN cards) LAN network between them. My concern is to limit
the bandwidth alloted to secondary computer frm the main pc. Both
computers are running WinXP SP2. Is there a way to achieve this? Thank
you.

why? 07-16-2009 04:35 PM

Re: How do i limit the bandwidth for other computers on a network

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 05:37:09 -0700 (PDT), Avi wrote:

>I have 2 computers at home and i have set up a p2p(dont know if thats

So is this the local bandwidth between your p2p PCs or the secondary not
swamping your internet link?

If it's not p2p (file sharing) and your internet link, what is it you
need to limit application / type of traffic?

>the correct word - they are connected by a cable running between their
>respective LAN cards) LAN network between them. My concern is to limit
>the bandwidth alloted to secondary computer frm the main pc. Both

It's bandwidth for sharing apps and not an overall speed issue? No point
up grading from whetever speed nic's you have?

>computers are running WinXP SP2. Is there a way to achieve this? Thank
>you.

Most of the time it's used sharing an internet/isp link between multiple
PCs. In that case you need a router/modem with QoS, configure the
application / bandwidth on router/PCs.

If your modem/router doesn't support QoS then don't configure the PCs
for it either.

Past posts in 24HSHD,
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
have mentioned QoS , needs to be configured on both ends of a link.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3688
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316666
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=158
http://forums.techarena.in/networkin...ty/1075493.htm