Velocity Reviews

-   -   Block toolbar install (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t682599-block-toolbar-install.html)

Charles 05-04-2009 11:21 PM

Block toolbar install

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google, or
any browser toolbars?
Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars are
installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can avoid
them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even if the
user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of morons in our
office, who don't have the common sense to look before they click 'Next',
when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator rights,
and I can't change that.
I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or something like that,
not by installing anti-spyware programs.

Thanks!

Centre Parting 05-04-2009 11:25 PM

Re: Block toolbar install

IE - tools/options/advanced/enable third party browser extensions ?

Charlie Darwin 05-04-2009 11:31 PM

Re: Block toolbar install

"Charles" <a@b.com> wrote in message news:HLKLl.1890$S11.662@newsfe03.iad...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google,
> or any browser toolbars?
> Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars are
> installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can
> avoid them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even
> if the user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of morons
> in our office, who don't have the common sense to look before they click
> 'Next', when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator
> rights, and I can't change that.
> I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or something like that,
> not by installing anti-spyware programs.
>
> Thanks!

I think there's usually a Don't Install option that usually involves
unchecking a box when you're asked to accept the s/w license.

Charles 05-05-2009 01:50 AM

Re: Block toolbar install

"Centre Parting" <nokia.account@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> IE - tools/options/advanced/enable third party browser extensions ?
>
> Charles wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo,
>> Google, or any browser toolbars?
>> Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid
>> toolbars are installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom
>> install you can avoid them, but I am interested in a way to prevent
>> installing them even if the user doesn't uncheck the box. I am
>> dealing with a number of morons in our office, who don't have the
>> common sense to look before they click 'Next', when installing an
>> update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator rights, and I can't
>> change that. I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or
>> something like
>> that, not by installing anti-spyware programs.
>>
>> Thanks!

Thank you for your reply, I forgot to mention, most computers on the network
use Win XP, and couple of them use Vista. We avoid IE, and use Firefox 3.0,
which doesn't seem to offer this option. As far as I remember the last time
I looked, the Google toolbar can be uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs,
while the Yahoo bar doesn't show, it is installed apparently as an add-on to
the browsers.
However, it seems that every website now has a toolbar. I'm looking for an
universal fix, to prevent installing any toolbar, even if the moronic user
forgets to uncheck that option, and no matter how enticing that toolbar may
sound to him/her.

Thanks again!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-05-2009 05:47 AM

Re: Block toolbar install

"Charles" <a@b.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google, or
>any browser toolbars?
>Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars are
>installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can avoid
>them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even if the
>user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of morons in our
>office, who don't have the common sense to look before they click 'Next',
>when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator rights,
>and I can't change that.
>I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or something like that,
>not by installing anti-spyware programs.
>
>Thanks!

Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
SECPOL.MSC
<enter>

Find a policy that will do what you want (XP pro only)
--

http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-b...recovery-tools

VanguardLH 05-05-2009 07:46 AM

Re: Block toolbar install

Charles wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google, or
> any browser toolbars?
> Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars are
> installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can avoid
> them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even if the
> user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of morons in our
> office, who don't have the common sense to look before they click 'Next',
> when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator rights,
> and I can't change that.
> I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or something like that,
> not by installing anti-spyware programs.
>
> Thanks!

You answered your own question. Those users are allowed to be
administrators. That means, well, that they are administrators. You
don't get any higher privileges than they do, and that means anything
you do to screw over (or unscrew) that they can do, too. Obviously you
don't have the power to establish company policies and, for example, if
the user violates them then they are not granted permission to the
network (i.e., they get to use a standalone host and, as admins, get to
pollute it however they want).

Charles 05-05-2009 08:43 AM

Re: Block toolbar install

"Steve" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> In article <HLKLl.1890$S11.662@newsfe03.iad>, a@b.com says...
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google,
>> or
>> any browser toolbars?
>> Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars
>> are
>> installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can
>> avoid
>> them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even if the
>> user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of morons in our
>> office, who don't have the common sense to look before they click 'Next',
>> when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator
>> rights,
>> and I can't change that.

> If you can't change that it means you do not have the clout to get what
> you want to do done. So just look at it as insured continued employment
> durng a recession and count the days 'till retirement.

I wasn't aiming to discuss office politics. If you really need to know the
details, I can't tell the president of the company to login as guest, but
I'm getting a little tired of him asking me how the damn Yahoo toolbar
re-appeared in his browser, and asking me to remove it for him every few
days.
My job security is not an issue, I'm financially secure enough to retire if
this company goes belly up, and unless that happens, they can't afford to
fire me. I have other skills that make me indispensable. I am not actually
an IT, and I don't get paid for it, I just do this as a favor.
I hope this answers your concerns, thanks for your technical approach to my
question, your input was very helpful.

Charles 05-05-2009 09:12 AM

Re: Block toolbar install

> Charles wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google,
>> or
>> any browser toolbars?
>> Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars
>> are
>> installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can
>> avoid
>> them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even if the
>> user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of morons in our
>> office, who don't have the common sense to look before they click 'Next',
>> when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator
>> rights,
>> and I can't change that.
>> I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or something like that,
>> not by installing anti-spyware programs.
>>
>> Thanks!

> You answered your own question. Those users are allowed to be
> administrators. That means, well, that they are administrators. You
> don't get any higher privileges than they do, and that means anything
> you do to screw over (or unscrew) that they can do, too. Obviously you
> don't have the power to establish company policies and, for example, if
> the user violates them then they are not granted permission to the
> network (i.e., they get to use a standalone host and, as admins, get to
> pollute it however they want).

I felt that my question was pretty simple:
'Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google, or
any browser toolbars?'
Please let me clarify that: I don't want to keep them from installing
software, I just want to block specific software, such as browser toolbars,
for both IE and FF. This has nothing to do with my job description.

Charles 05-05-2009 09:37 AM

Re: Block toolbar install

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> "Charles" <a@b.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google,
>>or
>>any browser toolbars?
>>Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars are
>>installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can
>>avoid
>>them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even if the
>>user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of morons in our
>>office, who don't have the common sense to look before they click 'Next',
>>when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator rights,
>>and I can't change that.
>>I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or something like that,
>>not by installing anti-spyware programs.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

> Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
> SECPOL.MSC
> <enter>
>
> Find a policy that will do what you want (XP pro only)
> --
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-b...recovery-tools

Your answer is very close, but I don't think I can block specific software
(browser toolbars) from being installed, that way. Not for Firefox, anyway.
I was hoping that someone might know of a way to prevent any software
containing words like 'Yahoo' or 'Google', from being installed. On the
other hand, Google is the favorite homepage, so I can't block it in their
hosts file.
I don't have anything against Google, but I don't see any reason for a
Google toolbar, when your browser home page is already set to Google, same
goes for Yahoo.

Charles 05-05-2009 10:03 AM

Re: Block toolbar install

> In article <6%SLl.2046$S11.1890@newsfe03.iad>, a@b.com says...
>>
>> "Steve" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> >

> <snip
>> >
>> > If you can't change that it means you do not have the clout to get what
>> > you want to do done. So just look at it as insured continued employment
>> > durng a recession and count the days 'till retirement.
>> >

>> I wasn't aiming to discuss office politics.

> You don't have to. I understand the situation perfectly.
>
>> If you really need to know the
>> details, I can't tell the president of the company to login as guest,

> You are aware there is another option besides guest and administrator?
>
>> but
>> I'm getting a little tired of him asking me how the damn Yahoo toolbar
>> re-appeared in his browser,

> You do tell him don't you?
>
>> and asking me to remove it for him every few
>> days.

> If he's the boss, I guess he can waste his money any way he wants to.
>
>> My job security is not an issue, I'm financially secure enough to retire
>> if
>> this company goes belly up, and unless that happens, they can't afford to
>> fire me.

> Then show him why he's the one screwing up his computer.
>
>>I have other skills that make me indispensable. I am not actually
>> an IT, and I don't get paid for it, I just do this as a favor.

> Then tell him it's not in your job description and quit doing it.
>
>> I hope this answers your concerns, thanks for your technical approach to
>> my
>> question, your input was very helpful.

> Was that sarcasm?
>
> You want a technical answer to a socio/political problem. There's no such
> thing.
>
> <snip>

There are tehnical answers to socio/political problems. Weapons, for
example.
You don't understand, you just think you do. This is not a question of
'whodunnit', of course I repeatedly told everyone to look before they click
'next'. They are oblivious of it, they just want to get the update over with
asap, and don't pay attention.
I am not the kind of guy who answers a cry for help, with: "It's not my
job!"
Again, this has nothing to do with my job description, the state of the
economy, swine flu, or the conflict in the Middle East.
If you can answer, I appreciate it, if not, I'll appreciate if you let
someone else do it.