Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: UPS goes crazy for a few minutes every night at 11pm (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t686143-re-ups-goes-crazy-for-a-few-minutes-every-night-at-11pm.html)

steve 05-31-2009 12:46 AM

On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:02:45 +1200, ofn01 wrote:

> I have two UPS's - both APC and both bought brand new. THe first one, a
> Smart UPS model I've had for quite a while with no issues.
>
> The second, I bought just this week seems to have the wierdest quirk.
>
> Every night at 11pm it starts flicking between battery and power for
> about 5 minutes.
>
> I have tried it on two different sockets and still get the same issue.
>
> Any idea what could cause this?
>
> APC have suggested lowering the sensitivity but lowering it from the
> factory default is not recommended for computer use in the manual?

Although it's almost certainly ripple control, as others have mentioned,
there is another possibility. There are plenty of places which assume
exactly 50Hz for timing purposes. Is the power company is a few cycles
behind, it speecs things up a bit to ensure exactly the right number of
cycles per day so the clocks are right. This may also trip UPSes if it's
way out.

Well, this is true of the UK, anyway: don't see why it'd be different
here.

Steve

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-31-2009 02:07 AM

In message <gvsk0o$9j3$2@lust.ihug.co.nz>, steve wrote:

> There are plenty of places which assume exactly 50Hz for timing purposes.
> Is the power company is a few cycles behind, it speecs things up a bit to
> ensure exactly the right number of cycles per day so the clocks are right.

I've never heard of anybody stupid enough to make such an assumption. Cheap
quartz-crystal oscillators have only been available for, how long is it,
half a century ...

Richard 05-31-2009 03:47 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <gvsk0o$9j3$2@lust.ihug.co.nz>, steve wrote:
>
>> There are plenty of places which assume exactly 50Hz for timing purposes.
>> Is the power company is a few cycles behind, it speecs things up a bit to
>> ensure exactly the right number of cycles per day so the clocks are right.

> I've never heard of anybody stupid enough to make such an assumption. Cheap
> quartz-crystal oscillators have only been available for, how long is it,
> half a century ...

Almost all clock radios count cycles - cheaper then an accurate quartz
oscilator to just use one of the lines from the transformer to count.

Also mains powered analog clocks have also done this for years and years.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-31-2009 04:31 AM

In message <gvsuic$4n9$2@news.albasani.net>, Richard wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <gvsk0o$9j3$2@lust.ihug.co.nz>, steve wrote:
>>
>>> There are plenty of places which assume exactly 50Hz for timing
>>> purposes. Is the power company is a few cycles behind, it speecs things
>>> up a bit to ensure exactly the right number of cycles per day so the
>>> clocks are right.

>> I've never heard of anybody stupid enough to make such an assumption.
>> Cheap quartz-crystal oscillators have only been available for, how long
>> is it, half a century ...

> Almost all clock radios count cycles - cheaper then an accurate quartz
> oscilator to just use one of the lines from the transformer to count.

Bit difficult to do that on batteries, or through a DC adaptor.

> Also mains powered analog clocks have also done this for years and years.

But since when have the power companies been obligated to provide an
accurate frequency reference?

Richard 05-31-2009 04:36 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <gvsuic$4n9$2@news.albasani.net>, Richard wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> I've never heard of anybody stupid enough to make such an assumption.
>>> Cheap quartz-crystal oscillators have only been available for, how long
>>> is it, half a century ...

>> Almost all clock radios count cycles - cheaper then an accurate quartz
>> oscilator to just use one of the lines from the transformer to count.

> Bit difficult to do that on batteries, or through a DC adaptor.

Good thing that most cheap clock radios are mains powered then.

>> Also mains powered analog clocks have also done this for years and years.

> But since when have the power companies been obligated to provide an
> accurate frequency reference?

Its part of the standards for the power supplied.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-31-2009 07:11 AM

In message <gvt1ee$8d7$1@news.albasani.net>, Richard wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> But since when have the power companies been obligated to provide an
>> accurate frequency reference?

> Its part of the standards for the power supplied.

Could you cite a site on which you sighted this ... shite?

greg 05-31-2009 07:27 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> But since when have the power companies been obligated to provide an
> accurate frequency reference?

It's in the electrical regulations

greg 05-31-2009 07:40 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <gvt1ee$8d7$1@news.albasani.net>, Richard wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> But since when have the power companies been obligated to provide an
>>> accurate frequency reference?

>> Its part of the standards for the power supplied.

> Could you cite a site on which you sighted this ... shite?

www.standards.co.nz

Electricity Regulations 1997,

55 Frequency
(1) The frequency of electricity supplied by any person must be
maintained within 1.5% of 50 hertz, except for momentary
fluctuations.

sounds like your the one full of shite now!!

Nicolaas Hawkins 05-31-2009 08:25 AM

Re: UPS goes crazy for a few minutes every night at 11pm

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:40:01 +1200, greg <gregmcc@ihug.co.nz> wrote in

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Its part of the standards for the power supplied.

>> Could you cite a site on which you sighted this ... shite?
>>

> www.standards.co.nz
>
> Electricity Regulations 1997,
>
> 55 Frequency
> (1) The frequency of electricity supplied by any person must be
> maintained within 1.5% of 50 hertz, except for momentary
> fluctuations.
>
> sounds like your the one full of shite now!!

Hardly news. 'twas ever thus.

--
- Nicolaas

greg 05-31-2009 08:32 AM

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:40:01 +1200, greg <gregmcc@ihug.co.nz> wrote in
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Could you cite a site on which you sighted this ... shite?
>>>

>> www.standards.co.nz
>>
>> Electricity Regulations 1997,
>>
>> 55 Frequency
>> (1) The frequency of electricity supplied by any person must be
>> maintained within 1.5% of 50 hertz, except for momentary
>> fluctuations.
>>
>> sounds like your the one full of shite now!!

> Hardly news. 'twas ever thus.

gotta agree, wouldn't ever want to be his doctor, imagine the shite
explosion when the dr. sticks him with a needle!!