Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question on worth of exam 70-272 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t688331-question-on-worth-of-exam-70-272-a.html)

LeJon7881 06-18-2009 07:31 PM

Question on worth of exam 70-272

I took the 70-271 exam last year july and past it. Is it worth spending money
and passing the 70-272 exam right now. I know XP is going down this year so
my question is how much value will it have? I would love to be MCDST but will
that phase out in a couple of months for XP. Also does it expire?
Thanks
--
MCP

John R 06-19-2009 02:56 PM

Re: Question on worth of exam 70-272

"LeJon7881" <LeJon7881@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I took the 70-271 exam last year july and past it. Is it worth spending
>money
> and passing the 70-272 exam right now. I know XP is going down this year
> so
> my question is how much value will it have? I would love to be MCDST but
> will
> that phase out in a couple of months for XP. Also does it expire?
> Thanks

MCDST will not expire. It will become useless someday as more and more
enterprise environments move to Vista and Windows 7. I think however, that
MCDST will still have value for some time to come. There will always be
shops that lag behind. Plus, if you get MCDST, you'll have a short upgrade
path to MCITP:ES. It think it would show more growth on a resume to have
both MCDST and MCITP:ES, even if the shop is not using XP any longer. It
shows you've been 'in the game' longer.

John R

LeJon7881 06-19-2009 03:58 PM

Re: Question on worth of exam 70-272

That does make a lot fo sense. Thanks for your response. I will continue down
that path.
--
MCP

G Mail Account 09-10-2009 09:24 PM

Re: Question on worth of exam 70-272

It should not expire. My instructor has an MCDST cert - but he passed it on
Windows NT 4 or some old OS.

So, I was assured that Vista and Windows 7 will not deminish our certs.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] 09-10-2009 11:52 PM

"G Mail Account" <victortalkster@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> It should not expire. My instructor has an MCDST cert - but he passed it
> on Windows NT 4 or some old OS.

Correct the =MCDST= (which was awarded on Windows 2000 and Windows XP -- I
think the cert did not exist for NT4) will not expire.

> So, I was assured that Vista and Windows 7 will not deminish our certs.

However, with regards to Vista and Windows 7 you were 'assured' with a false
sense of perspective.

The entire Microsoft Certification program was revamped four years ago, and
all of those older "non-expiring" certifications (e.g. MCSA, MCSE, MCAD,
MCSD, MCDST) are now in the process of being phased out (albeit still
recognized in perpetuity as originally promised) -- and as noted by LeJon,
in the near future will no longer be achievable (as the remaining exams
supporting them are retired).

However, currently there are no announced retirement dates for the Windows
XP or Windows Server 2003 exams, and generally the retirements are announced
at least a year in advance, so I'd expect those exams to be around for at
least another 12-18 months -- but history is never a guarantee.

The new certifications, MCTS, MCITP, MCPD have entirely different standards,
and the new equivalent of the old MCDST (MCITP: Enterprise Support
Technician) may or may not have expirations associated with it as the
underlying exams (MCTS: Vista or MCTS: Windows 7 are expired).

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

John R 09-11-2009 12:33 AM

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <lawrence@news.postalias> wrote in message

> Correct the =MCDST= (which was awarded on Windows 2000 and Windows XP -- I
> think the cert did not exist for NT4) will not expire.

I don't recall MCDST ever being offered on Windows 2000, although I
*certainly* don't know everything (note, that is said with humility, not
arrogance). The only requirements I've ever seen for it are exams 271 and
272 which are both XP based. My certifications efforts however only go back
to 2004 when my company began to require certifications.

John R.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] 09-11-2009 12:55 AM

> "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <lawrence@news.postalias> wrote in message
>>
>> Correct the =MCDST= (which was awarded on Windows 2000 and Windows XP --
>> I think the cert did not exist for NT4) will not expire.
>>

> I don't recall MCDST ever being offered on Windows 2000,

And apparently it wasn't.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...cdst.aspx#tab2

My mistake. Thanks John!

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

G Mail Account 09-11-2009 08:32 PM

Re: Question on worth of exam 70-272

Thanks for that.

I was worried when Vista started to roll out; err what can one do but jump
through Microsofts hoops?

But I'd like to earn some money from all my hard work.

But one very serious logical conclusion, will we still be allowed to use out
hard-earned Logos or MCDST status in our stationaries and company adverts?

Will MS warn us not to use these anymore?

Help!

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] 09-11-2009 09:49 PM

> But one very serious logical conclusion, will we still be allowed to use
> out hard-earned Logos or MCDST status in our stationaries and company
> adverts?

Absolutely. MCDST is one of the "legacy" certifications that is
non-expiring.

Only the newer MCTS/MCITP/MCPD are carrying the thread of continuing
certification requirements.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

G Mail Account 09-12-2009 06:05 AM

Re: Question on worth of exam 70-272

Thats great to hear!

Thanks for your info.

I'll be looking at MCITP next year...then? When Win7 become meanstream?

Thanks again.