Velocity Reviews

-   -   Please Help in understanding a VHDL syntax (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t688726-please-help-in-understanding-a-vhdl-syntax.html)

buddy249 06-22-2009 10:28 AM

Please Help in understanding a VHDL syntax

i'm new to Vhdl programming... i need to understand a vhdl program for completion of my miniproject..
so please help me......

entity aFifo is
generic (
DATA_WIDTH :integer := 8;
ADDR_WIDTH :integer := 4
);

what does generic mean? and where can we use that syntax?

type RAM is array (integer range <>)of std_logic_vector (DATA_WIDTH-1 downto 0);

and please explain the above statement......

debayan_p 06-23-2009 11:55 AM

ha ha ha ha......U have copied the code from asic-world.com -- Memory design section !!

Instead of doing such things 1st clear ur fundamentals. Take any good VHDL book and go through it. Study for a week. U'll undersatand most of the things !

I am telling this for ur own good.....it'll help u in future !

All t best