Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t685201-re-micoshaft-recommends-linux.html)

Simon Finnigan 05-22-2009 11:06 AM

"7" <website_has_email@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote in message
news:8%nRl.32158$OO7.3871@text.news.virginmedia.co m...
> Micoshaft recommends Linux
> --------------------------
>
> In an abject failure of marketing, Micoshaft
> recommends Linux because PISTA has been dissed
> by the likes of Gartner$ because its crap
> and there are currently no offering of micoshaft
> recommended OSen exists.
>
> If you see any recommended for PISTA dishonest paid for 'advert'
> on laptops and computers, then its a marketing
> lie and false advertising as micoshaft has paid Gartner$
> and all its marketing shills to diss PISTA.
>
> WINDUMMY OSen 7 is just PISTA with a paint job and not
> much better than PISTA. So in reality, micoshfat
> has no OSen to sell for years to come.
>
> So install Ubuntu 9.04 - it takes only 9 to 20 minutes
> to install on decent PCs.
>
> On netbooks like Asus EEE, you could have it running
> with 3D translucent desktops.

Really, nobody cares about Linux zealots with nothing productive to say. If
you`re happy with an OS that hardly anyone else uses, then that`s fine. For
those of us who want a mainstream OS, that runs the gaems and software we
want to use, we`ll stick with Windows.

But thanks for posting your gibberish about PISTA, it made me realise just
how annoying 14 year old children are when they decide to go fan-boy.

Rob Morley 05-22-2009 02:20 PM

Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

On Fri, 22 May 2009 12:06:44 +0100
"Simon Finnigan" <simonfinnigan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Really, nobody cares about Linux zealots with nothing productive to
> say.

How do you feel about trolls?

Mike Tomlinson 05-22-2009 04:45 PM

Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

In article <77nfa4F1ig7leU1@mid.individual.net>, Simon Finnigan
<simonfinnigan@hotmail.com> writes

>Really, nobody cares about Linux zealots with nothing productive to say. If
>you`re happy with an OS that hardly anyone else uses, then that`s fine.

I don't see it quite like that. An OS is a tool to get a job done. If
one picks the correct tool for the job, there's no need for any fanboi-
ism or mindless advocacy.

I use Linux at work and Windows at home. Each has its own strengths and
weaknesses. I tend to be anti-M$ because of their shonky marketing and
restrictive business practices, not because of their products. *

Mike

* with the exception of Vista, which truly is an abortion. I'll never
use it personally but good luck to those that get on OK with it.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

JEDIDIAH 05-22-2009 06:02 PM

On 2009-05-22, Mike Tomlinson <mike@jasper.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <77nfa4F1ig7leU1@mid.individual.net>, Simon Finnigan
><simonfinnigan@hotmail.com> writes
>
>>Really, nobody cares about Linux zealots with nothing productive to say. If
>>you`re happy with an OS that hardly anyone else uses, then that`s fine.

> I don't see it quite like that. An OS is a tool to get a job done. If
> one picks the correct tool for the job, there's no need for any fanboi-
> ism or mindless advocacy.
>
> I use Linux at work and Windows at home. Each has its own strengths and
> weaknesses. I tend to be anti-M$ because of their shonky marketing and
> restrictive business practices, not because of their products. *

I tend to be anti-MS because their products are crap and on occasion
even tend to be a menace to others (that don't use their product).

It also doesn't help that Microsoft seeks to make it impossible for me
to avoid them.

I real market leader is something I am free to ignore.

> Mike
>
> * with the exception of Vista, which truly is an abortion. I'll never
> use it personally but good luck to those that get on OK with it.

--
"Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
the idea will move the industry forward, they ask, |||

-- Bill Gates

Simon Finnigan 05-23-2009 10:48 AM

"Mike Tomlinson" <mike@jasper.org.uk> wrote in message
> In article <77nfa4F1ig7leU1@mid.individual.net>, Simon Finnigan
> <simonfinnigan@hotmail.com> writes
>
>>Really, nobody cares about Linux zealots with nothing productive to say.
>>If
>>you`re happy with an OS that hardly anyone else uses, then that`s fine.

> I don't see it quite like that. An OS is a tool to get a job done. If
> one picks the correct tool for the job, there's no need for any fanboi-
> ism or mindless advocacy.

it is strange that people who get hung up on different OS`s al seem to have
the same ideas about their product of choice. E.g. Linux zealots claiming
that their OS is utterly secure, despite it having large numbers of security
holes. Vista does everything I want a machine to do, is easier to support
than any of the alternatives, hence its an easy choice.

> I use Linux at work and Windows at home. Each has its own strengths and
> weaknesses. I tend to be anti-M$ because of their shonky marketing and
> restrictive business practices, not because of their products. *

I`ve always found Linux to be slower on the same hardware, and a pain to do
anything with.

> * with the exception of Vista, which truly is an abortion. I'll never
> use it personally but good luck to those that get on OK with it.

I personally don`t mind Vista. it`s not perfect, but I`ve not replaced it
with anything else on any of my machines that came with it.

Andrew Halliwell 05-23-2009 11:13 AM

Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Simon Finnigan <simonfinnigan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> it is strange that people who get hung up on different OS`s al seem to have
> the same ideas about their product of choice. E.g. Linux zealots claiming
> that their OS is utterly secure,

No-one with clue ever claimed that.
Only the wintrolls use that argument as a form of attack.
Linux is fort knox compared to the windows wet paper bag though.

> despite it having large numbers of security
> holes.

Most of which are plugged in less than a month. Again, unlike windows where
some have remained for years.

> Vista does everything I want a machine to do, is easier to support
> than any of the alternatives, hence its an easy choice.

It's a dog. Even microsoft admits it's a failure. If you like it then
booyaaa, so what? who cares? Good for you.
What you're crossposting to COLA for slagging off linux users is a different
matter.

| in |good to you so far... |

Simon Finnigan 05-23-2009 01:21 PM

"Andrew Halliwell" <spike1@ponder.sky.com> wrote in message
> Simon Finnigan <simonfinnigan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> it is strange that people who get hung up on different OS`s al seem to
>> have
>> the same ideas about their product of choice. E.g. Linux zealots
>> claiming
>> that their OS is utterly secure,

> No-one with clue ever claimed that.
> Only the wintrolls use that argument as a form of attack.
> Linux is fort knox compared to the windows wet paper bag though.

So Wintrolls use the arguement that Linux is invulnerable as a form of
attack? You sure about that?

>> despite it having large numbers of security
>> holes.

> Most of which are plugged in less than a month. Again, unlike windows
> where
> some have remained for years.

You`re comparing apples and aranges here. You state that most Linux
exploits are fixed in under a month, and then complain that Windows still
has security holes that have existed for years. From the information given,
it can also be equally argued that Windows has most holes patched within a
month, and that Linux has some that exist for years.

>> Vista does everything I want a machine to do, is easier to support
>> than any of the alternatives, hence its an easy choice.

> It's a dog. Even microsoft admits it's a failure. If you like it then
> booyaaa, so what? who cares? Good for you.
> What you're crossposting to COLA for slagging off linux users is a
> different
> matter.

I`m replying to a thread in a newsgroup I read, and I don`t trim groups when
replying.

Andrew Halliwell 05-23-2009 02:42 PM

Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Simon Finnigan <simonfinnigan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> No-one with clue ever claimed that.
>> Only the wintrolls use that argument as a form of attack.
>> Linux is fort knox compared to the windows wet paper bag though.

> So Wintrolls use the arguement that Linux is invulnerable as a form of
> attack? You sure about that?

As a form of attack against linux advocates by claiming that they said it,
yes.

> You`re comparing apples and aranges here. You state that most Linux
> exploits are fixed in under a month, and then complain that Windows still
> has security holes that have existed for years. From the information given,
> it can also be equally argued that Windows has most holes patched within a
> month, and that Linux has some that exist for years.

Known ones?

Simon Finnigan 05-23-2009 02:51 PM

"Terry Porter" <linux-2@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
news:R4KdnZcDmtSJYorXnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@netspace.net .au...
> Simon Finnigan wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I`m replying to a thread in a newsgroup I read, and I don`t trim groups
>> when replying.

> It's always a good idea to trim, unless the Windows Advocates want to
> argue
> with the Linux Advocates from one group to another and play into the hands
> of the OP ?

That`s as maybe, but when you start trimming then people following the
thread in one group or another miss out on other peoples posts.

Simon Finnigan 05-23-2009 04:11 PM

> Simon Finnigan <simonfinnigan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> No-one with clue ever claimed that.
>>> Only the wintrolls use that argument as a form of attack.
>>> Linux is fort knox compared to the windows wet paper bag though.

>> So Wintrolls use the arguement that Linux is invulnerable as a form of
>> attack? You sure about that?

> As a form of attack against linux advocates by claiming that they said it,
> yes.
>
>> You`re comparing apples and aranges here. You state that most Linux
>> exploits are fixed in under a month, and then complain that Windows still
>> has security holes that have existed for years. From the information
>> given,
>> it can also be equally argued that Windows has most holes patched within
>> month, and that Linux has some that exist for years.

> Known ones?

Now you`re changing the terms - your original arguement was utterly useless,
you where comparing two things that are unrelated.