Velocity Reviews

-   -   Image width (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t689871-image-width.html)

shapper 07-02-2009 04:11 PM

Image width

Hello,

I am displaying a few images which width goes from 60px to 80 px.
What is the correct way to resize all images to 60px width and keep
the proportions?

Just setting the width to 60px and not setting the height?

Thanks,
Miguel

Adrienne Boswell 07-02-2009 04:37 PM

Re: Image width

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed shapper <mdmoura@gmail.com>
writing in news:76682ae2-1de4-42c1-b72e-1f0d25eefce6
@a7g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

> Hello,
>
> I am displaying a few images which width goes from 60px to 80 px.
> What is the correct way to resize all images to 60px width and keep
> the proportions?
>
> Just setting the width to 60px and not setting the height?
>
> Thanks,
> Miguel

The best way to resize an image is to use an image editor, not the
browser. There are several reasons for this:
1. Browsers do a shitty job
2. The user still downloads the original image, so if you have an image
that is 8x10 inches and use a browser to reduce it to 100x200 pixels,
the user still has to wait for the entire 8x10 to download. On a slow
connection, that can be a very long time.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Jonathan N. Little 07-02-2009 04:58 PM

Re: Image width

Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> 2. The user still downloads the original image, so if you have an image
> that is 8x10 inches and use a browser to reduce it to 100x200 pixels,
> the user still has to wait for the entire 8x10 to download. On a slow
> connection, that can be a very long time.

Here, here! Damn tired of those 8-megapixel "thumbnails"

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Nico Schuyt 07-02-2009 05:56 PM

Re: Image width

shapper wrote

> I am displaying a few images which width goes from 60px to 80 px.
> What is the correct way to resize all images to 60px width and keep
> the proportions?
> Just setting the width to 60px and not setting the height?

Or (in the head of the page):
img {width: 60px} /* (or img.classname to apply the size only to specific
images) */

Better (as explained by Adrienne Boswell and Sid): resize the images in an
editor. IrfanView (free) makes it very easy to resize images in batch

--
Nico

dorayme 07-02-2009 11:22 PM

Re: Image width

In article <Xns9C3C6157A52A6arbpenyahoocom@188.40.43.213>,
Adrienne Boswell <arbpen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed shapper <mdmoura@gmail.com>
> writing in news:76682ae2-1de4-42c1-b72e-1f0d25eefce6
> @a7g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am displaying a few images which width goes from 60px to 80 px.
> > What is the correct way to resize all images to 60px width and keep
> > the proportions?
> >
> > Just setting the width to 60px and not setting the height?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Miguel
> >

> The best way to resize an image is to use an image editor, not the
> browser. There are several reasons for this:
> 1. Browsers do a shitty job

If you provide an 80px wide image on the server, it would be fine at
60px in the browsers I use. Which browsers would it look shitty in?

--
dorayme

dorayme 07-02-2009 11:27 PM

Re: Image width

In article <4a4cf4dd$0$67814$dbd4d001@news.euronet.nl>,
"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt (AT)gmail(DOT)com> wrote:

> shapper wrote
>
> > I am displaying a few images which width goes from 60px to 80 px.
> > What is the correct way to resize all images to 60px width and keep
> > the proportions?
> > Just setting the width to 60px and not setting the height?

> Or (in the head of the page):
> img {width: 60px} /* (or img.classname to apply the size only to specific
> images) */
>

> Better (as explained by Adrienne Boswell and Sid): resize the images in an
> editor. IrfanView (free) makes it very easy to resize images in batch

Only better if the OP's 80pxers look lousy at 60px. Care to show some
examples and the browsers you are seeing this in for our information?

--
dorayme

Nico Schuyt 07-03-2009 12:07 AM

Re: Image width

dorayme wrote:
> "Nico Schuyt" wrote:
>> shapper wrote

>> > I am displaying a few images which width goes from 60px to 80 px.
>> > What is the correct way to resize all images to 60px width and keep
>> > the proportions?
>> > Just setting the width to 60px and not setting the height?

>> Or (in the head of the page):
>> img {width: 60px} /* (or img.classname to apply the size only to specific
>> images) */

>> Better (as explained by Adrienne Boswell and Sid): resize the images in
>> an
>> editor. IrfanView (free) makes it very easy to resize images in batch

> Only better if the OP's 80pxers look lousy at 60px. Care to show some
> examples and the browsers you are seeing this in for our information?

Test page: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/testimage.htm

http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/testimage-ie6.jpg as shown in IE6 en Opera
9.32

FireFox does a better job

--
Nico

dorayme 07-03-2009 02:39 AM

Re: Image width

In article <4a4d4bdc$0$72808$dbd41001@news.euronet.nl>,
"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt (AT)gmail(DOT)com> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > "Nico Schuyt" wrote:
> >> shapper wrote

> >> Or (in the head of the page):
> >> img {width: 60px} /* (or img.classname to apply the size only to specific
> >> images) */

> >> Better (as explained by Adrienne Boswell and Sid): resize the images in
> >> an
> >> editor. IrfanView (free) makes it very easy to resize images in batch

> > Only better if the OP's 80pxers look lousy at 60px. Care to show some
> > examples and the browsers you are seeing this in for our information?

> Test page: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/testimage.htm
>
> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/testimage-ie6.jpg as shown in IE6 en Opera
> 9.32

I had in mind a test is to keep the aspect, not to distort it. Look at
OP's reasonable requirements to "keep the proportions".

--
dorayme

Nico Schuyt 07-03-2009 05:42 AM

Re: Image width

"dorayme" wrote
> "Nico Schuyt" wrote:
>> dorayme wrote:

>> > Only better if the OP's 80pxers look lousy at 60px. Care to show some
>> > examples and the browsers you are seeing this in for our information?

>> Test page: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/testimage.htm
>>
>> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/testimage-ie6.jpg as shown in IE6 en Opera
>> 9.32

> I had in mind a test is to keep the aspect, not to distort it. Look at
> OP's reasonable requirements to "keep the proportions".

Sorry, I thought for a moment that the "Just setting the width to 60px and
not setting the height" was his suggestion for a solution.
Proportional resized:

Nik Coughlin 07-03-2009 06:07 AM

Re: Image width

"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt (AT)gmail(DOT)com> wrote in message

> Sorry, I thought for a moment that the "Just setting the width to 60px and
> not setting the height" was his suggestion for a solution.
> Proportional resized:
> http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/testimage.htm

What editor are you using? The HTML and CSS resized images look _nicer_ in
Firefox than the editor resized one :)