Velocity Reviews

-   -   Anti-virus for Apple Mac (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t690174-anti-virus-for-apple-mac.html)

~BD~ 07-05-2009 05:46 PM

Anti-virus for Apple Mac

Hi

I've received notification in the Kaspersky labs forums that there is a
new beta program available to download, here:-

http://downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com...Anti-Virus.dmg

I'm on board my narrowboat at present with only my Windows XP laptop
available. Just wondered if anyone here might like to try/investigate
the facility and report their findings.

--
Dave

Peter Foldes 07-06-2009 10:51 AM

Re: Anti-virus for Apple Mac

More detail:-

RELEASE NOTES

Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac (Beta):

Distributive:
http://data2.kaspersky.com:8080/Dist...Anti-Virus.dmg
Key file for beta version:
http://data2.kaspersky.com:8080/Distr/mac/05CFFF7B.key

Build 8.0.0.255 (5.06.2009)

Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac protects home users of Apple
Macintosh-based computers against malware.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

The minimum system requirements for proper functioning of Kaspersky
Anti-Virus for Mac are as follows:

Mac-based computer with Intel processor
512 MB RAM
100 MB available hard drive space
CD-ROM (for installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac from installation
CD)
Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.5 operating systems

INSTALLATION

WHAT'S NEW IN KASPERSKY ANTI-VIRUS FOR MAC

New in protection:

- Kaspersky Anti-Virus is developed based on an enhanced anti-virus
kernel that has a high efficiency in malware detection
- File scan runs automatically in real-time mode or by user's demand
- Automatic updating of application databases
- New in the application interface:

- The application interface is designed in Mac style, with the use of
principles and agreements developed for this platform, thus making the
use of Kaspersky Anti-Virus more convenient to Mac users
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus integrates the security assistant which allows
the user to solve all security problems in a single window on his or her
computer

MAIN KNOWN ISSUES

- If the application settings are blocked from custom changes, the help
button in the settings window is inoperable.
- When restoring a file from Quarantine or Backup, file loses the access
rights it had when it was added. To access the file, you should set the
rights manually under an administrator's account.
- When adding Kaspersky Anti-Virus into Firewall integrated in Mac OS X
10.5, the application cannot be started. To solve this problem, you
should reinstall the application.
- In certain report windows, pop-up hints are displayed incorrectly.
- When installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac together with Kaspersky
Anti-Virus for Windows installed on Parallels virtual machine, both
anti-virus applications start at the operating system's startup. To
solve this problem, you should remove or rename the application bundle
automatically created by Parallels for Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows.

ADDITIONAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION

Forum: http://forum.kaspersky.com

Kaspersky Lab 1997-2009

~BD~ 07-07-2009 07:21 AM

Re: Anti-virus for Apple Mac

You may believe it or not, but that was a mistake on my part and was
*not* intended. I had meant to post in my own name.

I apologise unreservedly.

For the benefit of newbies who might be reading here, David, please
explain how you *knew* it was me posting, not Peter - and just what
caused you to check message headers in this particular instance. Thanks.
--
Dave

news:2eGdnYiplZuE98_XnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

~BD~ 07-07-2009 08:06 AM

Re: Anti-virus for Apple Mac

Hand duly smacked! Sorry.

news:RNudnQAVP5MI6s_XnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@trueband.net ...

1PW 07-07-2009 08:09 AM

Reprehensible Personal Behavior

This goes well beyond nym shifting.

No creditable explanation exists.

This is a disgusting action!

Pete

~BD~ 07-08-2009 07:26 PM

Re: Anti-virus for Apple Mac

I've been chastised many times for changing the 'subject' of a thread
mid-way through - there is *no* excuse for you doing so on this
occasion, 1PW.

Without a proper response as to *why* David H. Lipman checked the
message properties of the post I made - mistakenly and unintentionally -
with the posting name of Peter Foldes, neither he, nor you, will have
credibility in this newsgroup.

The information posted was provided by Kaspersky and, AFAICT is bona
fide. Is anyone questioning the information posted?

--
Dave

1PW 07-08-2009 08:41 PM

.

~BD~ wrote:
> I've been chastised many times for changing the 'subject' of a thread
> mid-way through - there is *no* excuse for you doing so on this
> occasion, 1PW.

You are deflecting. When the threads of others are stolen, you should
be corrected. Your recent misdeed certainly warranted it.

> Without a proper response as to *why* David H. Lipman checked the
> message properties of the post I made - mistakenly and unintentionally -
> with the posting name of Peter Foldes, neither he, nor you, will have
> credibility in this newsgroup.

When you click on that "Send" button, you are totally responsible for
every bit of that message's content.

You are deflecting. I believe David, Peter and I can successfully
match our individual or collective credibility in /any/ newsgroup.
The fact that anyone at anytime seeks to validate the origins of post
of another does not bring dishonor or suspicion upon them. It is a
laudable practice.

> The information posted was provided by Kaspersky and, AFAICT is bona
> fide. Is anyone questioning the information posted?
>
> --
> Dave

Hello Dave:

Your public lapses in good judgment perhaps /could/ be attributed to
the overuse of alcohol as you may have hinted. If this is the case
Dave, please get help. Your poor behavior dishonors you, but can and
would be forgiven with hard work on your part.

I do feel the shame of your misdeeds. I will pray for you Dave.

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Todd H. 07-08-2009 09:01 PM

Re: Anti-virus for Apple Mac

"~BD~" <BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk> writes:

> I've been chastised many times for changing the 'subject' of a thread
> mid-way through - there is *no* excuse for you doing so on this
> occasion, 1PW.
>
> Without a proper response as to *why* David H. Lipman checked the
> message properties of the post I made - mistakenly and unintentionally -
> with the posting name of Peter Foldes, neither he, nor you, will have
> credibility in this newsgroup.

Dave, I don't think the burden of credibility is on either of them.
Depending on how one reads news, the headers that gave you away
weren't headers at all--it's your posting style of just pasting
privately received emails here without any introductory comments that
surely drew suspicion, and sure enough a quick header check showed a
pattern that matched all your prior postings. David Lipman need not
explain himself. 1PW's assessment of such behavior (forging posts
impersonating someone else) is entirely justified as well.

Why or how the heck you "mistakenly" forged a posting as Peter Foldes
will keep you on the suspicion list for everyone probably in
perpetuity. It's also why you won't receive a response to the private email you
sent me.

It takes a bit of effort to "mistakenly" change your posting address
in your newreader, so you'll forgive anyone who has a hard time
accepting the "oops" explanation you've offered.

--
Todd H.

~BD~ 07-08-2009 09:10 PM

Re: Anti-virus for Apple Mac

"Todd H." <comphelp@toddh.net> wrote in message
> "~BD~" <BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I've been chastised many times for changing the 'subject' of a
>> thread
>> mid-way through - there is *no* excuse for you doing so on this
>> occasion, 1PW.
>>
>> Without a proper response as to *why* David H. Lipman checked the
>> message properties of the post I made - mistakenly and
>> unintentionally -
>> with the posting name of Peter Foldes, neither he, nor you, will have
>> credibility in this newsgroup.

> Dave, I don't think the burden of credibility is on either of them.
> Depending on how one reads news, the headers that gave you away
> weren't headers at all--it's your posting style of just pasting
> privately received emails here without any introductory comments that
> surely drew suspicion, and sure enough a quick header check showed a
> pattern that matched all your prior postings. David Lipman need not
> explain himself. 1PW's assessment of such behavior (forging posts
> impersonating someone else) is entirely justified as well.
>
> Why or how the heck you "mistakenly" forged a posting as Peter Foldes
> will keep you on the suspicion list for everyone probably in
> perpetuity. It's also why you won't receive a response to the
> private email you
> sent me.
>
> It takes a bit of effort to "mistakenly" change your posting address
> in your newreader, so you'll forgive anyone who has a hard time
> accepting the "oops" explanation you've offered.
>
> --
> Todd H.

I'll not make excuses, Todd.

I usually use Eternal-September for posting on this group. On the
occasion in question I mistakenly posted from the aoie server (which I
had previously used experimentally - set up with Mr Foldes name).

He says he can track my movements anywhere on the Internet, regardless
of my IP address - and has a record of every post I have made for the
last four years. He has not explained *why*. That truly
concerns/interests me.

I had no wish or intention of annoying folk on *this* group. I am sorry
for so doing.
--
Dave

~BD~ 07-08-2009 09:17 PM

Re: .

"1PW" <barcrnahgjuvfgy@nby.pbz> wrote in message

I will pray for you Dave.

> Pete
> --
> 1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Thank you, Pete. :)

My actions are guided by His hand by the way.
--
Dave