Velocity Reviews

-   -   Network slow to respond after Sleep (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t684151-network-slow-to-respond-after-sleep.html)

David B. Mathews 05-15-2009 11:43 AM

Network slow to respond after Sleep

I have Vista Ult. 64 and when my computer wakes from sleep the network takes
about 40 sec. to come back to life. If I get in a hurry and forget and
click on IE before the network comes back up I lose the connection and have
to shut down computer, unplug the cable modem and router resetting
everything then reboot computer to get back the network I have heard this
is normal and Windows 7 will fix this problem to a point. What I want to
know is has anyone figured out a fix or at least some kind of work around to
at least help out with the problem. I have reformatted and installed
operating system a couple times for different reasons and that never helped.

Carlos 05-15-2009 02:27 PM

RE: Network slow to respond after Sleep

David,
Make sure you are using the latest drivers for your network card or network
chipset.
Not the vanilla ones supplied by Vista, but the ones supplied by your
manufacturer's motherboard or - better yet - by the actual manufacturer of
the network chipset embedded in your mobo.
You might also want to check your network adapter properties in Device
Manager.
There is usually a setting under "Advanced Options" named "Wake Up type".
Make sure it is OS controlled.
Another course of action might be installing a (cheap) PCI network card and
see if the issue disappears.
Carlos

David B. Mathews 05-16-2009 01:56 PM

Re: Network slow to respond after Sleep

When I reformatted and went with Vista 64 I installed the Dell drivers for
my network card but they were over a year older than what I found on the
network cards website so I installed those plus I unclicked let computer
turn off this device to save power and now the network is back up and
running in about 5 sec. after sleep instead of the 40+ sec. before. Thanks
for the help.

David B. Mathews 05-16-2009 01:57 PM