Velocity Reviews

-   -   little help to create a network with Voip in different cities (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t685373-little-help-to-create-a-network-with-voip-in-different-cities.html)

robert 05-24-2009 06:03 AM

little help to create a network with Voip in different cities

I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
communicate among each others within the same building or with the
intern in the other city.

Is it possible to create this system?

How?

Henkie Penkie 05-24-2009 07:21 AM

Re: little help to create a network with Voip in different cities

Have a look at pbxinaflash.com. Everything you want is easily doable.

Gordon Henderson 05-24-2009 08:03 AM

Re: little help to create a network with Voip in different cities

In article <d1542b6b-361c-4321-9f24-ca3607bbbafb@j18g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
robert <centro.gamma@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
>a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
>When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
>the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
>John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
>communicate among each others within the same building or with the
>intern in the other city.
>
>Is it possible to create this system?

Yes.

>How?

Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
(or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

If going down the home build route then look for asterisk and it's
derivatives - eg. trixbox, pbxinaflash and others although I'm not sure
how easy it might to be modify those to your need. Asterisk runs on a
PC under Linux, and is itself hugely customisable - the free front-ends
may not offer the flexability they need though, so best to check first.

Things to consider - what (if any) PSTN connections do you have at each
site? Asterisk can handle these easily with appropriate interface cards,
and the anticipated number of concurrent calls between each site - this
will be tied to the bandwidth avalable. A good quality ISP at each site
is essentail too.

Gordon

Robert 05-24-2009 07:38 PM

On May 24, 1:03*am, Gordon Henderson <gordon+use...@drogon.net> wrote:
> In article <d1542b6b-361c-4321-9f24-ca3607bbb...@j18g2000prm.googlegroups..com>,

CUT

> >How?

> Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
> (or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

CUT

> Gordon

Hi Gordon,
thanks for your help.

Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?

Gordon Henderson 05-24-2009 09:22 PM

Re: little help to create a network with Voip in different cities

In article <a73ed181-6e22-47a0-8307-e5ee3297b942@y6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Robert <centro.gamma@gmail.com> wrote:
>On May 24, 1:03*am, Gordon Henderson <gordon+use...@drogon.net> wrote:
>> In article

><d1542b6b-361c-4321-9f24-ca3607bbb...@j18g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
>
>CUT
>>
>> >How?

>> Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
>> (or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

>CUT
>
>> Gordon

>Hi Gordon,
>thanks for your help.
>
>Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?

Not really. Most software PBXs (Asterisk, 3CX, others?) all need a PC
to run.

You can get very low-power PCs though - my standard PC based PBX platform
consumes 15 watts, (it's not a standard PC though, but a low-power
"industrial" type, fanless and diskless, and I'm currently evaluating
a new platform which only needs a meagre 5 watts when running flat-out!

http://unicorn.drogon.net/stuff/power.jpg

So if you know what you're doing on the PC side, there are power savings
to be made.

Desk phones are going to suck from 3 to 5 watts too, depending on model.

Actually, there is a third option I didn't mention - use a virtual
or hosted PBX system. Just have the phones in each site, all part of
one big virtual VoIP based PBX. No (easy) way to interface to existing
PSTN lines though, and your broadband connections really do need to be
top-notch. Maybe less features than having your own PBXs in each location
though, depending on who's virtual service you use.

Gordon

Graham. 05-25-2009 09:00 AM

Re: little help to create a network with Voip in different cities

CUT

> >How?

> Two main choices - one buy a system ready made which does what you need
> (or can be customied at install time), or build it yourself.

CUT

> Gordon

Hi Gordon,
thanks for your help.

Is there any hardware that i can use instead of keeping a PC on 24/7?

Don't think about it as a PC, think about it as you would any phone
system.
I ran an "Asterisk at Home" box for a year it just sat in the corner with
no monitor, keyboard or mouse connected because all administration
is done remotely via its web interface, and occasionally via an SSH
client if one needs to get to its command-line console.
In my case I did stop using it because I couldn't really justify the running
cost, but I was only using it for fun, and a self-training aid.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

TheFug@domain.invalid 05-25-2009 07:35 PM

robert schreef:
> I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
> a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
> When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
> the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
> John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
> communicate among each others within the same building or with the
> intern in the other city.
>
> Is it possible to create this system?
>
> How?

Looks like a job for MySipSwitch ! :)

For free, and easy to program via Ruby dialplan, (see the site's forum)

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Hongtian 05-26-2009 08:33 AM

On 24 May, 14:03, robert <centro.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
> a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
> When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
> the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
> John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
> communicate among each others within the same building or with the
> intern in the other city.
>
> Is it possible to create this system?
>
> How?

In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

I think it is very easy to establish a VOIP network with
miniSipServer. And in its official website, there is a simple document
to guide you how to setup IPPBX step by step.

Please visit http://www.myvoipapp.com for details.

Hope it can help you and good luck.

Desk Rabbit 05-26-2009 04:54 PM

Hongtian wrote:
> On 24 May, 14:03, robert <centro.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
>> a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
>> When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
>> the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
>> John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
>> communicate among each others within the same building or with the
>> intern in the other city.
>>
>> Is it possible to create this system?
>>
>> How?

> In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
> suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

Windows based PBX? <shudder>

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Microsoft person and run many, many servers
but I would never run a PBX on a windows platform. I run my business PBX
on a linux box running Asterisk. That's all it does, and that's all it
will ever be asked to do so reliability has matched that of a commercial PBX

[root@pbx ~]# uptime
17:55:05 up 350 days, 6:53, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Gordon Henderson 05-26-2009 09:07 PM

Re: little help to create a network with Voip in different cities

In article <gvh74q$mnt$1@deskrabbit.motzarella.org>,
Desk Rabbit <me@example.com> wrote:
>Hongtian wrote:
>> On 24 May, 14:03, robert <centro.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have to create a VOIP network between three offices, each located in
>>> a different city. In each office there are 12 users.
>>> When a customer calls, a PBX should answer automatically then transfer
>>> the call according to the number chosen by the customer (Ex: 1 for
>>> John, 2 for Mike...). I also need the interns to be able to
>>> communicate among each others within the same building or with the
>>> intern in the other city.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to create this system?
>>>
>>> How?

>> In your offices, there are some windows system, right? I would like to
>> suggest miniSipServer which is a IPPBX for windows.

>Windows based PBX? <shudder>

I know. Strange but true.

The 3CX people are really bashing the Linux prople too -

http://www.3cx.com/news/softswitch-advantages.html

worrying.

>Don't get me wrong, I'm a Microsoft person and run many, many servers
>but I would never run a PBX on a windows platform. I run my business PBX
>on a linux box running Asterisk. That's all it does, and that's all it
>will ever be asked to do so reliability has matched that of a commercial PBX

You're lucky - I've experienced corp-ratism at it's worst. If it's not
Microsoft, it's not going through the door..

>[root@pbx ~]# uptime
> 17:55:05 up 350 days, 6:53, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Not a PBX, but:

22:06:19 up 1315 days, 8:08, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

;-)

Gordon