Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Photomatix & HDR (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t689475-re-photomatix-and-hdr.html)

D-Mac 06-29-2009 08:51 AM

Re: Photomatix & HDR

Savageduck wrote:
> I have been dabbling with HDR both with CS4 (OK , but not great) &
> Photomatix Pro, which seems to give a fair degree of flexibility and
> reasonable results.
>
> Here is an image I have been working with from a recent Yosemite road
> trip. 3 exposures -1: 0: +1.
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...HDRtm-Dc1w.jpg
>
> Any suggestions?

According to clients what looks right is usually right ... HDR is not
always the best method to level out dynamic range. Examples like the one
you posted are not really looking right are they?

Most of us search for something different in the way of technique in
order to establish our own 'signature look'. HDR offers an ability to
grossly over produce effects in a search for individuality and in the
process destroy what we want to enjoy.

I think if it doesn't look right, it isn't right. I've been using image
enhancing software for many years. Some I make portraits with, others I
use to make landscapes with. Here is a portrait example:
http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au...camera-hdr.htm Hardly
an example of HDR but I used Lucisart to obtain it.

Using software to blend images is OK I guess but there are other ways.
The lower photo in this pair is done entirely in-camera whilst the top
shot is blended from 3 images. Which one do you prefer?
http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au.../HDR-V-WDR.htm

My favourite enhancement software is produced by "Lucis". It enhances
detail and repairs some images but it's real benefit is in tone mapping
to produce HDR like results.

There are 2 different programs. One is version 3:
http://www.lucisart.com/lucisart-3-effects-features.htm

and the other is the pro version 6:
http://www.lucispro.com/lucis-artist...es/sublime.htm

Unfortunately for those looking for "free" software, this is not it. The
basic version 3 is not exactly cheap and you have to pay serious money
for the Pro version. I fought with myself for many weeks before making
the decision to buy it. Having done that, I don't regret it but it's not
for everyone.

--
D-Mac... Back from the near-dead!
With my survival comes a new ability ...multi-tasking.

Burt Johnson 06-29-2009 11:36 PM

Re: Lucisart

D-Mac <ping.me@news.group> wrote:

> My favourite enhancement software is produced by "Lucis". It enhances
> detail and repairs some images but it's real benefit is in tone mapping
> to produce HDR like results.
>
> There are 2 different programs. One is version 3:
> http://www.lucisart.com/lucisart-3-effects-features.htm
>
> and the other is the pro version 6:
> http://www.lucispro.com/lucis-artist...es/sublime.htm

As you have said, it depends on what you happen to like. To me, those
images on the 'features' link look overprocessed. I can see where some
may like them, but I reject them if they showed up that way in my own
workflow.

The gallery shows other photographers who use Lucisarts, and some of
those images are pretty nice.

PhotoMatrix seems to be the preferred HDR / tonemapping software from
pretty much every professional I have talked to (among those that don't
dismiss HDR out of hand anyway).

In looking over the site, I can't see any reason to move away from
Photomatrix. Is there anything you can point to me that will make say
"Wow! I gotta switch!" ?

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.

Annika1980 06-30-2009 03:59 AM

Re: Photomatix & HDR

On Jun 29, 4:51*am, D-Mac <ping...@news.group> wrote:

> There are 2 different programs. One is version 3:http://www.lucisart.com/lucisart-3-effects-features.htm
>
> and the other is the pro version 6:http://www.lucispro.com/lucis-artist...es/sublime.htm
>
> Unfortunately for those looking for "free" software, this is not it. The
> basic version 3 is not exactly cheap and you have to pay serious money
> for the Pro version. I fought with myself for many weeks before making
> the decision to buy it. Having done that, I don't regret it but it's not
> for everyone.

It's simply a plug-in for people who can't figure out how to use
Photoshop.
Folks like yourself.

Wayne R. 06-30-2009 11:08 AM

Re: Photomatix & HDR

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:59:04 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
<annika1980@aol.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):

>Folks like yourself.

Unnecessary.

Annika1980 06-30-2009 02:09 PM

Re: Photomatix & HDR

On Jun 30, 7:08*am, Wayne R. <wruff...@KomKast.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:59:04 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
> <annika1...@aol.com> wrote (with clarity & insight):
>
> >Folks like yourself.

> Unnecessary.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.