Velocity Reviews

-   -   Outlook Express (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t685389-outlook-express.html)

Peter Turtill 05-24-2009 11:36 AM

Outlook Express

When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
please?
pete

rf 05-24-2009 12:08 PM

Re: Outlook Express

Peter Turtill wrote:
> When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
> by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
> by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
> but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
> please?
> pete

Press the insert key.

Peter Turtill 05-24-2009 01:17 PM

Re: Outlook Express

On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:49:49 +0100, Martin Jay
<martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:36:22 +0100, Peter Turtill <turtill@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
>>by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
>>by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
>>but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
>>please?

>Press the Insert key.
>
>It's an age old problem. If you accidentally hit the Insert key
>windows toggles into overwrite mode.

Yep that fixed it thank you.

pete
http://www.oss.org.uk

Peter Turtill 05-24-2009 01:18 PM

Re: Outlook Express

On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:08:53 GMT, "rf" <rf@z.invalid> wrote:

>Peter Turtill wrote:
>> When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
>> by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
>> by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
>> but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
>> please?
>> pete

>Press the insert key.

Done. Fixed. Many thanks.

pete
http://www.oss.org.uk

Ian Jackson 05-24-2009 01:22 PM

Re: Outlook Express

In message <362.1243169399.20090524@spam-free.org.uk>, Martin Jay
<martin@spam-free.org.uk> writes
>On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:36:22 +0100, Peter Turtill <turtill@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
>>by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
>>by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
>>but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
>>please?

>Press the Insert key.
>
>It's an age old problem. If you accidentally hit the Insert key
>windows toggles into overwrite mode.

I find that, occasionally, this seems to happen spontaneously
(regardless of what you're typing). It normally waits for you to be
concentrating on the keyboard, and not checking what you have typed.

If you're typing using Word, Open Office and various other things,
there's an 'information bar' (which appears above the task bar) at the
bottom of the screen, and a little field shows 'OVR' (Word) or
INSRT/OVER (OO) depending on whether you've hit the 'Insert' key or not.
--
Ian

Mr Pounder 05-25-2009 01:29 PM

Re: Outlook Express

"nobody >" <usenetharvested@aol.com> wrote in message
news:VemdnSZzrqHiEoTXnZ2dnUVZ_gpi4p2d@supernews.co m...
> Peter Turtill wrote:
>> When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
>> by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
>> by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
>> but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
>> please?
>> pete

> Hit the "insert" key just before correction.

Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.

Steve

Ian Jackson 05-25-2009 03:16 PM

Re: Outlook Express

In message <E2xSl.33676$OO7.23514@text.news.virginmedia.com >, Mr Pounder
<MrPounder@rationalthought.com> writes

>"nobody >" <usenetharvested@aol.com> wrote in message
>news:VemdnSZzrqHiEoTXnZ2dnUVZ_gpi4p2d@supernews.c om...
>> Peter Turtill wrote:
>>> When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
>>> by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
>>> by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
>>> but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
>>> please?
>>> pete

>> Hit the "insert" key just before correction.

>Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
>Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.

By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc
etc), until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all
those you don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it
when all that is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?
--
Ian

Mr Pounder 05-25-2009 04:45 PM

Re: Outlook Express

"Ian Jackson" <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <E2xSl.33676$OO7.23514@text.news.virginmedia.com >, Mr Pounder
> <MrPounder@rationalthought.com> writes
>>
>>"nobody >" <usenetharvested@aol.com> wrote in message
>>news:VemdnSZzrqHiEoTXnZ2dnUVZ_gpi4p2d@supernews. com...
>>>
>>> Hit the "insert" key just before correction.

>>Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
>>Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.
>>

> By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc etc),
> until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all those you
> don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it when all that
> is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?
> --
> Ian

The Insert key does not always work in my experience.
Saving the work to Drafts always works.

Steve

Ian Jackson 05-25-2009 05:57 PM

Re: Outlook Express

In message <jWzSl.33761$OO7.5391@text.news.virginmedia.com> , Mr Pounder
<MrPounder@rationalthought.com> writes

>"Ian Jackson" <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <E2xSl.33676$OO7.23514@text.news.virginmedia.com >, Mr Pounder
>> <MrPounder@rationalthought.com> writes
>>>
>>>"nobody >" <usenetharvested@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>news:VemdnSZzrqHiEoTXnZ2dnUVZ_gpi4p2d@supernews .com...

>>>Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
>>>Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.
>>>

>> By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc etc),
>> until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all those you
>> don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it when all that
>> is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?
>> --
>> Ian

>The Insert key does not always work in my experience.
>Saving the work to Drafts always works.

Well, THAT is weird!
--
Ian

Mr Pounder 05-26-2009 05:14 PM

Re: Outlook Express

> In message <jWzSl.33761$OO7.5391@text.news.virginmedia.com> , Mr Pounder
> <MrPounder@rationalthought.com> writes
>>
>>"Ian Jackson" <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> In message <E2xSl.33676$OO7.23514@text.news.virginmedia.com >, Mr Pounder
>>> <MrPounder@rationalthought.com> writes

>>> By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc
>>> etc),
>>> until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all those
>>> you
>>> don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it when all
>>> that
>>> is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?
>>> --
>>> Ian

>>The Insert key does not always work in my experience.
>>Saving the work to Drafts always works.
>>

> Well, THAT is weird!
> --
> Ian

Yes it is, but it works.
I have found the problem to be worse when replying to long threads.

Steve