Velocity Reviews

-   -   Another dead Dynalink (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t683938-another-dead-dynalink.html)

PeeCee 05-13-2009 10:21 PM

Another dead Dynalink

FWIW

RMA'd 'another' dead Dynalink Broadband Modem yesterday (RTA1335)
Makes about an even dozen now in the last year.
Same symptoms flakey LAN and on/off Net access.
This one is even inside warranty for a change.

For comparison over the last few 'years' I've had 'one' other dead BB modem
and that died from a lightning strike!

P.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-14-2009 02:20 AM

Re: Another dead Dynalink

In message <4a0b802f$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, vitw wrote:

> I bought a generic unbadged ethernet ADSL modem (Conexant firmware) from
> XP Computers in Newmarket 5 years ago for $60, and it hasn't missed a
> beat!

Yeah, I got something like that. Dick Smith product code XH1172, I see they
have a new one, the XH9972. Just a modem, no routing--all the routing, NAT
and packet filtering is done on my Linux box.

JohnO 05-14-2009 02:47 AM

Re: Another dead Dynalink

On May 14, 2:20*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <4a0b802...@news.orcon.net.nz>, vitw wrote:
>
> > I bought a generic unbadged ethernet ADSL modem (Conexant firmware) from
> > XP Computers in Newmarket 5 years ago for $60, and it hasn't missed a
> > beat!

> Yeah, I got something like that. Dick Smith product code XH1172, I see they
> have a new one, the XH9972. Just a modem, no routing--all the routing, NAT
> and packet filtering is done on my Linux box.

I have a Netgear DG834G modem/router/wifi and it seems to still be
going fine after a couple of years. I do need to reboot it every
couple of months but that's probably because it's a linux based
appliance! :-)

I do need to check if it's adsl2+ compatible though. Our street
cabinet is only one house away so am hoping for close to 20mb/sec
download 1mb/sec upload. Currently get gets 5-6mbit/sec on plain ol'
adsl,

Dogboy 05-16-2009 10:22 AM

Re: Another dead Dynalink

PeeCee wrote:
> FWIW
>
> RMA'd 'another' dead Dynalink Broadband Modem yesterday (RTA1335)
> Makes about an even dozen now in the last year.
> Same symptoms flakey LAN and on/off Net access.
> This one is even inside warranty for a change.
>
> For comparison over the last few 'years' I've had 'one' other dead BB
> modem and that died from a lightning strike!

Dynalink seems to be the new D-Link these days, I've seen a number of
them die or have strange faults in the past year.

Enkidu 05-17-2009 04:19 AM

Re: Another dead Dynalink

Dogboy wrote:
> PeeCee wrote:
>> FWIW
>>
>> RMA'd 'another' dead Dynalink Broadband Modem yesterday (RTA1335)
>> Makes about an even dozen now in the last year.
>> Same symptoms flakey LAN and on/off Net access.
>> This one is even inside warranty for a change.
>>
>> For comparison over the last few 'years' I've had 'one' other dead BB
>> modem and that died from a lightning strike!
>>

> Dynalink seems to be the new D-Link these days, I've seen a number of
> them die or have strange faults in the past year.

I had a USR one to test. It wouldn't even connect, though several much
cheaper brands had no problems.

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair 05-17-2009 11:21 PM

Re: Another dead Dynalink

In article <gufh7m$4h1$1@news.albasani.net>, "PeeCee" <abuse@local.host> wrote:
>FWIW
>
>RMA'd 'another' dead Dynalink Broadband Modem yesterday (RTA1335)
>Makes about an even dozen now in the last year.
>Same symptoms flakey LAN and on/off Net access.
>This one is even inside warranty for a change.
>
>For comparison over the last few 'years' I've had 'one' other dead BB modem
>and that died from a lightning strike!

My experience (from a long time ago) says that if it's broken, dynalink will
replace it. Has that policy changed ?