Velocity Reviews

-   -   After the exams? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t683468-after-the-exams.html)

Ďǿň Ĵŭāň 05-11-2009 01:03 AM

After the exams?

Hi,

So let's say I eventually take both exams. I split them apart by a month or
something, but they are both completed. Now what? Does Microsoft
automatically recognize that I have passed both exams and award my
certification? Do I have to apply for "graduation" after successfully passing
both exams? I guess I'm just wondering how Microsoft is notified that you
made the grade.

Thanks!

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] 05-11-2009 02:49 PM

Re: After the exams?

"Ďǿň Ĵ*āň" <D?n Juan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> So let's say I eventually take both exams. I split them apart by a month
> or
> something, but they are both completed. Now what? Does Microsoft
> automatically recognize that I have passed both exams and award my
> certification?

Yes.

> Do I have to apply for "graduation" after successfully passing
> both exams?

No.

> I guess I'm just wondering how Microsoft is notified that you
> made the grade.

Once you complete the requirements for the credential, you'll have access to
the MCP secured site, where you'll able to see your transcript, which lists
all of the exams you've completed, and certifications you've been awarded.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

John R 05-11-2009 03:22 PM

Re: After the exams?

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <lawrence@news.postalias> wrote in message
> "Ďǿň Ĵ*āň" <D?n Juan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> So let's say I eventually take both exams. I split them apart by a month
>> or
>> something, but they are both completed. Now what? Does Microsoft
>> automatically recognize that I have passed both exams and award my
>> certification?

> Yes.
>
>> Do I have to apply for "graduation" after successfully passing
>> both exams?

> No.
>
>> I guess I'm just wondering how Microsoft is notified that you
>> made the grade.

> Once you complete the requirements for the credential, you'll have access
> to the MCP secured site, where you'll able to see your transcript, which
> lists all of the exams you've completed, and certifications you've been
> awarded.

You will however have to request your Welcome Kit on that same MCP site if
you want it. It will not automatically be sent to you. However, as
Lawrence pointed out, your transcript will automatically be updated and you
can claim the certification on resumes or job interviews or BS sessions with
your buddies. You can also setup a transcript sharing code to allow others
to view your transcript online for verification. Some employers require you
to setup a sharing code so that they can not only verify that you actually
earned the cert, but also that the cert is still valid and has not been
revoked for any reason. Other employers are oblivious.

John R

Ďǿň Ĵŭāň 05-11-2009 10:49 PM

Re: After the exams?

Thanks guys!

I take it you order your welcome kit once you access the MCP portal?

Dustin Harper 05-12-2009 01:31 AM

Re: After the exams?

It goes on your Microsoft transcript, and you gain whatever certifications
you have earned. It is automatic. If you take the required exams, you will
become an MCDST (after the 271 & 272 are finished). It can take about a week
for them to be added to your transcript, though.

--

Dustin Harper
http://www.mstechpages.com

Dustin Harper 05-12-2009 01:32 AM

Re: After the exams?

Yes, there is a link to where you can order your welcome kit at the MCP
portal.

--

Dustin Harper
http://www.mstechpages.com

Ďǿň Ĵŭāň 05-12-2009 01:39 AM

Re: After the exams?

Thanks for the info!

Do you at least know if you passed or not as son as the test finishes, or do
you have to wait for the official score?

John R 05-13-2009 02:47 AM

Re: After the exams?

> Thanks for the info!
>
> Do you at least know if you passed or not as son as the test finishes, or
> do
> you have to wait for the official score?

After you finish the last questions, you will have the opportunity to review
any items that you marked for review, or any other items. At some point,
you will be given an opportunity to end the exam. You will be given the
results of your exam (unless it is a beta, which 271 and 272 are not) about
5 seconds after you finish the exam. A screen will appear that will tell
you your score, if you passed, and a sectional score sheet will print out
for you which shows your relative strengths in each objective section of the
exam. At least, that is how Pearson Vue always has done it, I haven't taken
any tests at Prometric yet but I assume it is very similar.

John R

Ďǿň Ĵŭāň 05-14-2009 03:23 AM

Re: After the exams?

Thanks! I like the idea of knowing the score as soon as you hit the go
button. I signed up for Second Shot as well so hopefully if I don't make it
the first time, the second time will work and it won't cost anything. I'm
doing well in practice tests and I'm working in Desktop Support now, so I
gave a good feeling about the whole thing. I'm not real confident but I feel
good enough to try it out.

Thanks again!