Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pretty printing compiler error messages for the web (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t684073-pretty-printing-compiler-error-messages-for-the-web.html)

Daniel 05-14-2009 09:14 PM

Pretty printing compiler error messages for the web

We have a nightly build of our software which produces large amounts
of output (build and test logs) that goes up on the web. The output is
really hard scan for build issues in a web browser since it is all
text with little formatting. As a result it would be quite nice to
have it made prettier, like, for example, the emacs compile mode. I
haven't been able to find any filters to do this though (but perhaps I
just have the wrong key words :-). Any pointers? Thanks.

Victor Bazarov 05-14-2009 09:30 PM

Re: Pretty printing compiler error messages for the web

www.doxygen.org?

Vladimir Jovic 05-15-2009 08:48 AM

http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/

Pascal J. Bourguignon 05-15-2009 09:10 AM

Daniel <drussel@gmail.com> writes:

> We have a nightly build of our software which produces large amounts
> of output (build and test logs) that goes up on the web. The output is
> really hard scan for build issues in a web browser since it is all
> text with little formatting. As a result it would be quite nice to
> have it made prettier, like, for example, the emacs compile mode. I
> haven't been able to find any filters to do this though (but perhaps I
> just have the wrong key words :-). Any pointers? Thanks.

You may fetch the web pages (w3m-retrieve), parse and process the
HTML/XML to format it line by line, and put the buffer in
compilation-mode.

You don't necessarily need to format it exactly like gcc errors, since
compilation-mode uses configurable regexps to scan the
errors. (compilation-error-regexp-alist and
compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__