Velocity Reviews

-   -   Disabling MSN Messenger (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t685346-disabling-msn-messenger.html)

Alasdair 05-23-2009 11:33 PM

Disabling MSN Messenger

I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?

--
Alasdair.

Evan Platt 05-23-2009 11:57 PM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

On Sun, 24 May 2009 00:33:42 +0100, Alasdair <mail@bobaxter.coo.uk>
wrote:

>I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
>I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
>on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?

Google disable msn messenger startup.

richard 05-24-2009 12:45 AM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

wrote:

>I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
>I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
>on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?

rename the folder.
windows assumes that if it cant find the folder, the file does not
exist.

Evan Platt 05-24-2009 01:05 AM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

On Sat, 23 May 2009 20:45:19 -0400, richard <member@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>rename the folder.

What folder?

>windows assumes that if it cant find the folder, the file does not
>exist.

Huh?

This is chucktard type advice. This will cause a error every time
Windows boots up.

Bad advice.

Dan C 05-24-2009 01:08 AM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

On Sun, 24 May 2009 00:33:42 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

> I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP. I
> find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch on my
> computer. How do I stop this happening please?

The only way to be sure is to format your hard drive.

Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 05-24-2009 01:12 AM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

richard wrote:

> Alasdair <mail@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote:
>> I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows
>> XP. I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I
>> switch on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?

> rename the folder.
> windows assumes that if it cant find the folder, the file does not
> exist.

Well, that's your usual quality of advice. St00pid.

Alasdair, see this:
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...-start-up.html
and this:
http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

--
-bts

Marie-Jeanne 05-24-2009 01:30 AM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

"Alasdair" <mail@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote in message
>I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
> I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
> on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

Open MSN Messenger>>> "Tools">>> "Options">>>"General">>> Untick
"Automatically run Windows Messenger when I log on Windows">>"OK"

richard 05-24-2009 01:47 AM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

On Sat, 23 May 2009 18:05:51 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 May 2009 20:45:19 -0400, richard <member@newsguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>rename the folder.

>What folder?
>
>>windows assumes that if it cant find the folder, the file does not
>>exist.

>Huh?
>
>This is chucktard type advice. This will cause a error every time
>Windows boots up.
>
>Bad advice.

Try it some time stoopid.
messenger is not automatically started on boot up.

richard 05-24-2009 01:48 AM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

On Sat, 23 May 2009 18:30:41 -0700, "Marie-Jeanne" <godot29@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>"Alasdair" <mail@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote in message
>news:fp1h15h5bf2ndalk00kqqe311cdh6aevfi@4ax.com.. .
>>I have just installed MSN Messenger on my computer running Windows XP.
>> I find that MSN Messenger fires up automatically every time I switch
>> on my computer. How do I stop this happening please?
>>
>> --
>> Alasdair.

>Open MSN Messenger>>> "Tools">>> "Options">>>"General">>> Untick
>"Automatically run Windows Messenger when I log on Windows">>"OK"

Thanks for slapping the great and mighty Evan Platt

Evan Platt 05-24-2009 02:02 AM

Re: Disabling MSN Messenger

On Sat, 23 May 2009 21:47:00 -0400, richard <member@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>Try it some time stoopid.

Try what?

>messenger is not automatically started on boot up.

It is if you enable it to be. Which it is on the OP's computer, which
the OP clearly stated.

You really are a idiot.