Velocity Reviews

-   Hardware (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f5-hardware.html)
-   -   problems formatting hard drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t687151-problems-formatting-hard-drive.html)

jess75luv 06-08-2009 05:12 PM

problems formatting hard drive

Help:-(

I am trying to reformat my main drive due to what I believe is a virus issue. I am running Windows XP. First I went to Manage disks and reformatted the my G Drive which is a smaller older drive I keep persoanl stuff on the C drive is my main drive and has business stuff on it. G drive reformatted with no issues. When I try to click the blue bar on the C drive to delete the partition that option is greyed out and I cannot access it. Okay, so I tried reformatting from the XP disk. It goes brings the blue screen up, I delete the partition, run the formatting (not the NTFS quick), andit reloads XP. The computer starts up and everything looks the same. I restart it on the prompt and still the same drive. ALl the old programs and files are still there. What the heck am I doing wrong? Keep in mind, I am sort of computer savvy (like I changed the BIOS settings to get it to boot from the cd drive) but am by no means a computer technician. Any advice would be great!!

ncwayneh 06-10-2009 02:24 PM

have had similiar experience with reformatting. If the drive C is NTFS sometimes telling new installation to format using FAT will make you think all is good untill it finishes and you find no change. See if drive is NTFS. IF yes then reformat NTFS using intall disk. You need other program to reformat from NTFS back to FAT. Hope this helps

JohnnyBoyClub 05-26-2010 03:38 PM

To format it you should place your bootable disk in your cd drive and from there if you said you are using xp will be easy to format it and install a new fresh copy of windows . I suggest backing up your data with a free online backup software like Dmailer Backup Software and after that make a full format for better functionality.

Regards,