Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need a way to see employeed surfing habits (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t683557-need-a-way-to-see-employeed-surfing-habits.html)

Paul 05-11-2009 04:22 PM

Need a way to see employeed surfing habits

Hi, sorry if this in't the best the wrong group for this query. I've
been asked to find software that will see what websites our 25
employees are going to. Does anyone know any software that's good for
this purpose?

I do not want to have to install anything on the workstations
themselves unless absolutely neccessary. I don't need full on
keylogging or anything either - just simply websites viewed.

Also just to complicate things further, the workstations are XP,
Vista, and OSx too. Is there something that just scans port 80
perhaps that would do the job? I'm using a BT Business router that
can't log websites vistied. I don't want to install ISA either
really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rob Moir 05-11-2009 05:42 PM

Re: Need a way to see employeed surfing habits

"Paul" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, sorry if this in't the best the wrong group for this query. I've
> been asked to find software that will see what websites our 25
> employees are going to. Does anyone know any software that's good for
> this purpose?
>
> I do not want to have to install anything on the workstations
> themselves unless absolutely neccessary. I don't need full on
> keylogging or anything either - just simply websites viewed.
>
> Also just to complicate things further, the workstations are XP,
> Vista, and OSx too. Is there something that just scans port 80
> perhaps that would do the job? I'm using a BT Business router that
> can't log websites vistied. I don't want to install ISA either
> really.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It really does sound like you need a proxy of some kind.
Squid is still free, I think.

smlunatick 05-11-2009 05:50 PM

On May 11, 5:22*pm, Paul <turnerp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, sorry if this in't the best the wrong group for this query. *I've
> been asked to find software that will see what websites our 25
> employees are going to. *Does anyone know any software that's good for
> this purpose?
>
> I do not want to have to install anything on the workstations
> themselves unless absolutely neccessary. *I don't need full on
> keylogging or anything either - just simply websites viewed.
>
> Also just to complicate things further, the workstations are XP,
> Vista, and OSx too. *Is there something that just scans port 80
> perhaps that would do the job? *I'm using a BT Business router that
> can't log websites vistied. *I don't want to install ISA either
> really.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. * Thanks

I do not know of any softeare but I do know of a hardware device that
will monitor all Internet activity. The freeGuard Capture line of
products, from Freedom9, will monitor all"

web urls
emails sent / received -- POP, IMAP, SMTP
instant messenger sessions.
telnet "login" sessions
FTP transfers

No software required.
Not a "proxy" -- can be set up as a "transparent" pass-thorough
monitor.

Not sure what is your "budget."

Phillip Windell 05-11-2009 05:57 PM

Re: Need a way to see employeed surfing habits

"Paul" <turnerpaul@gmail.com> wrote in message
> perhaps that would do the job? I'm using a BT Business router that

Not much of a "business router" then. Actually if it was really a
"commercial grade" product they wouldn't be calling it a "router" since that
is the "home user" abuse of the term. They are not "routers".

> can't log websites vistied. I don't want to install ISA either
> really.

ISA does not do that either,...not in the kind of "big brother" details you
want. The logging does contain all the information,...but the Reporting
Features just aren't designed in that way,...they are design for creating
Summaries (like Top 10 Users,...Top 10 Visited Sites, etc.)

To get detailed reporting with ISA requires buying third party add-ons
($,$$$.$$) to perform that. There are serveral out there, but they all have
their problems and deficiencies, and they all can make a mess out of your
ISA if you aren't carefull.

All commerical level Firewalls log everything,...but the ability to create a
report from the logs and the details of such a report will vary greatly
between products. But I cannot speak for any other than ISA Server.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Technet Library
ISA2004
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx
ISA2006
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx

Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html

Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx

Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

Leroy 05-11-2009 06:52 PM

Re: Need a way to see employeed surfing habits

IamBigBrother Internet Monitoring Software:
http://www.iambigbrother.com/

Malke 05-11-2009 07:22 PM

Paul wrote:

> Hi, sorry if this in't the best the wrong group for this query. I've
> been asked to find software that will see what websites our 25
> employees are going to. Does anyone know any software that's good for
> this purpose?
>
> I do not want to have to install anything on the workstations
> themselves unless absolutely neccessary. I don't need full on
> keylogging or anything either - just simply websites viewed.
>
> Also just to complicate things further, the workstations are XP,
> Vista, and OSx too. Is there something that just scans port 80
> perhaps that would do the job? I'm using a BT Business router that
> can't log websites vistied. I don't want to install ISA either
> really.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

eBlaster
http://www.spectorsoft.com/

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Mel K. 05-11-2009 07:29 PM

Re: Need a way to see employeed surfing habits

You need to install a Web filter system/appliance. Also, note that there are
some issues with filtering https traffic (because https is encrypted). There
are several systems available, so just review some of them. Search for "web
filter."

If all you want to do is see which Web sites employees are visiting, you
could view your DNS server cache, but that doesn't tell you which user went
to which site, and trying to come up with a meaning report could be very
time consuming.

--
Thank you,
Mel K.

the wharf rat 05-11-2009 07:48 PM

Re: Need a way to see employeed surfing habits

In article <uifhe7m0JHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
Mel K. <Mel.K@nowhere.com> wrote:
>You need to install a Web filter system/appliance. Also, note that there are

He could use Snort for this.

Peter Foldes 05-11-2009 11:30 PM

Re: Need a way to see employeed surfing habits

Paul

I have used the following before with good results

http://www.squid-cache.org/Download/

--
Peter

Bruce Chambers 05-12-2009 01:24 AM

Paul wrote:
> Hi, sorry if this in't the best the wrong group for this query. I've
> been asked to find software that will see what websites our 25
> employees are going to. Does anyone know any software that's good for
> this purpose?
>
> I do not want to have to install anything on the workstations
> themselves unless absolutely neccessary. I don't need full on
> keylogging or anything either - just simply websites viewed.
>
> Also just to complicate things further, the workstations are XP,
> Vista, and OSx too. Is there something that just scans port 80
> perhaps that would do the job? I'm using a BT Business router that
> can't log websites vistied. I don't want to install ISA either
> really.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Your proxy server should include this capability; it's a fairly
standard feature.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: