Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: blocking the worst websites (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t690911-re-blocking-the-worst-websites.html)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 07-11-2009 11:34 PM

Re: blocking the worst websites

In alt.computer.security, tg wrote:
[comp.security does not exist at my news server]

> I want to know if there's a list available of say 100 (or less) most
> dangerous ip addresses to avoid. Not spam blacklists, but ip's that
> hack and infect visitors.

IPs that hack and infect .. could be the IP of any Windows computer on
the planet. You can't block them all.

> I know about hosts.zip and I've got this file in my PC, but this list
> is too big for the config of my cisco router and I want these sites
> blocked at my router, so I have to trim the list down to about 100
> ip's at most. Thanks for any advice.

Well, if you have a router, it will block all inbound unsolicited
traffic. What more could you ask for?

Use that HOSTS file to prevent your *browser* from *soliciting* anything
from those domains.

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 07-12-2009 11:16 AM

Re: blocking the worst websites

In alt.computer.security, tg wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> In alt.computer.security, tg wrote:
>> [comp.security does not exist at my news server]
>> Use that HOSTS file to prevent your *browser* from *soliciting*
>> anything from those domains.

> but I have multiple computers which means continually updating the
> multiple hosts files. It would be easier to just block the worst
> websites at the router.

Well, one does what one needs to do. If your computers are networked,
you could probably write a little script to do the updating. Otherwise,
an update should only be a few clicks per computer. 'Drag'n'drop.'

--
-bts