Velocity Reviews

-   -   Do not install update: Ralink Technology Corp. - Network - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t687884-do-not-install-update-ralink-technology-corp-network-linksys-wireless-g-pci-adapter.html)

Egbert Nierop 06-15-2009 06:38 AM

Do not install update: Ralink Technology Corp. - Network - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

(Posted because of indexing, it might help others, and possibly a MS Support
will mark this driver as BAD)

Windows Update offers the following update.
"Ralink Technology Corp. - Network - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

Download size: 283 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

DriverUpdate: Ralink Technology Corp. Network software update released in
November, 2008

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20248369"

Warning: Do NOT install this update for Windows Vista x64 edition.
It will cause reproducable lockups of the entire machine.
I've been doing hardware replacements, reactivated windows etc for months,
and now the machine is stable again, but _not_ until I found out the
following:

The OLDER version of this driver (the one from 2006), did not cause
'lockups' of windows.

David B. 06-15-2009 03:18 PM

Re: Do not install update: Ralink Technology Corp. - Network - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

The general recommendation is to NEVER install drivers from Windows Update,
always use the device mfg's driver, your results are not at all uncommon.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 06-15-2009 05:12 PM

Re: Do not install update: Ralink Technology Corp. - Network - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

Egbert Nierop <egbert_nierop@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> (Posted because of indexing, it might help others, and possibly a MS
> Support will mark this driver as BAD)
>
> Windows Update offers the following update.
> "Ralink Technology Corp. - Network - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
>
> Download size: 283 KB
>
> You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> DriverUpdate: Ralink Technology Corp. Network software update
> released in November, 2008
>
> More information:
> http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20248369"
>
> Warning: Do NOT install this update for Windows Vista x64 edition.
> It will cause reproducable lockups of the entire machine.
> I've been doing hardware replacements, reactivated windows etc for
> months, and now the machine is stable again, but _not_ until I found
> out the following:
>
> The OLDER version of this driver (the one from 2006), did not cause
> 'lockups' of windows.

Thanks for posting this, but don't install any device drivers during
Windows/Microsoft update or via SUS/WSUS. Always get the device drivers
directly from the hardware manufacturer.