Velocity Reviews

-   -   Measures to slow responsive computers & internet connection (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t682661-measures-to-slow-responsive-computers-and-internet-connection.html)

Scott 05-05-2009 12:53 PM

Measures to slow responsive computers & internet connection

Today I walked around our small office and heard the comments about slow
responsive computers & internet connection from most of colleagues. Is
there any step to improve such scenarios? Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Mike Easter 05-05-2009 12:59 PM

Re: Measures to slow responsive computers & internet connection

Scott wrote:
> Today I walked around our small office and heard the comments about slow
> responsive computers & internet connection from most of colleagues.

This premise is extremely ambiguous. It doesn't define the network's
connectivity at all.

> Is
> there any step to improve such scenarios?

Here's a similarly ambiguous answer. Yes.

>Your advice is appreciated.

The way to ask a question is to first construct a message body of complete
sentences only which makes no assumptions that the reader is the network
tech in your office and familiar with your office's network. Then you
make a very short subject title for the body. In neither subject nor body
is there a place for long incomplete sentences.

--
Mike Easter

why? 05-05-2009 04:39 PM

On Tue, 5 May 2009 20:53:50 +0800, Scott wrote:

>Today I walked around our small office and heard the comments about slow
>responsive computers & internet connection from most of colleagues. Is
>there any step to improve such scenarios? Your advice is appreciated.

That sounds like the twits at my place. This is just the latest from
last week.

- User to service manager - Network is slow, everyone complains, will
raise at management meeting.
- Service Manager to me - Network any problems?
- Me to SM - Not being rude, but there are no details.
- User to me, email (which is across the WAN), database (local).
- Me check MRTG graphs, switches, routers.
- WAN a bit higher % utilisation last week or so, no problems.
- LAN to database server, % util has dropped from yearly avg 4MBps const
day to 2 Mbps for the last 7 months.
- Check other graphs 5,7,10Mbps out of 1000Mbps.
- No problems, bandwidth, latency , port load, port errors.
------------

Okay you need to know what regular performance baseline is like to get a
feel of what's going on. Map out connections, link speeds, check any
port counters / errors stats depending on hardware switch / routers.

Is it local / remote traffic.

ISP bandwidth swamped.

Monitor offsite link.

Use a proxy server and restrict browsing to allowed sites.

Depending on OS / router setup up QoS allowing specific work traffic
that's important to get priority offsite.

Depending on what you have get some basic monitoring setup.

>Thanks,
>
>Scott

Me