Velocity Reviews

-   Hardware (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f5-hardware.html)
-   -   Different Ping response times (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t689950-different-ping-response-times.html)

sandhyashyamsundar 07-03-2009 06:42 AM

Different Ping response times

Hi All

I am doing a ping from Router A to Router B and getting a response of 20 ms. But, when i do the ping from Router B to Router A, i am getting a response time of 30 ms. Ideally, as per my understanding, ping response response times should be same both ways, as the round trip time is taken. Also, the path taken by echo packets will be the one chosen by IGP. Please clarify as to why the response times could be different.

Thanks

L8ians 07-07-2009 05:22 PM

Ping times and losses can vary greatly depending on the speed and
quality of your Internet connection, congestion on the Internet, and the load being handled by the PC.

simple method to calculate the response time:
Response Time = Transmission Time + Delays + Client Processing Time + Server Processing Time.