Velocity Reviews

-   -   Enlarge Digital Photos (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t687817-enlarge-digital-photos.html)

thankyou 06-14-2009 01:01 PM

Enlarge Digital Photos

Hello, Thanks for your help.

When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
ratio?

I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.

Thanks John

ray 06-14-2009 02:51 PM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:

> Hello, Thanks for your help.
>
> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect ratio?
>

> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
>
> Thanks John

Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?

Marvin 06-14-2009 02:53 PM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

thankyou wrote:
> Hello, Thanks for your help.
>
> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
> ratio?
>

> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
>
> Thanks John

Why limit yourself by preserving the aspect ratio? Cropping
often improves a photo. As to the ratio on a poster, it
depends on whether or not you have to allow for borders, and
- if so - what width the borders are.

daveFaktor 06-14-2009 09:01 PM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

thankyou wrote:
> Hello, Thanks for your help.
>
> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
> ratio?
>

> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
>
> Thanks John

Typically the aspect ratio of a portrait is 4:3
A Poster however - Like movie posters have no established aspect ratio.
I'd suggest you use your eye and decide if the scene you intend to
depict is suited to a longer or shorter looking poster. 3:2 is the
aspect ratio Leica decided would suit landscapes (holiday shots)

My personal preference is the above ratios, depending on the picture
being landscape or portrait orientation.

Enlargements from P&S digital with relative low resolution may benefit
from using all the frame. This would limit your final print to 4:3 or
near enough.

Eric Stevens 06-14-2009 10:05 PM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700 (PDT), thankyou
<zzhereiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello, Thanks for your help.
>
>When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
>ratio?
>

>I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
>
>Thanks John

Try Super A3, 13" x 19". By the time you leave a margin they are just
about what you need.

Eric Stevens

thankyou 06-15-2009 12:07 AM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I was looking to learn "how to" figure it out. You get pixels,
inches, digital cameras files that dont' exactly fit a 6x4 print and
then the consumer prining stores the sell posters photos in fixed
sized.

I have PS, but I'm a video guy mostly and have this ideal to blow up
my RAW (8 mb) Canon files.

With my limited messing with photos experience, I wanted to send the
files over to a Walmart or Office max, but was concerned that the
photos would not "fit" their fixed poster sizes.

Also, working with Ifanview and CanonDPP, the conversion to .jpg makes
the files "too small" for a "poster" blow up.

I'd appreciate some help if you all don't mind.

Regards,
Jon

Lloyd W. 06-15-2009 12:52 AM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

"ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:
>
>> Hello, Thanks for your help.
>>
>> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect ratio?
>>

>> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
>>
>> Thanks John

> Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?

he asked for help not an insult, you asshole

ray 06-15-2009 01:13 AM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:52:30 -0400, Lloyd W. wrote:

> "ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:01:16 -0700, thankyou wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
>>> ratio?
>>>

>>> I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.
>>>
>>> Thanks John

>> Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?

> he asked for help not an insult, you asshole

Ignoring the profanity, I thought the answer was quite self evident.

Jürgen Exner 06-15-2009 01:26 AM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

thankyou <zzhereiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>With my limited messing with photos experience, I wanted to send the
>files over to a Walmart or Office max, but was concerned that the
>photos would not "fit" their fixed poster sizes.

Well, sensors come in different aspect ratios and therefore naturally
there are always photos that "don't fit" the standard paper. Happens all
the time and stores deal with it by automatically cropping.

If you want to avoid the store randomly cropping a part that might be
important to you then your only solution is to ask the store (the one
store you are going to!!!) what aspect ratio they are using and do the
cropping yourself in advance.

>Also, working with Ifanview and CanonDPP, the conversion to .jpg makes
>the files "too small" for a "poster" blow up.

Well, that's the purpose of JPEG. It reduces the file size at the cost
of picture quality. However there are many different JPEG compression
levels. Just choose the lowest possible compression (=highest quality)
and there should be no perceptible loss. Of course this is assuming that
the technical quality of the original picture was good enough for a big
enlargement.
Or choose a format that does lossless compression.

jue

Eric Stevens 06-15-2009 05:06 AM

Re: Enlarge Digital Photos

On 15 Jun 2009 01:13:32 GMT, ray <ray@zianet.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:52:30 -0400, Lloyd W. wrote:
>
>> "ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message

>>> Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?

>> he asked for help not an insult, you asshole

>Ignoring the profanity, I thought the answer was quite self evident.

You didn't think very far through the question. I took him to mean
what size 'posters' preserve the aspect ratio. I gave him an
informative answer, while you ... ?

Eric Stevens