Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't install Java Runtime Environment (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t684924-cant-install-java-runtime-environment.html)

alan 05-21-2009 12:18 AM

Can't install Java Runtime Environment

Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.

Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation fails
with this error message:

"Error 1402. Could not open key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

I've googled around for an explanation, and haven't been able to come up
with anything.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
--
alan

Chris P. Bacon 05-21-2009 12:26 AM

Re: Can't install Java Runtime Environment

On 2009-05-21, alan <in_flagrante@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>
> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation fails
> with this error message:
>
> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
> access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Is your account and administer? Have you tried to run regedit (don't do
it, just try to open it Start -> Run -> regedit

* CPB - Support the UIP http://improve-usenet.org
* RLU 451587

VanguardLH 05-21-2009 12:39 AM

alan wrote:

> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>
> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation fails
> with this error message:
>
> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
> access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

So are you logged in under an admin-level account so you have permission
to install software?

If you still cannot install under an admin-level account, go into
Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel to uninstall ALL versions of
the Java runtime softwares. Then install just one version.

Make sure you get the plug-in from java.sun.com, not from some site that
alerts you need it. http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and
pick the "Java SE Runtime Environment" download. If you have the 64-bit
version of Windows XP, make sure to select the Windows x64 download.

alan 05-21-2009 12:42 AM

"Chris P. Bacon" <cpb@snugglebutt.INVALID> wrote in message
> On 2009-05-21, alan <in_flagrante@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>>
>> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation
>> fails
>> with this error message:
>>
>> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
>> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
>> access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

> Is your account and administer? Have you tried to run regedit (don't do
> it, just try to open it Start -> Run -> regedit

Well, I've always *thought* I had administrative privileges --- never had
any problems installing other programs like Quicktime, Adobe Flash, etc.
How do I check to see if I *do* have admin privileges? And if I don't, how
do I get them?
No, I haven't tried to run regedit. Since I don't feel comfortable editing
my registry, I don't even want to try . . .
Thanks . . .
--
alan

alan 05-21-2009 12:54 AM

> alan wrote:
>
>> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>>
>> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation
>> fails
>> with this error message:
>>
>> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
>> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
>> access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

> So are you logged in under an admin-level account so you have permission
> to install software?

Since I've installed other software in the past, I assume I'm logged in at
admin-level. How do I know if it *is* admin level? (I'm the only user and
it's not on any network).
If, for some weird reason, I longer am admin-level, how do I correct that?

> If you still cannot install under an admin-level account, go into
> Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel to uninstall ALL versions of
> the Java runtime softwares. Then install just one version.

There are no previous versions of Java on my computer.

> Make sure you get the plug-in from java.sun.com, not from some site that
> alerts you need it. http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and
> pick the "Java SE Runtime Environment" download. If you have the 64-bit
> version of Windows XP, make sure to select the Windows x64 download.

I hadn't downloaded it from that particular *page* of sun, so I tried the
link you supplied --- same result, same error message.

Thanks.
--
alan

Dan C 05-21-2009 02:38 AM

On Wed, 20 May 2009 17:18:48 -0700, alan wrote:

> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>
> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation
> fails with this error message:
>
> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment. Verify
> that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support
> personnel."
>
> I've googled around for an explanation, and haven't been able to come up
> with anything.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Classic symptoms of a hard drive in need of formatting. Git-r-done.

Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

wisdomkiller & pain 05-21-2009 03:37 AM

alan wrote:

> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>
> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation fails
> with this error message:
>
> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
> access to that key, or contact your support personnel."
>
> I've googled around for an explanation, and haven't been able to come up
> with anything.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

Citation fom a thread in
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/messag...sage.id=148774

"The error message was actually coming from the Microsoft Installer, not
from anything related to National Instruments. Also, ironically, what the
message said was spot on with one exception, while I personally had access
to the registry key, the installer didn’t. What I ended up doing was going
into the registry using regedit and setting the permissions on the key in
questions such that “Everyone” had full access. After that I uninstalled
LabView then reinstalled and it worked fine this time. The step by step
follows:

1) Open the registry editor by selecting "Run" from the start menu and then
typing in "regedit".

2) Browse through the registry and select the entry mentioned in the error
message.

3) Choose "Permissions..." from either the edit menu or by right-clicking on
the registry key's parent directory.

4) Click the "Advanced" button to add a new user.

5) Type in "Everyone" as the new user and click OK (it may not be necessary
to give everyone full control but this is what I did and it worked).

6) Configure the permissions for user "Everyone" to "Full Control"

7) Uninstall LabView (if necessary) and re-install."

(Of course, you may omit step 7 here)

VanguardLH 05-21-2009 04:47 AM

alan wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote ...
>>
>> alan wrote:
>>
>>> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>>>
>>> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation
>>> fails with this error message:
>>>
>>> "Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
>>> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient access to
>>> that key, or contact your support personnel."

>> So are you logged in under an admin-level account so you have
>> permission to install software?

> Since I've installed other software in the past, I assume I'm logged
> in at admin-level. How do I know if it *is* admin level? (I'm the
> only user and it's not on any network). If, for some weird reason, I
> longer am admin-level, how do I correct that?

Use the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and look at your account
under which you log into Windows. Look next to the icon for a summary
of account settings. Also, if you don't see the "Change my account
type" then you are NOT logged under an admin-level account. If your
account is not an admin-level account, logout and login using the
built-in Administrator account.

alan 05-21-2009 05:19 AM

> alan wrote:

>>> So are you logged in under an admin-level account so you have
>>> permission to install software?

>> Since I've installed other software in the past, I assume I'm logged
>> in at admin-level. How do I know if it *is* admin level? (I'm the
>> only user and it's not on any network). If, for some weird reason, I
>> longer am admin-level, how do I correct that?

> Use the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and look at your account
> under which you log into Windows. Look next to the icon for a summary
> of account settings. Also, if you don't see the "Change my account
> type" then you are NOT logged under an admin-level account. If your
> account is not an admin-level account, logout and login using the
> built-in Administrator account.

In User Accounts, it shows:
Pick a task ...
change an acct
crearte a new acct
change the way users log on or off

or pick an acct to change
(under which two icons show: "Administrator [Computer Administrator]" and
"Guest" [Guest acct is off]

Although it's a bit different from what you've described, I'd say it's safe
to assume from the above that I am, in fact, logged in on an admin-level
account.

Footnote: as I think I mentioned before, I've downloaded and installed
plenty of programs before, and just to test it again, I successfully
downloaded and installed GIMP just a few minutes ago with no problems . . .
I also tried downloading and installing an older version of Runtime (5.0),
but got the same error message . . . very weird.
Thanks again for your help.

VanguardLH 05-21-2009 09:00 AM

alan wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> alan wrote:
>>
>>> "VanguardLH" wrote ...

>>> Since I've installed other software in the past, I assume I'm logged
>>> in at admin-level. How do I know if it *is* admin level? (I'm the
>>> only user and it's not on any network). If, for some weird reason, I
>>> longer am admin-level, how do I correct that?

>> Use the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and look at your account
>> under which you log into Windows. Look next to the icon for a summary
>> of account settings. Also, if you don't see the "Change my account
>> type" then you are NOT logged under an admin-level account. If your
>> account is not an admin-level account, logout and login using the
>> built-in Administrator account.

Guess it was obvious to me but not to you.

> In User Accounts, it shows:
> Pick a task ...
> change an acct

Pick an account.

> crearte a new acct
> change the way users log on or off
>
> or pick an acct to change
> (under which two icons show: "Administrator [Computer Administrator]" and
> "Guest" [Guest acct is off]

Pick an account. However, since only Administrator is shown, that must
be the account under which you have been logging under -- a very UNWISE
decision. If your user profile gets corrupted, you won't have an
admin-level account to repair the corrupted profile or to define a new
user account. The Administrator account should NEVER be used for
anything other than an emergency.

It's a bit odd that you had no clue as to under what account you were
logging into Windows.

> Although it's a bit different from what you've described, I'd say it's safe
> to assume from the above that I am, in fact, logged in on an admin-level
> account.

Right-clicking on My Computer icon in the desktop and looking at
properties would've shown the account name under which you login.

> Footnote: as I think I mentioned before, I've downloaded and installed
> plenty of programs before, and just to test it again, I successfully
> downloaded and installed GIMP just a few minutes ago with no problems . . .
> I also tried downloading and installing an older version of Runtime (5.0),
> but got the same error message . . . very weird.

Haven't a clue WHOSE runtime libraries you installed.

Have you gone into the registry and right-clicked on the identified key
to then look at what permissions are on that key?

Have you tried booting into Windows' Safe Mode and then tried the
stand-alone Flash installer?