Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: booting from USB hard drives. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t688109-re-booting-from-usb-hard-drives.html)

Lodi 06-17-2009 05:09 AM

Re: booting from USB hard drives.

> fakename wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I been down this road before and I'd really like to find a product to
> solve my needs.
>
> All I want to do is boot from a USB hard drive.
>
> As I said, I have been down this road before looking for a solution.
>
> My Dell bios setup has a setting to turn on booting from USB devices.
> Next to this feature is some help notes that indicate clearly that not
> all USB devices are bootable which I tend to believe.
>
> OK..
> I have several USB memory sticks and readers, all of which I can set to
> boot from no problem.
>
> I also have several USB hard drives but when set to boot from in the
> exact same manner, they will not boot.
>
> Now, back to the bios setting which indicates that not all USB devices
> are bootable. I see this as a message that I should just buy a bootable
> USB drive or drive-case.
>
> When you go to a store to look for such a thing, the store attendants
> have no clue of such a thing.
>
> Nor do the retail packaging of many products indicate so.
>
> I'm sure they are out there.
>
> So my question is... is anyone out there booting from USB hard drives?
>
> If so, how or what kind of drive should I buy to achieve this.
>
> I have seagates, and western digitals os various models, none will boot
> from the USB port.
>
> I remind you that my memory sticks will..
>
> Please get back to me somebody.
> Thanks

I predict this thread will turn into an OS war because you haven't specified
your choice of operating system.

But what you want to do is really straightforward in Ubuntu from version
8.10 onwards. It's actually one of the menu options "USB startup disk
creator". Works with pretty much all thumb drives and usb disks.

Regards
Lodi

Lodi 06-17-2009 10:33 PM

Re: booting from USB hard drives.

> On Jun 18, 4:22*am, fakename <f...@fake.fak> wrote:
>
> More to this.... yes, I'm running XP pro, but thats not what I'm trying
> to boot to via the USB. So I don't see that thats an issue.
>
> --

Still can't help you sorry. But the reason I mentioned the operating
system is that you need to access the USB drive to install an
operating system onto it. And the only way I can see to do that is
from a running MS/Linux/Apple/etc computer. Hence my mentioning the
operating system as Ubuntu has a built-in application for just this
purpose i.e installing Ubuntu to an external USB drive.

If you're looking to purchase an external USB drive with XP/Vista/
whatever pre-installed then I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist. Happy
to be proven wrong.

As an aside, don't you need to purchase another licence if you want to
install an MS operating system onto another device. Can't see them you
letting you install onto two hard drives when you've only paid for
one.

Please keep us updated cos I'm pretty sure I haven't quite grasped the
problem and I'm curious as to how this turns out.

Regards
Lodi

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 06-17-2009 11:20 PM

Re: booting from USB hard drives.

In message <PK8_l.215430$Tp1.67370@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com>, fakename
wrote:

> ... yes, I'm running XP pro, but thats not what I'm trying
> to boot to via the USB.

What bootloader have you got on the USB drive, and what does its config look
like?

victor 06-17-2009 11:40 PM

fakename wrote:

> Sorry, I'm running XP Pro. Service pack 3

It might be a limitation of your BIOS, a workaround might be to put a
bootloader on a USB key that points to the OS on the USB HD.

~misfit~ 06-18-2009 11:40 PM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs fakename wrote:
> fakename wrote:

>>> Still can't help you sorry. But the reason I mentioned the operating
>>> system is that you need to access the USB drive to install an
>>> operating system onto it. And the only way I can see to do that is
>>> from a running MS/Linux/Apple/etc computer. Hence my mentioning the
>>> operating system as Ubuntu has a built-in application for just this
>>> purpose i.e installing Ubuntu to an external USB drive.
>>>
>>> If you're looking to purchase an external USB drive with XP/Vista/
>>> whatever pre-installed then I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist.
>>> Happy to be proven wrong.
>>>
>>> As an aside, don't you need to purchase another licence if you want
>>> to install an MS operating system onto another device. Can't see
>>> them you letting you install onto two hard drives when you've only
>>> paid for one.
>>>
>>> Please keep us updated cos I'm pretty sure I haven't quite grasped
>>> the problem and I'm curious as to how this turns out.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Lodi
>>>

>> I've tried a couple of techniques, examples... format a DOS bootable
>> drive and using my Acronis Home Image software to create a bootable
>> recovery disk. Both these techniques work if I perform the the
>> operation to a memory stick. If I perform the operation to a hard
>> drive everything executes smoothly as you would expect. Except when
>> I plug in the hard drive to the USB port it wont boot. Memory sticks
>> will. One more technique I have been doing is what I have been ultimately
>> trying to do and that is, install Open Solaris to a hard drive. I
>> plug in drive to USB port. Insert Open Solaris disk (DVD type) then
>> install to the drive plugged into the USB port. Everything excutes
>> just fine but still, it wont boot from the USB port.
>>
>> If I do the same operation but with the drive pushed into the drive
>> bay of my laptop then of course it works just fine but I dont want
>> to be ****in around with screw drivers etc each time I want to
>> quickly test a multi platform app.
>>
>> Sun has the Virtual box thing but that seems a tad unstable.
>>
>> Some people are mentioning they are booting from USB drives but are
>> installing some other software to handle botting? Is that correct? If
>> so, what happens when you dont actually have the drive in the USB
>> port? Thanks

> btw, I don't want to just partition my internal drive and setup a
> multi OS system.
>
> I don;t see why you cant just boot to the gawd drive plugged into the
> USB port. I'm sure if I could find a large enough thumb drive it would
> work. Why not hard drive?

I haven't tried this myself and don't have a spare HDD that I can throw in
an external enclosure right now to try it. However, I'm following the thread
with interest. Good luck, hopefully you can resolve it and let us know how
you did it.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 06-19-2009 05:47 AM

Re: booting from USB hard drives.

In message <9ms_l.151690$fo6.98832@en-nntp-09.dc1.easynews.com>, fakename
wrote:

> Both these techniques work if I perform the the operation
> to a memory stick.

Are you using a Memory Stick reader as well? I thought you were using USB
drives.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 06-19-2009 05:47 AM

Re: booting from USB hard drives.

In message <Bws_l.168111$Xo1.78414@en-nntp-07.dc1.easynews.com>, fakename
wrote:

> Why not hard drive?

Wrong bootloader?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 06-19-2009 09:51 PM

Re: booting from USB hard drives.

In message <JPP_l.150392$2p1.87537@en-nntp-08.dc1.easynews.com>, fakename
wrote:

> it works with memory sticks of all kinds.

How many kinds are there? I thought only Sony made Memory Sticks.

Lodi 06-19-2009 09:59 PM

Re: booting from USB hard drives.

> fakename wrote:

> I'm wanting to use a hard drive. I only explain the use of a memory
> stick for explanation and comparison reasons... ie.. it works with
> memory sticks of all kinds. I want to do the same with hard drive.

Don't suppose it's something as simple as needing a usb y-cable?

http://tinyurl.com/mfjq5j

Lodi

Gordon 06-20-2009 05:39 AM

On 2009-06-19, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <JPP_l.150392$2p1.87537@en-nntp-08.dc1.easynews.com>, fakename
> wrote:
>
>> it works with memory sticks of all kinds.

> How many kinds are there? I thought only Sony made Memory Sticks.

Really, Lawerence. Try the spirit of the posting, and not the need to be
somewhat "silly". At the least put a :-) in there eh?