Velocity Reviews

-   -   Strange keyboard problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t683989-strange-keyboard-problem.html)

Chris White 05-14-2009 09:21 AM

Strange keyboard problem

Hi all

I have 3 machines connected together with a KVM switch. This morning on two
of them I could not type as if I type QWERTY it comes out as
^Q^W^E^R^T^Y....

Then I removed the faulty machines from the KVM, and connected another set
of keyboard and mouse to it directly but still same problem!! it is as if
something in the software of these machines had been affected....

Mouse however works well, but keyboard is working erratically!

Can someone suggest something?

Thanks

JohnB 05-14-2009 03:12 PM

Re: Strange keyboard problem

I would suspect the KVM if:

- you tried more than one PC on the faulty KVM port
- you've tried more than one mouse/keyboard combination on the faulty KVM
port
- a PC works fine off the KVM, but does not work fine on the faulty KVM port

> Can someone suggest something?

Try a different KVM

FrisbeeŽ 05-14-2009 11:00 PM

Chris White wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have 3 machines connected together with a KVM switch. This morning
> on two of them I could not type as if I type QWERTY it comes out as
> ^Q^W^E^R^T^Y....
>
> Then I removed the faulty machines from the KVM, and connected
> another set of keyboard and mouse to it directly but still same
> problem!! it is as if something in the software of these machines had
> been affected....
> Mouse however works well, but keyboard is working erratically!
>
> Can someone suggest something?
>
> Thanks

Stop holding down the ctrl and shift keys.

Jtyc 05-15-2009 12:44 AM

Re: Strange keyboard problem

> Stop holding down the ctrl and shift keys.

I can't type at all holding those down. I don't think that that was his
problem.

FrisbeeŽ 05-15-2009 02:09 AM

Jtyc wrote:
>> Stop holding down the ctrl and shift keys.

> I can't type at all holding those down. I don't think that that was
> his problem.

Well, try capslock.

Chris White 05-15-2009 07:28 AM

Re: Strange keyboard problem

The problem is that now I cannot type! I changed keyboard and nothing is
happening...

I also connected a USB keyboard but nothing is coming up! the
caps-num-scroll LEDs wont even light up...

and the machine is a 24x7 server and I cannot turn it offf..

is there a way how I could connect to the DOS CLI of this server remotely??
this way at least I would be able to shut some services to minimize data
corruption when I will have to force reset the machine

JohnB 05-15-2009 02:35 PM

Re: Strange keyboard problem

Did you try Remote Desktop to get in?

Jtyc 05-15-2009 03:16 PM

Re: Strange keyboard problem

> Well, try capslock.

WELL... IT SEEMS TO TYPE OK BUT I THINK THIS IS POOR NEWSGROUP ETIQUETTE
ISN'T IT?

WAIT... WHAT WAS I TRYING TO PROVE AGAIN?

Kline Sphere 05-15-2009 04:52 PM

Re: Strange keyboard problem

best nuke pakistan just to be sure it's nothing to do with them, after
all, you never know....

On Fri, 15 May 2009 09:28:19 +0200, "Chris White" <cw@msn.com> wrote:

>The problem is that now I cannot type! I changed keyboard and nothing is
>happening...
>
>I also connected a USB keyboard but nothing is coming up! the
>caps-num-scroll LEDs wont even light up...
>
>and the machine is a 24x7 server and I cannot turn it offf..
>
>is there a way how I could connect to the DOS CLI of this server remotely??
>this way at least I would be able to shut some services to minimize data
>corruption when I will have to force reset the machine
>

>"FrisbeeŽ" <discgolfdad@gEEmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> I can't type at all holding those down. I don't think that that was
>>> his problem.

>> Well, try capslock.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3