Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why does this not work in IE8? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t689252-why-does-this-not-work-in-ie8.html)

Jim S 06-26-2009 01:53 PM

Why does this not work in IE8?

This page works perfectly in Firefox and Opera.
Why do the buttons do nothing in IE8?
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...tton_test.html
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Helpful person 06-26-2009 03:20 PM

Re: Why does this not work in IE8?

On Jun 26, 9:53*am, Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
> This page works perfectly in Firefox and Opera.
> Why do the buttons do nothing in IE8?http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...hotos_button_t...
> --
> Jim S
> * * * * Tyneside UK
> * * *www.jimscott.co.uk

Doesn't work in IE7 either.

www.richardfisher.com

Jim S 06-26-2009 03:22 PM

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:20:05 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person wrote:

> On Jun 26, 9:53*am, Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>> This page works perfectly in Firefox and Opera.
>> Why do the buttons do nothing in IE8?http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...hotos_button_t...
>> --
>> Jim S
>> * * * * Tyneside UK
>> * * *www.jimscott.co.uk

> Doesn't work in IE7 either.
>
> www.richardfisher.com

:o)
OK, ok it didn't work in IE
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

dorayme 06-26-2009 10:57 PM

Re: Why does this not work in IE8?

In article <1ojo72tb2lcn6.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net>,
Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> This page works perfectly in Firefox and Opera.
> Why do the buttons do nothing in IE8?
> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...tton_test.html

Your links are like:

An unusual thing to do! Try hiding the input from IE and using instead
plain text.

(btw, you have some 'funny' or extraneous characters that should not be
present in your CSS sheet. You should be able to see them in a good text
editor. You can see them if you use FF and the Web Developer extension
and go to Edit CSS.

Your

/* main table */

should be

/* main table */

Or sometimes, it can appear as

/* main table */

when coaxed out from your server and cut and pasted.

This makes a difference to some non-IE browsers in some circumstances.
Removing these allows the content to spread out and centre. The presence
of these characters makes all the content keep to the top left.)

--
dorayme

Jim S 06-27-2009 12:20 AM

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 08:57:18 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> In article <1ojo72tb2lcn6.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net>,
> Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> This page works perfectly in Firefox and Opera.
>> Why do the buttons do nothing in IE8?
>> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...tton_test.html

> Your links are like:

> An unusual thing to do! Try hiding the input from IE and using instead
> plain text.
>
> (btw, you have some 'funny' or extraneous characters that should not be
> present in your CSS sheet. You should be able to see them in a good text
> editor. You can see them if you use FF and the Web Developer extension
> and go to Edit CSS.
>
> Your
>
> /* main table */
>
> should be
>
> /* main table */
>
> Or sometimes, it can appear as
>
> /* main table */
>
> when coaxed out from your server and cut and pasted.
>
> This makes a difference to some non-IE browsers in some circumstances.
> Removing these allows the content to spread out and centre. The presence
> of these characters makes all the content keep to the top left.)

If you followed the links further from the test page you will see that
usually I use the 'buttonize' part of the stylesheet to create buttons with
links, however I was playing with trying to get the buttons to look like
the silver buttons in windows applications and I thought I had done it
until IE failed.
I don't really understand your bit about hiding ......... plain text.
If you would be kind enough to convert the line you quoted into what you
think it should be, I would be grateful.

As for the funny symbols: I got rid of them, but why they were there I
don't know. Doesn't seem to make any difference.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

dorayme 06-28-2009 08:19 AM

Re: Why does this not work in IE8?

In article <gneducaql58x$.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net>,
Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 08:57:18 +1000, dorayme wrote:
>
> > In article <1ojo72tb2lcn6.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net>,
> > Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> This page works perfectly in Firefox and Opera.
> >> Why do the buttons do nothing in IE8?
> >> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...button_test.ht
> >> ml

> > Your links are like:

> > An unusual thing to do! Try hiding the input from IE and using instead
> > plain text.

> If you followed the links further from the test page you will see that
> usually I use the 'buttonize' part of the stylesheet to create buttons with
> links, however I was playing with trying to get the buttons to look like
> the silver buttons in windows applications and I thought I had done it
> until IE failed.

I am sorry, Jim, I should really have said something like:

Rather than

value="Aerial photos of the region"></a></td>

consider:

..3em;">photos of the region</a></td>

and have an easier life.

If you want rounded corners, you can, but what a fiddle!

--
dorayme

Jim S 06-28-2009 08:31 AM

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:19:07 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> <a style="background: #fff; padding: .05em .3em .05em
> .3em;">photos of the region</a>

Sorry dorayme, but I'm obviously not making myself clear.
I can do all that button stuff with my buttonize CSS. It is the windows
type silver button I am aiming for ie. the one that 'input' gives me if
the viewer does not use IE.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

dorayme 06-28-2009 09:29 AM

Re: Why does this not work in IE8?

In article <yhgw6gsvuo6e$.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net>,
Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:19:07 +1000, dorayme wrote:
>
> > <a style="background: #fff; padding: .05em .3em .05em
> > .3em;">photos of the region</a>

> Sorry dorayme, but I'm obviously not making myself clear.
> I can do all that button stuff with my buttonize CSS. It is the windows
> type silver button I am aiming for ie. the one that 'input' gives me if
> the viewer does not use IE.

Oh, OK. They don't look so silvery to me on my browsers but if you have
CSS to match them in some way, perhaps a background gradient will give
you the effect you want? Just a thought...

--
dorayme

Jim S 06-28-2009 09:48 AM

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:29:49 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> In article <yhgw6gsvuo6e$.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net>,
> Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:19:07 +1000, dorayme wrote:
>>
>>> <a style="background: #fff; padding: .05em .3em .05em
>>> .3em;">photos of the region</a>

>> Sorry dorayme, but I'm obviously not making myself clear.
>> I can do all that button stuff with my buttonize CSS. It is the windows
>> type silver button I am aiming for ie. the one that 'input' gives me if
>> the viewer does not use IE.

> Oh, OK. They don't look so silvery to me on my browsers but if you have
> CSS to match them in some way, perhaps a background gradient will give
> you the effect you want? Just a thought...

That's the point. I don't want to 'construct' a button.
The original page
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...tton_test.html
works perfectly well in Firefox and Opera and looks how I would like but it
doesn't work in IE.
I wondered why and could I make it work in IE.
My current version of this page is
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...orephotos.html and
although I am fairly happy with it I fancy the other type of buttons and I
don't want to construct them since they already exist. I fancy I'm peeing
into the wind. <g>
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

BootNic 06-28-2009 06:09 PM

Re: Why does this not work in IE8?

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:48:07 GMT
Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in:
<1xirxixvx2qig$.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net>

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:29:49 +1000, dorayme wrote:
>
>> In article <yhgw6gsvuo6e$.dlg@ID-104726.news.individual.net>,
>> Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:19:07 +1000, dorayme wrote:

[snip]

>>> Sorry dorayme, but I'm obviously not making myself clear. I
>>> can do all that button stuff with my buttonize CSS. It is the
>>> windows type silver button I am aiming for ie. the one that
>>> 'input' gives me if the viewer does not use IE.

>> Oh, OK. They don't look so silvery to me on my browsers but
>> if you have CSS to match them in some way, perhaps a background
>> gradient will give you the effect you want? Just a thought...

> That's the point. I don't want to 'construct' a button. The
> original page
> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...orephotos_butt
> on_test.html works perfectly well in Firefox and Opera and looks
> how I would like but it doesn't work in IE.
>
> I wondered why and could I make it work in IE. My current
> version of this page is
> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_...orephotos.html
> and although I am fairly happy with it I fancy the other type of
> buttons and I don't want to construct them since they already
> exist. I fancy I'm peeing into the wind. <g>

Why would you want to wrap a input submit in a anchor rather the a form?

Using a input type submit for a link would be done in a form. Style the
form to remove the margins if you wish: form { margin: 0; }

Further if you would choose to remove the extra padding IE may add:
form a input { overflow: visible; padding: 0 0.3em; }

<form method="post" action="http://www.example.com">
"example dot com"></a>
</form>

--
BootNic Sun Jun 28, 2009 02:09 pm
Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.